RipGroove

Bottlenecked by 'Rendering Thread'?

118 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Fools Road V2 - EMPTY SERVER (Apart from me obvs)

Capture_1.png

"If Frame time is very close to the Game time, you are bottlenecked by the game thread.
If Frame time is very close to Draw time, you are bottlenecked by the rendering thread.
If neither time is close while GPU time is close, then you are bottlenecked by the video card."

Source: https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/how-to-improve-game-thread-cpu-performance

So, what can I do about it, is this a game optimization thing or something I can do my end? I have the same piss poor FPS on nearly all maps since V9.0 so figured my GPU was bottlenecking as the new update brought more vehicles and map detail, but maybe it's not all down to my GPU?

For reference:

RES: 3440x1440

CASE - Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
OS - Win 10 Home
Mobo - ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 1
CPU - Intel i7-7700k @ 5.0GHz
CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X62
RAM - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz
GPU - EVGA 980ti FTW
SSD - M.2 Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
PSU - Corsair RM850i

FANS - 6x Corsair ML140

Edited by RipGroove

In all honesty your build should not be having issues with this game, it's an optimization issue I guess.

In all honesty your build should not be having issues with this game, it's an optimization issue I guess.

No it shouldn't be you're right, but it is for some reason. I'm just trying to find some actual evidence of what exactly is giving me poor performance. That way I can do everything I can my end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, RipGroove said:

No it shouldn't be you're right, but it is for some reason. I'm just trying to find some actual evidence of what exactly is giving me poor performance. That way I can do everything I can my end.

All you'll get here is 

"Overclock your CPU"

"Overclock your RAM"

"Upgrade parts!"

Go to the discord and ask in the support channel, it's the best bet to get an answer from someone who actually knows what they're talking about

All you'll get here is 

"Overclock your CPU"

"Overclock your RAM"

"Upgrade parts!"

Go to the discord and ask in the support channel, it's the best bet to get an answer from someone who actually knows what they're talking about

Haha well I've OC'd my CPU to 5.0GHz! My RAM is actually running at 3000MHz (not the default 2133MHz) and there aren't many more parts I could upgrade within reason (GPU will be a 1080ti very soon).

I'm on my phone right now so can't access Discord.

Just now, RipGroove said:

Haha well I've OC'd my CPU to 5.0GHz! My RAM is actually running at 3000MHz (not the default 2133MHz) and there aren't many more parts I could upgrade within reason (GPU will be a 1080ti very soon).

I'm on my phone right now so can't access Discord.

I noticed you did lol. All I can suggest is update all your drivers and clear your ingame cache

I noticed you did lol. All I can suggest is update all your drivers and clear your ingame cache

Yeah done that right after V9.0, in fact even uninstalled the game, deleted AppData, ran a driver sweeper and updated to the latest drivers all round, including BIOS!

5 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

Yeah done that right after V9.0, in fact even uninstalled the game, deleted AppData, ran a driver sweeper and updated to the latest drivers all round, including BIOS!

Well I wish you luck on fixing the issue, I've given up on playing since I can't get more that 50fps with my build.

i5-6600

16GB of RAM at 2133hz

GTX 1070 8GB

Win 10 Home Edition

Well I wish you luck on fixing the issue, I've given up on playing since I can't get more that 50fps with my build.

i5-6600

16GB of RAM at 2133hz

GTX 1070 8GB

Win 10 Home Edition

Thanks, it's a real shame some of us are having these issues.

If everyone was in the same boat I'd give up for a while, accept it's Early Access and al that and just wait for the next update but I've been in servers recently with 30-40fps and the guy next to me has 100fps, so the game itself can't be 100% at fault IMO.

Yeah, I don't know what it is, people with weaker builds are getting higher FPS. 

RipGroove,

Have you disabled Xbox App in windows 10? That was a big deal for many.

Another thing to try is the Intel thermal setting, sorry I cant recall it's full name but it is in BIO's, a number of guys with 6700K's had issues with this severely limiting their system once disabled it solved their FPS issues.

Sorry not very scientific help but hope it get's it sorted for you!

^This also...Look it up on YouTube or google,there's loads of information how to make Win10 performe better for gamers.

Mostly by switching off all the hidden crap Apps & little spy software in the background...

I mean c'mon man, even AMDuser's are getting more FPS than you...xD

RipGroove,

Have you disabled Xbox App in windows 10? That was a big deal for many.

Another thing to try is the Intel thermal setting, sorry I cant recall it's full name but it is in BIO's, a number of guys with 6700K's had issues with this severely limiting their system once disabled it solved their FPS issues.

Sorry not very scientific help but hope it get's it sorted for you!

I'll have a look, thanks.

I mean c'mon man, even AMDuser's are getting more FPS than you...

lol I know! This is not good :-(

I just disabled "Intel Thermal Monitor' in my BIOS and removed the following from Win10:

Xboxapp

Officehub

Solitaircollection

Bingfinance

Bingnews

Bingsports

Bingweather

And it's not made any difference, worth a shot though.

Fools Road V2 - EMPTY SERVER

2.png

The only thing that helps get my FPS to around 60 is turning in game graphics settings to Low so I guess until EVGA release a 1080ti hybrid that's what I'll have to do for now. And hope that maybe the next game update will play better with my system.

The only other thing I can think of is in game texture streaming setting (I think its called that) to on, i.e if it is off it uses a tonne of VRAM. (try on and off and note the VRAM use change).

You might be maxing out available VRAM in 4K on the 980ti?

I would say do a complete new Windows + driver installation + game installation. This will most likely fix it.

(I work in the hard/software support business and believe me that this helps a lot more often then one would think)

I would say do a complete new Windows + driver installation + game installation. This will most likely fix it.

(I work in the hard/software support business and believe me that this helps a lot more often then one would think)

This is a 2 week old build, all brand new parts (apart from GPU), and all latest drivers.

3 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

This is a 2 week old build, all brand new parts (apart from GPU), and all latest drivers.

I would maybe test some more games and see if they behave the same. People do destroy their Windows installation after 1 hour and less :P

I would maybe test some more games and see if they behave the same. People do destroy their Windows installation after 1 hour and less

Haha yeah I bet. Yeah I'll install some other games and see what happens.

What are your fps @ Firing range ? How is GPU clock? How Utilization and Vram fill state ? you could be GPU bound in 3440 x 1440 allready with a 980Ti.

What are your fps @ Firing range ? How is GPU clock? How Utilization and Vram fill state ? you could be GPU bound in 3440 x 1440 allready with a 980Ti.

I'll have to reinstall Afterburner before I can answer that. FYI though this exact GPU played 3440x1440 all Epic at 70-80fps average an ALL maps in my last build with only a 4790k @ 4.7GHz

Worth checking it maybe 9.0 got more GPU heavy, also live overlay will show you what comonent is fully utilized at the moment you get these frames --> giving you a hint what the bottelneck is .

Oh and i read somewhere that some folks hat problems with Fullscreen in v 9.0 so maybee try out boraderless e.g. stuff

Good luck in solving this, keep us updated .

It could be VRAM, the 980ti has 'only' 6GB available.

With the texture streaming high (I cant recall if that means on or of right now) I was absolutely using 7GB VRAM at 1440p with resolution scale set at 1.5 on one of the maps.

I have a 1070 so 8GB VRAM available but felt turning that setting to lower the VRAM use was better, around 3.5GB VRAM was used then.

I only ever play borderless.

It could be VRAM, the 980ti has 'only' 6GB available.

With the texture streaming high (I cant recall if that means on or of right now) I was absolutely using 7GB VRAM at 1440p with resolution scale set at 1.5 on one of the maps.

I have a 1070 so 8GB VRAM available but felt turning that setting to lower the VRAM use was better, around 3.5GB VRAM was used then.

I only ever play borderless.

I've already asked this somewhere else as my VRAM usage is like 5.9GB, this was the response I got:

"the more GPU VRAM you have the more it caches this does not necessarily mean that it needs that much it just sees more and caches extra, if you had 12gb it would use close to 12gb this is what typically happens"

Also it makes zero difference to my FPS if texture streaming is on or off in game.