Jump to content
steffenbk1

This is what i hate about free weekends

Recommended Posts

This is what i dreaded about the upcoming free week. People just playing it for a few minutts to an hour and ranting about how they cant get a 20+ kill strek etc etc...    

Skjermbilde96.PNG

da.PNG

Edited by steffenbk1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, koschilein said:

Don´t worry about it, these reviews do not count to the percentage rating anymore, only if they bought the game.

true, but it still annoys the hell out of me that they dont understand that this isn't a typical fps run and gun game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, steffenbk1 said:

true, but it still annoys the hell out of me that they dont understand that this isn't a typical fps run and gun game.

I guess some of those are just trolls and the other ones are people for which Squad just isn't the right game. But I get where you are coming from, some of those are really terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Arcapse   
5 minutes ago, koschilein said:

Don´t worry about it, these reviews do not count to the percentage rating anymore, only if they bought the game.

That's awesome! Still wouldn't hurt to encourage new and existing players to drop a good review though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SgtHerhi   

As soon as the tidal wave of shite settles the positive reviews of people who were actually busy playing it through the weekend and possibly have bought it and are excited to play post-freeweekend will fill in the slot. It's just useless toxic noice of mostly kids now. The kind that expects to play a free call of duty for the weekend and don't get it. The type of people that aren't even close to being possible customers anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite sad how AAA games set up the standards and any good fps game that is outside of the standards will be hated by the uneducated gamers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40mmrain   

I'd be pretty alarmed if there weren't reviews like this. The game is absolutely not for everyone, and the fact that man babies with short attention spans and a complete inability to help themselves are so off put by the game within less than an hour is a great sign. Just read these reviews, they're probably children with sub 80 IQs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well that's also part of the reason free-weekends are great - new people get to try it out, and it is certainly not for the average gamer.

I put down a positive review to even it out though - hadn't thought about it before now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this game with a fiery passion, because it's unique and it's one of a kind ! (If you want to run & gun around like a bunch of monkeys screwing a football) Then i"d suggest you might as well just put 64 armed players inside of a locked phone booth and let em have at it   spawn die spawn die spawn die spawn die............ or play COD/BF

Edited by Devastation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peerun   

To be honest, some of those points are pretty valid, but you just can't appreciate the good things about Squad after 2 hours. You barely had enough time to notice them, much less master them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Psyrus   
18 minutes ago, Peerun said:

To be honest, some of those points are pretty valid, but you just can't appreciate the good things about Squad after 2 hours. You barely had enough time to notice them, much less master them.

 

I totally agree. The game is severely lacking in the initial "hand-holding" phase. 

 

It's really only on these free weekends that I can appreciate how much knowledge I take for granted. Walking a group of 8 Japanese people through the very basics took the better part of 30 minutes.

  • How to give up/spawn where you want
  • Difference between SL and other kits
  • Kit limitations
  • Different spawn point types, how they are made
    • Building stuff with a shovel, deshoveling
  • Flags versus caches
  • Vehicle claim system
  • Medical system

There are a few tips here-and-there in the game, but not enough to be competent online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40mmrain   
39 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

 

I totally agree. The game is severely lacking in the initial "hand-holding" phase. 

 

It's really only on these free weekends that I can appreciate how much knowledge I take for granted. Walking a group of 8 Japanese people through the very basics took the better part of 30 minutes.

  • How to give up/spawn where you want
  • Difference between SL and other kits
  • Kit limitations
  • Different spawn point types, how they are made
    • Building stuff with a shovel, deshoveling
  • Flags versus caches
  • Vehicle claim system
  • Medical system

There are a few tips here-and-there in the game, but not enough to be competent online. 

 

Yeah there's a lot to the game. If there weren't it would be a boring game. A tutorial would be nice, but, the old "join an infantry squad, and ask your squad leader where to spawn" is sufficient for any new player. They can simply ask about anything else, I know people will be happy to help them. "Whats that symbol on the map, how do I heal myself, where do I go, how do you get in a vehicle"

 

from there you learn the game. The absolutely basics of stay with your squad, listen to what your SL says, and shoot the enemy is something anyone with a few brain cells and a bit of experience playing any other casual FPS can manage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Psyrus   
20 minutes ago, 40mmrain said:

Yeah there's a lot to the game. If there weren't it would be a boring game. A tutorial would be nice, but, the old "join an infantry squad, and ask your squad leader where to spawn" is sufficient for any new player. They can simply ask about anything else, I know people will be happy to help them. "Whats that symbol on the map, how do I heal myself, where do I go, how do you get in a vehicle"

 

from there you learn the game. The absolutely basics of stay with your squad, listen to what your SL says, and shoot the enemy is something anyone with a few brain cells and a bit of experience playing any other casual FPS can manage.

 

That system breaks down or is meaningless if the number of new players to squad-leading-regulars exceeds 8:1. It further breaks down if we acknowledge that newer players also have the ability to create squads, and regular players tend to cluster together (in clans, with friends etc). When the stream of new players is at its regular pace of maybe +100-1000 per week, then sure the system of "rely on other players" can work, but it's not the ideal. 

 

I assume you've heard the expression "the blind leading the blind". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rulie   
2 hours ago, lawnboy said:

Well he isn't wrong about no swimming being bullshit.

 

yeah man, not pointing my post in your direction, i assume you refer to Smoked Bastards (a silly user name anyway) comment

-  - soldiers cannot swim just holded with gravity under water.

 

lols, I'll have to try that next time, get dressed in my WW3 fatigues, steel capped blundstone first responder volunteer bush fire brigade boots, preppers bug out backpack, 100 rounds of ammo, my trusty ol' 303, a kick ass machete and a boonie, ...then jump into the nearest river i can find a see if i float?  ....fcuk my old left gum boot!!

 

The rest of those reviewers comments don't even warrant a response, this was the best he could come up with after trying the game for free?

 

Starship Troopers - Jean Rasczak "No. Something given has no value."

 

 

Maybe i am at fault here to a certain degree, wasn't around for the noob weekend, i have to work. My weekend is Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by rulie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peerun   

I remember watching a video, where the guys had the same amount of gear as an in-game Russian AR, i.e. huge backpack + pouches, and they floated just fine. Ofcourse the gear would've been water sealed so I suppose the backpack contained a lot of air, but isn't that a given?
I definitely think swimming should be a thing, in Squad, if it ever becomes possible(A10+ ?), don't think I need to explain, why it'd be better than the Al Basrah drowing mechanic.
Ofcourse, swimming is probably not the right word, more like being carried away by the current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Psyrus   
44 minutes ago, Sgt. Veld said:

I am so glad the free weekend is over, had the worst rounds ever.

 

Do you usually play with clan members or anything like that? I had some great games over the weekend with about 70% of the players in my squad being new players. They, in general, listened to orders, and only once did I have to kick someone from the squad (in about 10 hours of playtime) because they wouldn't listen. I had to give friendly reminders that "we are on defense and you are wandering off towards the attack flag", after which they would return, but honestly I have the same experience every week when there aren't free weekends either, so it's nothing to do with the FW imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rybec   

Wew at that guy that said there's no incentive to play because there's nothing to unlock. Holy shit that system is ruined how people see games.

At least that other guy saw the talent from Anders in his rant too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40mmrain   
18 hours ago, Psyrus said:

 

Do you usually play with clan members or anything like that? I had some great games over the weekend with about 70% of the players in my squad being new players. They, in general, listened to orders, and only once did I have to kick someone from the squad (in about 10 hours of playtime) because they wouldn't listen. I had to give friendly reminders that "we are on defense and you are wandering off towards the attack flag", after which they would return, but honestly I have the same experience every week when there aren't free weekends either, so it's nothing to do with the FW imo. 

 

Yeah I found the same thing to be true. I was playing all weekend with 2-3 friends who are veterans of PR. The rest of our squad would be all noobs, and because I had a couple other guys in my squad who I could rely on and would follow my lead, the new guys would follow as well. Having 8 new guys in a squad is difficult, because if you have a really important job for a squad member, like using AT to destroy a vehicle, driving a vehicle, falling back with you as a two man unit to drop a rally, or being a swift and competent medic, you can't really count on anyone. If you have at least 1 guy in your squad who you know will listen and is reliable, and everyone else is new, you can manage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skul   
On 07/04/2017 at 1:06 PM, koschilein said:

Don´t worry about it, these reviews do not count to the percentage rating anymore, only if they bought the game.

Only reviews from people who played game for 100+ hours should count.

With current system(AFAIK), any kid who bought the game(without playing it) can go and write anything in his 'review'.

When you leave a review for a game(as complex as Squad) after playing it for ~10 hours, it's like making a review for a movie after watching first 30 seconds of that movie.

 

I personally never even looked at steam ratings(they're completely retarded). I always used rating web sites which use multiple ratings from other gaming websites to rate games on their web sites... This way you can determine good games from bad games a little better.

 

I don't really know why TS cares about ratings on Steam if he already bought this game.

 

What I hate about free weekends(free weekends is a good thing) is that they allow those free-weekenders to play on the same servers with try-harding nerds with 1000+ hours in this game. Quality of the games is very low because people who actually play this game tend to all go to the same team and stomp these free-weekenders. For veterans it's boring and for free-weekenders it's frustrating.

Edited by Skul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Psyrus   

I don't understand what everyone is so defensive about? The negative reviews will be seen/read by potential buyers. When the buyer values the same things (kill streaks, not following a strict command structure etc) then they will agree with the negative reviews and not purchase the game. That is one less person you have to worry about coming in game and having a tantrum because they can't get a marksman kit and then going on a TK spree. 

 

People who are looking for a tactical/teamplay based FPS shooter will see the negative reviews talking about those superficial points and can think to themselves, "Oh, that is the kind of game I've been looking for". 

 

Squad still has a very high overall rating, and rather than complaining about complainers, if you haven't already, write a positive review about squad and why it is worth playing. I know that I did ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
banOkay   
54 minutes ago, Skul said:

Only reviews from people who played game for 100+ hours should count.

With current system(AFAIK), any kid who bought the game(without playing it) can go and write anything in his 'review'.

When you leave a review for a game(as complex as Squad) after playing it for ~10 hours, it's like making a review for a movie after watching first 30 seconds of that movie.

 

Why would you ever waste 100h playing a game you clearly don't like from the start?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×