Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greekish

cant open c++ files

Posted (edited)

Hellu. Im trying to build a mod in squad, and need to access the C++ files. I go into the c++ category, click a c++ file. It starts saying "loading visual studio". Visual studio then opens up and it sais "ready" down at the bottom corner, but nothing comes up. The visual studio just sais "ready" and no files that I clicked on opens. And in UE4 it still sais "loading visual studio". 

There is no green bar either in visual studio, so im excluding the possibility that maybe it just takes a long time to open the files. 

Do I have the wrong version or something? Or is it not possible to edit the C++ files? (I have visual studio 2015). 

Im aiming to change some health mechanics, i want to change how much damage certain projectiles do, and i'd like to edit the "bleeding" functionalita as well as some other things! =) 

Edited by greekish

As a part of the SDK you do not have access to any C++ code. 

17 minutes ago, Odin said:

As a part of the SDK you do not have access to any C++ code. 

okay. is migrating not possible either, or does it have limitations? i tried migrating my own UE4 project into SDK but it didnt work. i get the folders and i get some of the blueprints, but not all of them.

As part of integrating a mod into our SDK we will not allow C++ modules. This is just asking for trouble when you have anyone integrating compiled C++ code onto people's machines. 

44 minutes ago, Odin said:

As part of integrating a mod into our SDK we will not allow C++ modules. This is just asking for trouble when you have anyone integrating compiled C++ code onto people's machines. 

sorry, i didnt mean c++ files in my second question. when i tried to migrate files to SDK, it was only blueprints and animations, no C++. it only worked to migrate the folders and some of the blueprints, but not all of them for some reason. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Odin said:

,...and what im basically trying to do is a FPS shooter sort of like squad, but with entirely different health mechanics. for example, if soldierBP gets shot in the leg, i want to program/script/blueprint it so that he cant walk on that leg anymore. he has to stumble or hop on his other leg., etc etc.  

i've already built this mechanics in the FPS shooter template in unreal 4. i did it entirely in blueprints. so, i figured i could either migrate that project into SDK. or, re-build the entire project in SDK. 

but maybe SDK is only for cosmetic modding, like, maps and character and weapon skins? its not possible to change the "mechanics" of the game?

Edited by greekish

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, greekish said:

but maybe SDK is only for cosmetic modding, like, maps and character and weapon skins? its not possible to change the "mechanics" of the game?

Well the game is still in it's mid-alpha phase, so it's funny that there is a public SDK already to begin with, but once it is more fleshed out, using blueprint overrides it will be possible to change core functionality of the game (or so I've heard). 

If you're not trying to mod squad and want to build your FPS game including the C++ code, just do it the same way squad did. Start with Shooter Game

Edited by Psyrus

Posted (edited)

On 02/04/2017 at 9:37 AM, greekish said:

but maybe SDK is only for cosmetic modding, like, maps and character and weapon skins? its not possible to change the "mechanics" of the game

this ^ is worrying, and not the impression i got from the whole Launch of the SDK thing.

i want to make a MOD for Squad as well. i was hoping to dump the stamina system and replace it with an encumberance system. i was also hoping to make some other changes that i thought would require C++ stuffs, as i cannot seem to locate those things within the available BP's (or at least exposed options).

am i right in thinking C++ is where i need to head? because if so, and not being allowed to access the C++ stuff is going to kill my MOD ideas, right now.

if no access will be allowed to the C++ files, then the SDK is in essence just a glorified map editor.

Edited by LaughingJack
strikethough unwarranted comment :)

The SDK will not include direct code access guys. However, just because you don't know how to use BP does NOT make it a glorified map editor as you say. Blueprint is a very powerful tool and you can do quite a lot with it. You just have to learn how to use it properly. We are working on exposing more items from code into blueprint to give you greater power in editing and creating mods via BP, but you must be patient as its an ongoing effort.

1 hour ago, Odin said:

We are working on exposing more items from code into blueprint to give you greater power in editing and creating mods via BP, but you must be patient as its an ongoing effort.

Indeed. As I pointed out earlier, the game is not even in its beta stage, and so the programmers are still focused on building out the core functionality. Roy & Co. have been kind enough to expose some of the parts to blueprints already, but it's a process that is best left to the point where things are close to their final state (class, method wise). Otherwise you waste the programmers' time forcing them to use decorators and superfluous blueprint-exposure code when things may be thrown away down the line, which would also piss off modders because their blueprints would stop functioning completely.

@LaughingJack Have a read through this:

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Blueprints,_Creating_C%2B%2B_Functions_as_new_Blueprint_Nodes

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Blueprints,_Creating_Variables_in_C%2B%2B_For_Use_In_BP

22 hours ago, Odin said:

The SDK will not include direct code access guys. However, just because you don't know how to use BP does NOT make it a glorified map editor as you say. Blueprint is a very powerful tool and you can do quite a lot with it. You just have to learn how to use it properly. We are working on exposing more items from code into blueprint to give you greater power in editing and creating mods via BP, but you must be patient as its an ongoing effort.

sorry Odin, didn't mean to be narky about it, just a bit frustrated is all at some things that i'd like to modify being unaccessable. i can be patient, and will be, as i trust you guys will deliver in spades eventually :) keep up the good work fellas, it's highly appreciated!

22 hours ago, Odin said:

Blueprint is a very powerful tool and you can do quite a lot with it. You just have to learn how to use it properly

would that i had a job in the industry so it was second nature. but alas i have a business to run and not a lot of spare time outside work and chores to learn all this stuff - gunna take me a while :/

@Psyrus: hey mate. i looked at those but honestly it mostly went over my head as i have no experience with c++ except for cursory perusals - trying to decipher what things might do (and not in SquadSDK either/yet). i get that they are creating things to do stuff between c++ and BP but at this point i cannot edit c++ files anyway , even if i wanted to because i don't have VisualStudio (i have notepad++), so i cannot even tinker with non-Squad UE4c++ to educate myself.

21 hours ago, Psyrus said:

things may be thrown away down the line, which would also piss off modders because their blueprints would stop functioning

yeah 'course, should have thought of that before, my bad :)

2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

hey mate. i looked at those but honestly it mostly went over my head as i have no experience with c++ except for cursory perusals

Sorry, I should have made it clearer, the reason I was linking you to those things was to give you a very rough idea of the fact that it's not just "wave a wand and stuff is accessible to blueprints", and involves quite a bit of effort by the programmers. You don't need visual studio, although if you ever felt like using it, you can use the free community edition, but there is no point at all for squad modding. 

Posted (edited)

On 2017-04-20 at 2:45 AM, LaughingJack said:

this ^ is worrying, and not the impression i got from the whole Launch of the SDK thing.

i want to make a MOD for Squad as well. i was hoping to dump the stamina system and replace it with an encumberance system. i was also hoping to make some other changes that i thought would require C++ stuffs, as i cannot seem to locate those things within the available BP's (or at least exposed options).

am i right in thinking C++ is where i need to head? because if so, and not being allowed to access the C++ stuff is going to kill my MOD ideas, right now.

if no access will be allowed to the C++ files, then the SDK is in essence just a glorified map editor.

i wanted to make some mods to the stamina system too. maybe we have the same idea? i basically want to change the med-kit so that it can not re-generate health, it can only stop the health from ticking down (when theres bloodloss for example). and also change the hitboxes and animations. bulletwound to the leg disables the player from walking on that leg for the rest of the game, and if shot in both legs he cant walk at all anymore. I havent figured out what to do if the player gets shot in the arms... maybe it could disable his ability to aim down sights or something like that. 

Here is (video down below) what I ended up with in my own project in unreal (not in the SDK editor). It didnt work to migrate it into the SDK, and when I tried recreating the project in SDK it crashed on me. not sure if this is a SDK problem, or if its my blueprints that are a problem. or if its that im a complete noob who hasnt used unreal for that long haha. 

Edited by greekish

On 21/04/2017 at 0:07 PM, Psyrus said:

Sorry, I should have made it clearer, the reason I was linking you to those things was to give you a very rough idea of the fact that it's not just "wave a wand and stuff is accessible to blueprints", and involves quite a bit of effort by the programmers. You don't need visual studio, although if you ever felt like using it, you can use the free community edition, but there is no point at all for squad modding. 

ah, ok. tho i didn't expect any simple wand waving ;) , i get it.

actually installed the Community Edition but it stopped after the 30 day limit - which means 30 day limit to get stuff done, or re-install. i have Notepad++ that i've used for mucking about in Cryengine - just hoped that Epic could offer some non-limited options for this.

Only reason i thought i'd need to get into C++ files is for changing things that appear to be held inside C++ scripts (judging by the BP>Script tree i've drawn at home, detailing all the stuff being called by the "GameMode") - such as changing character movement stuff, removal/replacement of some systems such as stamina/tickets/building(fobs), etc..

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

actually installed the Community Edition but it stopped after the 30 day limit - which means 30 day limit to get stuff done, or re-install.

I think you may have installed the wrong version, I've been using the community edition for years without limits. 

If you have it installed, you should double check that you didn't get the wrong version

Mine:

77fbe79a6c1c4ee0b63fb6b7c964dc94.png

Edit: Ohhhh, you might have to sign in with a Microsoft account to activate it for the long term, and making a MS account is free :) 

2d2d7dd584fd4c90ade98ea08d7308a4.png

Edited by Psyrus

10 hours ago, greekish said:

i wanted to make some mods to the stamina system too. maybe we have the same idea? i basically want to change the med-kit so that it can not re-generate health, it can only stop the health from ticking down (when theres bloodloss for example). and also change the hitboxes and animations. bulletwound to the leg disables the player from walking on that leg for the rest of the game, and if shot in both legs he cant walk at all anymore. I havent figured out what to do if the player gets shot in the arms... maybe it could disable his ability to aim down sights or something like that. 

Here is (video down below) what I ended up with in my own project in unreal (not in the SDK editor). It didnt work to migrate it into the SDK, and when I tried recreating the project in SDK it crashed on me. not sure if this is a SDK problem, or if its my blueprints that are a problem. or if its that im a complete noob who hasnt used unreal for that long haha. 

I'm a n00b too! w00t!!  ;)

yeah, i want to remove the stamina and sprint functions/systems and replace them with an encumberance system. also want to remove the health regen. amongst other things.

1 minute ago, Psyrus said:

I think you may have installed the wrong version, I've been using the community edition for years without limits. 

If you have it installed, you should double check that you didn't get the wrong version

Mine:

77fbe79a6c1c4ee0b63fb6b7c964dc94.png

hmm. ok i'l have to check - maybe i only got a "trial" version. - just occured to me, i think i used the 2016 version

Cheers!

Hi folks,

After trying for the longest time, I've concluded the following:

1) The stock Squad SDK is unable to compile into a working game (missing lotsa files, and topping up from the 4.14.3 source wont help either).

2) Unable to add our own C++ code to the SDK (VS always complains, the OWI, RCON server etc plugins do not have source code). Ive tried to add OceanPlugin with no success...

Is this correct?

While I think highly of Squad and the work that has gone into it, I wonders the point of releasing the SDK in this form (which really, can't do much other than add Blueprints). Any plans to release a "more usable", SDK in the near future? ie: an SDK capable of supporting simple mods

Thanks and b.rgds,

Tim