Jump to content
zarenx

Fobs and HAB's

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

do we really need the HAB? it takes ages to get a fob up and it seems that people just plays without a fob cause it is just a hassel. can't we just have it like it is in PR? it will be much better gameplay cause then you only need to put down a single unit, then you have a timer that starts(2min) before the fob is spawnable.

Edited by zarenx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also prefer PR's system, there's more weight to the FOB as an objective when it requires supplies, has to be built and can be overrun more easily.

 

But I want to wait and see how the Squad's implementation will evolve, devs probably have more stuff planned.

 

I'm sure someone is going to make a PR mod further down the line though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally like the HAB. What's the problem with it? A FOB shouldn't be rushed anyway, it should be somewhat thought out. The HABs allow you to choose exactly where you spawn within your FOB area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FOBs have a lot of limiting factors.

 

1) There's a lot of coordination requirements. You need 3 people in a squad to get a truck, 2 people present at the truck to even start driving it, and there needs to be 3 people huddled around the SL to make the radio

2) The trucks are underpowered/overweight, and the map geometry is dangerous. It's very easy to get vehicles stuck on walls, a lot of trees can not be driven through/have oversized collision boxes, and steep hills are simply impossible to climb

3) The habitats are large, and therefore easy to spot

4) The maps aren't that big for the most part and 400m need to be between FOBs

 

I'm not saying that these are all bad things, there absolutely need to be restrictions on FOBs, they're very powerful tools, and, I also think its properly realistic that the trucks aren't lightweight offroading machines. I think all of these restrictions are probably well adjusted for larger maps, and especially once we get helicopters. There won't be any problems with running logistics, or putting FOBs anywhere in the map. Not to mention the distance between fob restrictions and hab size will be lost on the sheer size of the map.

 

For the smaller maps, it seems like you might get one or two fobs on the map, and most of the forward spawning is done by rallies. I dont think this necessarily bad, but, I could also be in favour of more FOBs..

 

I think a decent solution would be a lighter, smaller, faster logistics vehicle that gives less supplies. Like a Logi Humvee that can supply a fob for ~300 points. Moving faster, being capable of climbing steeper hills and getting through tighter gaps would let people build more fobs. The trucks would still be relevant because if you wanted to build ammo crates, and fortifications the humvee would not be practical. Plus, when mortars, AT, and AA are part of FOB building the trucks will be even more relevant.

Edited by 40mmrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has definitely slowed the pace of the game down with the HABs, it's going to make more sense when the mortars get added - when you can use the FOB as a weapon instead of just using emplacements defensively (for the most part anyway). when more vehicles are added and the development progresses the FOBs will matter much more and that will make up for the time it takes to build. - for this specific patch version v9.2 i tend to agree it is a little underpowered..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the new HAB system. The time and effort required to construct an active FOB means that they wont be placed haphazardly near every objective. It also helps bring FOBs closer to becoming dynamic objectives, along with the introduction of offensive emplacements as mentioned by @Shovely Joe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disagree with op, this HAB system is a giant leap in Meta towards more... reasonable battles. I for one hated the gameplay where you'd have a squad of 3 guys walk around the map placing FOBs as they go, saturating the map with spawnpoints. The need for Logis to set a spawn up quickly is imho the best decision the devs have made in a long time as it promotes cross-squad comms and overall teamplay. 

 

I haven't seen many games without a FOB/HAB if we don't count the free weekend, usually teams are smart enough to place one or two on the map to keep the game going nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fieldfare said:

Disagree with op, this HAB system is a giant leap in Meta towards more... reasonable battles. I for one hated the gameplay where you'd have a squad of 3 guys walk around the map placing FOBs as they go, saturating the map with spawnpoints. The need for Logis to set a spawn up quickly is imho the best decision the devs have made in a long time as it promotes cross-squad comms and overall teamplay. 

 

I haven't seen many games without a FOB/HAB if we don't count the free weekend, usually teams are smart enough to place one or two on the map to keep the game going nicely.

PR,Bf2 does not have a HAB and that worked perfectly. the Devs off this game is trying to make some similar stuff with this game. im just saying that there is no need to re-invent the powder.

Edited by zarenx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zarenx said:

PR,Bf2 does not have a HAB and that worked perfectly. the Devs off this game is trying to make some similar stuff with this game. im just saying that there is no need to re-invent the powder.

 
 

Well, the thing is it is not PR, but is something definitely inspired by it. It is not supposed to have the same assets to be enjoyable and reasonable 

Edited by RevolT
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is a game to carry on the legacy, the community have testet out something similiar before in PR and the FOB solution the mod ended up with is the best one. correct me if im wrong.

Skjermbilde 1.PNG

but sure, lets wait and see what the game will end up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/04/2017 at 6:43 PM, zarenx said:

do we really need the HAB? it takes ages to get a fob up and it seems that people just plays without a fob cause it is just a hassel. can't we just have it like it is in PR? it will be much better gameplay cause then you only need to put down a single unit, then you have a timer that starts(2min) before the fob is spawnable.

Isn't this almost like it is in PR anyway? If you consider the FOB radio a marker then in either game a logi truck has to supply that point so people can dig a spawn point. The crates in PR are pretty much the only difference. Maybe the devs will even add those when they put in transport helis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×