RaTzo

Alpha 9.2 is a milestone for Squad in a couple of ways

28 posts in this topic

Disclosure: I'm a Squad fanboy. I clashed with the Devs early in development because I hadn't yet learned to trust they would stay on course. OWI has proven to be a unique development team and so I have a unique view of them. I now give them the benefit of the doubt on everything. 

The popup info panels, and something about the way player names now come into view just looked polished to me. I can imagine new players this weekend finding these to feel like a finished product. 

Lastnight I played Squad on @ChanceBrahh's map and suddenly everything I knew Squad could be just was.

We were a fairly well organized squad with some great players. On any other map we would have been unstoppable, and we had been up until this map. On Al Basrah we were being defeated constantly.  I was a Medic, which is a role I'm very familiar with and generally excel at. When playing medic you simply have to trust the rest of your squad to keep you safe while you get other people up. Smoke, and clearing the area yourself only goes so far. 

Well our squad of very good players was scattered and overwhelmed by the long sight paths and vertical positions. We stopped moving like a squad and started moving like a pack of individuals. The squad leader who is a good SL started changing priorities constantly. We were overwhelmed and we were not taking control. The other team didn't have better players (well better than me, but not better than the rest of my squad) they used tactics and beat us in our heads. It was astounding as it was happening. I hated it but I was also delighted at the same time. I did eventually rage quit because it was getting ridiculous and it was nearly 11:30pm my time. My wife was sleeping 10 feet away and so my urge to yell explicatives was not going to serve me well. 

On Al Basrah the old saying "Slow is clean, and clean is fast" needs to ring in the minds of every player and most importantly in the head of every SL. Conceal, cover, move. Distract & flank. 

This is not Battlefield and Al Basrah proves it. 

I hated every minute of it, but I love it. Excellent job everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prepare to get a tactical brain**** by Falluja West :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im looking forward to trying out al basrah as well! it looks very intimidating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Bashra is a Bi**h! I love it, it makes Squad different again. Every Update a fine pice of work!

 

But: I think there will be soon some changes in wich order those flags have to be taken. Yet, it seems like the INS is prefered... :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had one of my best SQUAD experiences on AL BASRAH yesterday!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

had one of my best SQUAD experiences on AL BASRAH yesterday!

 


Got wrecked on it again yesterday. Had times of epic advances and times of utter defeat. I haven't been able to play it with a truly organized and tight squad yet. I've played it with great players but not as a tight unit. Every time I get on that map I just see everyone scatter and get eaten alive. 

Once we stop playing BF on this map we're going to have some intense gameplay on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game is my favorite now. That new map al balsarah is everythjnt I hoped squad would be. I love you devs all of you. Yes I want hit reactions but  tHis game is a new breed of awesome now. More city maps like al basara!! Can't wait for falujah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling it a milestone seems like a bit of an exaggeration honestly.. I mean it's great, the new map has really shaken up how people have to approach squad tactics(in a good way). but to go as far as calling it a milestone? The overall game hasn't changed/improved all that much over the 0.9 release to call it that. Guess I just don't agree.

 

The addition of the new animation system(weapons resting is gonna be crucial in Al Basrah) will be something i'd consider a milestone, as would the addition of air vehicles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chompster said:

Calling it a milestone seems like a bit of an exaggeration honestly.. I mean it's great, the new map has really shaken up how people have to approach squad tactics(in a good way). but to go as far as calling it a milestone? The overall game hasn't changed/improved all that much over the 0.9 release to call it that. Guess I just don't agree.

 

The addition of the new animation system(weapons resting is gonna be crucial in Al Basrah) will be something i'd consider a milestone, as would the addition of air vehicles. 


I agree on this. Things like: weapon resting, working bipods, new animations and weapon collisions, new vehicle and armor types with their armor weak and strong points to shoot at (penetration values), further FOB mechanic tweaks, rally point "nerfing" etc. would be a milestone in my eyes.

That being said Al Basrah is one of the best, good looking and realistic maps like Kohat, Yehorivka and now with V9 Gorodok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the wonderful part  Al Basrah is deceptive  it looks simple but has so much to give. The initial phase faxours US with long range, then mid range on the outskirts. Finishing with CQB. How squad adapt really show the quality of the players.

 

It feels chilled to start, the eager going to frantic then manic,  at that point it's tea time and time to regroup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albasrah is amazing best map so far imo , it actually makes you feel like your in a real battle... it keeps your balls sweaty for the whole match. always intense battles go down in Albasrah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the new v9 maps pushes Squad to it limits when it comes to the tactical experience that current game mechanics can provide. I had fun yesterday playing on Al Bashrah, although the public games feel too long, especially when its clear who is going to win and there is no chance of a comeback.

Im hoping the devs will focus more on new game modes (territory control, or an improved conquest mode which forces a team to stay dynamic and seize map control). Also, improved FOB mechanics, rallypoint mechanics and all that good stuff. Lets try having squads incentivised to spawn in waves, instead of worming out a rallypoint every 15 seconds! Helicopters can wait (although Im guessing the devs wanna get out all the crucial content before starting to work on "balancing" and perfecting the game mechanics).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be happy when the scoreboard isn't crazy over-sized at the end of round and  .. basically when V10 hits with  vaulting and free look xD

This update was pretty sweet though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buddy thats called a good old City fight.

And maybe you got to fight against evenly good players like yourself.

I love the map i think its amazing needing to watch everything and eventually you get shot from somewhere.I played it a lot with USA and Insurgents i wont and lost them with both it depends a lot how good your whole team is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RaTzo said:


Got wrecked on it again yesterday. Had times of epic advances and times of utter defeat. I haven't been able to play it with a truly organized and tight squad yet. I've played it with great players but not as a tight unit. Every time I get on that map I just see everyone scatter and get eaten alive. 

Once we stop playing BF on this map we're going to have some intense gameplay on it. 

People will realize in due time how utterly useless it is to lone wolf on that map especially. With all of the firing positions and cover the enemy could be using you need tactics and teammates to overcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RatZo, I played with you on the new map when you were a medic. Idk if you remember this but our squad was pushing up a street (towards refinery I believe?) and we were taking heavy fire from the insurgents. 2 of our men went down across the street and you went to pick them up when an insurgent popped up out of nowhere above and gunned you down. I apologize about that I was trying to cover you and that guy appeared literally out of nowhere lol. The new map is awesome though, such a rush of adrenaline. I had a ton of fun.

 

I've learned to be thorough with clearing buildings now with the multi-level structures on this map. There are so many rooms that it's easy to think a floor is clear and then get shot in the back haha.

 

*My personal opinion* I love the urban warfare more than anything else. Can't wait to see what other Urban maps they come out with. A suburbs area would be really cool or even a shopping district/ airport or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ryukenshin8 said:

RatZo, I played with you on the new map when you were a medic.

I remember. :) We did OK on that round. I'm getting better with keeping my own butt alive on that map but sometimes I still rush in where angels fear to tread. :D

This version is a milestone because many things have come together to produce gameplay that IS Squad no matter what kind of player you try to be. As some have pointed out above while lonewolfing was shunned before and unhelpful as the game is coming together it is simply becoming impossible. Squads that use all their players together will dominate on maps like this, and as the game mechanics mature on all the maps, and squads that rely on twitch reflexes instead of tactics will get burned to the ground. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I agree, honestly lone-wolfing it really doesn't do much to aid in winning. Someone may rack up a few kills but it doesn't do much else *imo*. So much gets accomplished when staying together and fighting together. Whether it be defending or trying to capture an objective. Also, it saves your medic from having to run half way across the map to a weird location to pick you up in enemy territory (I'm guilty of this when trying to flank the enemy haha). There are just too many angles to clear by yourself before you can safely move around the map (streets, multi-level windows, alley-ways, objects, etc.). You're just bound to attract attention by an enemy group and get neutralized before you can do anything.

 

 

On a side note..One thing I have to get used to is making sure my gun clears the window frame when peeking down onto a street. There were quite a few times I was trying to pick someone off and shot the wall lol.

 

I definitely look forward to playing consistently with a group of guys and getting a groove going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, ryukenshin8 said:

 

On a side note..One thing I have to get used to is making sure my gun clears the window frame when peeking down onto a street. There were quite a few times I was trying to pick someone off and shot the wall lol.

 

I definitely look forward to playing consistently with a group of guys and getting a groove going!


Jump in SexyJeep's squad. If I'm online that's where I'll be. We play on TG's server almost exclusively; good pings and good players. I have dropped my graphics settings down so that I'm always getting over 60FPS now. It has made it SO MUCH easier to get kills so I'm branching out beyond just playing medic a bit more. I've got a GTX1070 coming later this week so I'll be able to have the pretty stuff and the frames.

I think OWI needs to put some feedback in the game for when your gun barrel is stuck into something instead of over it. This is a game introduced frustration that doesn't exist in real life. The mechanic needs to be in the game so that we don't have people glitching but it should be obvious to the shooter that their weapon is not pointing over the obstacle. 

Edited by RaTzo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can remember when "Prone" was 1st implemented...We were like all "Squealing like little girls" This was one of those moments.

 

That's was one small step for Squaddies But V10 One giant leap for Squad....(missioncontrol we've liftoff).:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah man, flew up to Vancouver to do some work at our physical studio, which included a lot more conversation about animation and animation filming for the new system.

 

The stuff I have seen from our animators here at the studio, boy, wish I could show all of it, but that would spoil the surprise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RaTzo said:


Jump in SexyJeep's squad. If I'm online that's where I'll be. We play on TG's server almost exclusively; good pings and good players. I have dropped my graphics settings down so that I'm always getting over 60FPS now. It has made it SO MUCH easier to get kills so I'm branching out beyond just playing medic a bit more. I've got a GTX1070 coming later this week so I'll be able to have the pretty stuff and the frames.

I think OWI needs to put some feedback in the game for when your gun barrel is stuck into something instead of over it. This is a game introduced frustration that doesn't exist in real life. The mechanic needs to be in the game so that we don't have people glitching but it should be obvious to the shooter that their weapon is not pointing over the obstacle. 

Sounds good! Yeah I usually play on TG's server as well, just seems like everyone knows what they're supposed to be doing most of the time lol. Your Tag on steam is "RaTzo"? I'll add you tonight when I get on.

 

Yeah, there have been many times that I'm on the 4th or 5th floor of a building shooting down onto a side alley or street at an enemy and after firing a few rounds I back up and see bullet holes in the window frame while the enemy runs away lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

Ah man, flew up to Vancouver to do some work at our physical studio, which included a lot more conversation about animation and animation filming for the new system.

 

The stuff I have seen from our animators here at the studio, boy, wish I could show all of it, but that would spoil the surprise!

 

Will the animation overhaul affect current weapon mechanics besides the "expected" bipods, resting etc.?

Edited by banOkay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

Ah man, flew up to Vancouver to do some work at our physical studio, which included a lot more conversation about animation and animation filming for the new system.

 

The stuff I have seen from our animators here at the studio, boy, wish I could show all of it, but that would spoil the surprise!

 

c'mon stop teasing, even if it's a common practice nowadays, just be nice and give some real info dude! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

Ah man, flew up to Vancouver to do some work at our physical studio, which included a lot more conversation about animation and animation filming for the new system.

 

The stuff I have seen from our animators here at the studio, boy, wish I could show all of it, but that would spoil the surprise!

 

C'mon man... give us a preview...

Image result for blue balls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now