SpecialAgentJohnson

Bullets hitting close occasionally cause minor damage

I think it would be realistic and good for immersion if when a bullet hits very close to you (or maybe your head) then like 1 out of 10 times you accumulate a minor say 5% injury. This would simulate like splinters of dirt or wood coming of the ground or a wall because of the bullet impact and entering your skin somewhere. For 50 cals I think the effect could be increased somewhat both vicinity wise and health wise. Right now I think it is somewhat unrealistic to be completely unharmed by a 50 cal impacting 3" from your face. I wouldn't want to stand there in real life no matter what people say.

That would just undermine any reason for a player to legitimately use suppression as a viable option. Now that I've mentioned suppression I'm going to say to anyone that thinks about replying and arguing whether it's useful or not in Squad: don't bother, there's threads for that.

Anyway, it would give players more reason to shoot accurately and not bother putting rounds down range which is an extremely important thing in firefights and not enough people utilise it. As far as the real life effects of such a thing, that's more of a long term issue if it's not dealt with.. similar with scratches or minor cuts while moving through rough areas. I definitely think that it shouldn't attribute to any damage on the player, it's pretty irrelevant.. would require a lot of variables (for weapons, calibres, distance from impact, surface that it impacted on etc) for something really insignificant that could push gameplay towards the wrong direction.

Now, you might say it would sway people to put rounds down range because you can potentially do more damage.. but from the current game and the general attitude of players who don't even use the support weapons like the RPK/SAW efficiently with suppression effects it definitely looks like they would just use those weapons to not bother supporting the squad, and focus on killing/hitting everything they possibly can like a marksman.

You wouldn't want to stand near it, but you wouldn't die or take significant damage from it in the short term.

1 hour ago, Assifuah said:

That would just undermine any reason for a player to legitimately use suppression as a viable option. Now that I've mentioned suppression I'm going to say to anyone that thinks about replying and arguing whether it's useful or not in Squad: don't bother, there's threads for that.

Anyway, it would give players more reason to shoot accurately and not bother putting rounds down range which is an extremely important thing in firefights and not enough people utilise it. As far as the real life effects of such a thing, that's more of a long term issue if it's not dealt with.. similar with scratches or minor cuts while moving through rough areas. I definitely think that it shouldn't attribute to any damage on the player, it's pretty irrelevant.. would require a lot of variables (for weapons, calibres, distance from impact, surface that it impacted on etc) for something really insignificant that could push gameplay towards the wrong direction.

Now, you might say it would sway people to put rounds down range because you can potentially do more damage.. but from the current game and the general attitude of players who don't even use the support weapons like the RPK/SAW efficiently with suppression effects it definitely looks like they would just use those weapons to not bother supporting the squad, and focus on killing/hitting everything they possibly can like a marksman.

You wouldn't want to stand near it, but you wouldn't die or take significant damage from it in the short term.

Honestly I don't really follow what you are saying. Good or bad / Why or why not?

16 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Honestly I don't really follow what you are saying. Good or bad / Why or why not?

What I just said explicitly tells you why it's bad and would have a negative effect on gameplay, and the reasoning behind my thoughts on it from both "real life" and game perspectives.

Bad. Lots of calculations/variables for something that isn't significant or doesn't provide much to deepen gameplay.

10 hours ago, Assifuah said:

What I just said explicitly tells you why it's bad and would have a negative effect on gameplay, and the reasoning behind my thoughts on it from both "real life" and game perspectives.

Bad. Lots of calculations/variables for something that isn't significant or doesn't provide much to deepen gameplay.

I think on the contrary that it is very easy to calculate. Basically you need the distance vector (which is already calculated somewhere to determine sound level of inpact) then make a randomizer to randomize 1/10 to hurt you (maybe even less than) 5%. Piece of cake no processor extra load at all really! Distance need to very small like a few " max. If you think it's still too heavy on the CPU (which it isn't) then you could avoid caliber data. It mostly the effect I think is most important anyway. Distance I wouldn't even bother with. It is overkill, though with all the penetration calculations going on now you most likely will have that data for free anyway.

I think this would be good for suppression. Would give people that little extra motivation to not put your head up in the middle of a bullet rain right on target. Why would it give people more reason to shoot accurately? It's the opposite, right? You don't even have to hit 100% to really annoy the opponent! You are not making sense.

You wouldn't die from it yes, but you wouldn't die from one or two % injury either. Just a scratch as they say in real life. Still a scratch.

I dislike random chance of any negative action in any skill based game. It's frustrating and unnecessary. If I am taking cover I don't want to take damage from a random chance because a bullet landed nearby thanks.

I am also against random gun jamming but that's another discussion and been done many times before but serves as an example of another random negative action that shouldn't have a place in skill games unless there is a counter.

3 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

I dislike random chance of any negative action in any skill based game. It's frustrating and unnecessary. If I am taking cover I don't want to take damage from a random chance because a bullet landed nearby thanks.

I am also against random gun jamming but that's another discussion and been done many times before but serves as an example of another random negative action that shouldn't have a place in skill games unless there is a counter.

It is not very random actually. You are too close to the wrong place at the wrong time. But still, then I take it, you are obviously against bringing in mortars into the game because nothing will seem more random than taking a mortar shell with splinters flying everywhere on your head. Success in Squad shouldn't rely on individual skill alone but strategy and teamwork even more so. You win as a team not as an individual.

31 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

It is not very random actually. You are too close to the wrong place at the wrong time. But still, then I take it, you are obviously against bringing in mortars into the game because nothing will seem more random than taking a mortar shell with splinters flying everywhere on your head. Success in Squad shouldn't rely on individual skill alone but strategy and teamwork even more so. You win as a team not as an individual.

Don't assume anything. It makes an ass of u & me. You're in fact wrong about mortars. I want them in. The sooner the better. They require a learnt skill to use and team coordination to operate effectively. No random chance there.

Why you have to change the discussion and move it to be about teamwork when we were discussing the pros/cons of random splash damage from bullets I can't really fathom.

3 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Don't assume anything. It makes an ass of u & me. You're in fact wrong about mortars. I want them in. The sooner the better. They require a learnt skill to use and team coordination to operate effectively. No random chance there.

Why you have to change the discussion and move it to be about teamwork when we were discussing the pros/cons of random splash damage from bullets I can't really fathom.

Yes skill to operate yes, but no skill avoiding getting them in the head. Sorry for unintentional ass-iness.

Just now, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Yes skill to operate yes, but no skill avoiding getting them in the head. Sorry for unintentional ass-iness.

There is skill in avoiding incoming mortar rounds. If you weren't moving around the battlefield with cover in mind then perhaps you'll learn that skill after a few times on leaving yourself so exposed. I am not aiming that comment at you specifically, more of a general unskilled player you. If, when the mortar rounds start coming in, you were unlucky enough to be taken out first even when moving in cover then that's just the nature of warfare and what makes it so bloody scary.

Mortars in Squad will play so much different to Battlefield. Your going to need proper spotting for a start and not have some auto blips on your map to aim at. This is something like we might have eventually. Definitely a skill to operate effectively.

It's all got away from random bullet splash damage though now so we should get back to that.

Well true but I am talking about random bullet damage when bullets hit like 2" from your head. A very very small distance away from your head. It means that if you were skilled to not get shot before then you would still be skilled to not stand less than 2" away from a bullet that would have killed you were you just 2" closer. The randomness really isn't the point at this minimal distance and also not the danger of the damage done. Mostly added for immersion and suppression effect really, as well as realism of course. Mortar rounds most certainly will have elements of randomness to who dies in the sphere of the impact location, simulating splinters. You would still be too close in that case too. I think you are reading in too much game-outcome effects of this small feature. It will mostly only affect outcome of the game in the same way as suppression effects do. Not much else. But it would be cool. We are talking minimal damage here.

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson