32 posts in this topic

N2hy1r4.jpg

Breaking cover: I've been pottering with this for a little while, and fully aim to get this complete and released when possible. It should have a different feel to what's in Squad to date, and will present some tactical quandaries. Vehicles will be a must, and, at 4km, it should support armour and possibly helicopters at such a time as they are included. It's broadly influenced by an area of northern Europe.

About:

Dolina is a combined arms map that provides an array of strategically valuable points to contest in a large, open and varied environment. From rolling hills of farmland and forestry to lush plains and wet marshland, this is a sparsely populated rural area, defined by the confluence of two rivers that cut a swathe through the terrain. There will be both AAS and INS versions.

Status: Still very much WIP; 4km is a BIG thing to map. The basics are in place in terms of landscape and layout. Some areas are essentially complete, others need a serious second pass, and other still are not started beyond basic placeholders. It also needs lighting to be redone, game layers set up, various custom assets etc. to come.

qOlgfDb.jpg

Sure looks good and yes 4 km is loads of space to fill. Imagine I found 2 km already a problem. :-)

10 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

I didn't know those urban assets were in the game. Are they new?

They are on Gorodok near the industrial area 

22 hours ago, Zeno965 said:

They are on Gorodok near the industrial area 

I wish they wouldn't make the cool areas with the new assets the last flags to be capped. No wonder I didn't notice them.

I like the dumpsters and trash bags :)

We need more assets like that on other maps, the detritus of normal life.

Squadiful work. Love the bridge going through the marsh.

An overdue update:

Starting with a little bucolic goodness...

Jx6z1yM.jpg

Take a sedate drive towards the town.

1AKoe54.jpg

Venture through the outskirts...

hifoDJd.jpg

But you'll need somewhere to park.

nK2htFV.jpg

Take picturesque walks along the deserted pavements...

r2q8Uhe.jpg

And visit the industrial back streets...

RcUd4sz.jpg

But don't forget to stop for a little rest and relaxation before you leave.

0CM6Fbt.jpg

Regrettably, I'm probably going to stop working on Dolina. I'm not 100%, but...

First, I have been asked to get involved with another project, which is cool for me, but it means that my already-limited time constraints are probably simply too much to do this and complete Dolina as well, which, while I had intended to release it, was turning out to be a huge investment. I've got a lot to learn, but ultimately, while I am happy to see mapping as a hobby / labour of love, I find it hard to justify the time unless the map will get played. I'm not confident this will happen.

Second, I just felt that it was maybe not going to be the quality I'd hoped for throughout, at least not without the ability to devote a LOT of time to it. Parts of it I felt quite proud of, but there is a huge, huge amount still to do. I had faith in my concept, but 4x4km in a Euro setting was probably too much to bite off for me at this point; I've never used UE4, or2 or 3, for that matter...

If you've been doing some assets etc. for me, then I apologise: obviously, feel free to release these to the community - or please talk to me first about possibility using them elsewhere, because my interest in them stands.

I know what you mean,but I think you should finish it. It would ve nice if there would be some info on the future plans of custom made maps and the how they will get playtime. For a first map 4x4 is a huge space to fill. Probably the main reason I picked 2x2.

You should bring it back to a 2 by 2 km and finish it and than put it on the shelf until they can be played. Thats the moment where the community is needed. Once custom made maps are in the game I hope the community supports them. As people spend valuable time to provide you with free content.

What project did you joined?

Edited by Drecks