Fieldfare

Why the medic aversion?

72 posts in this topic
14 hours ago, Kerri said:

The one thing I miss is the ability to inform my squad lead of mass casualty areas on the map, which can give us a lot more situational awareness, because neither other squad leaders nor medics call this out for some reason.

Not sure what you mean by "ability". Personally, I do that a lot

In general I think medics are the best class to support the SL and keep him updated about the situation.

I usually check my map A LOT when I play as medic (probably even more than most squadleaders do), so I convey any important information that they may not have noticed yet.

1 hour ago, Tajin said:

Not sure what you mean by "ability".

Ability to see casualty markers on the map is exclusive to medics, otherwise you're having to stare at individual markers long enough to see if they're moving, and even then they might just be stationary watching a doorway, etc.

Edit; Another thing I'd like to see to make the medic class more playable is the ability to differentiate between squadmates that are down and regular players, and again with injured people. It might already be in the game with squadmates having slightly larger icons, but it's so minute I can't tell if that's really the case or not. It's not even the case that you can just mouse over them, because both squad members and blue guys show up with green (the colour of your squad) nametags in the map view.

I know you should be picking everyone up, whether they're in your squad or not, but there are lots of reasons why you would want to know where your own squad is, and that's very hard to do when you're playing medic and their green arrows on them are replaced with generic injured markers.

Edited by Kerri

in all honesty for the sake of realism being able to see downed bodies on the map is not a thing... so this is the medics special ability and can inform SL as I also do when medic... not quite sure why you need to differentiate between squads.. you should get everyone up.

On 11.5.2017 at 7:51 PM, Kerri said:

The one thing I miss is the ability to inform my squad lead of mass casualty areas on the map

On 12.5.2017 at 11:59 AM, Kerri said:

Ability to see casualty markers on the map is exclusive to medics

Sorry you're not really making sense there.

Medics can already see casualties and can (via mic) relay that information to their squad.

On 12.5.2017 at 11:59 AM, Kerri said:

differentiate between squadmates that are down and regular players

Never really had a problem with that, so I'm not sure. (if in doubt, check your map)

Might be good to have a green circle or something around the icon.

@embecmom

Yes. Getting everyone up is good, IF there is time and you have enough cover.

Otherwise it's better to just revive leaders and medics from other squads. They can take care of the rest.

It's not good if you spend all your bandages on random people and then you have none left when your squad moves on.

An alternative would be, to ask the survivors from other squads to bandage their comrades before you heal them.

Edited by Tajin

2 hours ago, Tajin said:

Sorry you're not really making sense there.

Medics can already see casualties and can (via mic) relay that information to their squad.

-

Never really had a problem with that, so I'm not sure. (if in doubt, check your map)

Might be good to have a green circle or something around the icon.

I think you need to re-read my posts before replying. I stated the one thing I miss about playing a medic, since I do it so rarely nowadays, is the ability to see casualties on the map and inform the squad leader, since other medics seem to not do it the vast majority of the time.

And again, you can't differentiate between downed regular players or squad members on your map, since they have the same icon. Even mousing over them doesn't indicate whether they're in your squad or not as both squad members and non-squad members have a green nametag (rather than non-squad members having a blue nametag)

You know very well why the medic aversion.

I like it but i understand most people don't. And that's a good thing because most people aren't medics in a squad.

On 18.5.2017 at 1:16 PM, WorstNoobEVER said:

I like it but i understand most people don't. And that's a good thing because most people aren't medics in a squad.

Hmm that is actually a very good point.

Make the medic too favourable (as far as his kit goes) and more people would use it without actually doing their job.

I think it's good as it is.

I don't see why, you can get right up into the thick of the fight and not just sit back and heal. Hell! sometimes you have lead the way just to get to a downed squad member. But you are either loved or hated for your efforts and that might turn some people away from it.

Worst thing about being medic is not having any benefits from it. 9/10 times i die as a medic its simply because the squad got whiped or second medic is downed/not manned. So im always busy reviving people but the second i need help myself noone can do anything and i have to respawn.

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

Here's the kicker, most would rather go a standard rifleman instead of medic... which makes no sense. Especially, given that you have the same rifle, a grenade and "you can heal yourself"! I guess some just don't like the occasional grief that comes with it at times. Since the addition of the grenade I think its a more viable option.

Additionally, you have a better fix on threat locations by way of injured friendly players on map. I believe it will change as the game and player base matures.

I think the biggest problem is - if there is a medic near by, players will be gung ho. This leads the medic to performing one duty - bandaging. Personally I find this to be the least engaging aspect of the game. I have no problems with logi running (which is often designated to riflemen) and so I will generally take rifleman where I can (unless a medic is needed).

I think there needs to be more critical injuries that can't be saved and a revive limit (1 or 2). This way the medic is a rifleman who, given the right circumstances, can turn a firefight around. But who isn't there to continually pick up the mess of bodies that throw themselves at an enemy because of the red cross.

Medic is such a ballache to play. You just run around with your bandages equipped and never using your rifle. People who die in stupid places keep whining in comms and you have  to waste time trying to explain to them the reason why youre not running into 50cal fire to save their life. And when they tell you to use smoke grenades, even more time needs to be wasted on explaining that smoke screens are not bulletproof.

Atm there are two types of medics you have in your squad, first one is the type that never really fires his gun, just runs around bandaging people and keeping them alive. The second type is the ones who sigh as they are told to play the medic and at the end of an hour long match they have max 4 revives because they cant be bothered.

A solution for the annoying playstyle of the medic (in my opinion, feel free to tell me its wrong) would be making bullets more lethal. Getting headshot should mean you are not revivable and shooting the incapacitated bodies should result fully killing the target. Kinda odd that a russian 14.5mm gun can mow down an entire squad just have them all saved by some magical field medic. 20-30% of casualties should be salvageable to reduce the workload of medics. If your squad gets wiped by some HMG then its the squads fault and they pay the price.

13 hours ago, Loxx_ said:

Getting headshot should mean you are not revivable and shooting the incapacitated bodies should result fully killing the target.

This should be a thing anyway, imo.

Edited by LaughingJack

Much love is needed for the medic role. If you think about it, it's the one thing that makes the Squad gamplay work. Having long respawn times require people to have a chance to get revived to be able to live with that fact and want to keep playing the game.

Extra frag grenade, sidearm ability to self heal what more you want. :)

17 minutes ago, Smee said:

Extra frag grenade, sidearm ability to self heal what more you want. :)

Comes with a responsibility of healing teammates - also, the con of everyone screaming "MEDIC" in your ear as you walk through the mounds of moaning players.

But other than that, good class.

I don't think most players would care to much about the medics mechanics, abilities in comparison to the expected play style.

Simply put many do not want that play style.

Many that do then really need many hours in decent Squads to learn how the mechanics and abilities can be used effectively.

As a basic local communication is so important, I play medic fairly regularly and I will do the following:

1. Before I come to you ask you for a quick idea on the situation, I am particularly interested in knowing if enemy are near and if so where (in relation to you) and how many.

2. As I get you up I will tell you where to look, and what to do. Something like pull back to me, watch SE and suppress etc.

Very few medics ever ask me similar things, and most ask me nothing...............

5 hours ago, Nikko B said:

Comes with a responsibility of healing teammates - also, the con of everyone screaming "MEDIC" in your ear as you walk through the mounds of moaning players.

But other than that, good class.

I tend to leave the person shouting MEDIC to last... if the die in a stupid spot I also say to them no chance.. spawn not worth two tickets to get idiot up... as the medic you have the power!

7 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

I don't think most players would care to much about the medics mechanics, abilities in comparison to the expected play style.

Simply put many do not want that play style.

Many that do then really need many hours in decent Squads to learn how the mechanics and abilities can be used effectively.

As a basic local communication is so important, I play medic fairly regularly and I will do the following:

1. Before I come to you ask you for a quick idea on the situation, I am particularly interested in knowing if enemy are near and if so where (in relation to you) and how many.

2. As I get you up I will tell you where to look, and what to do. Something like pull back to me, watch SE and suppress etc.

Very few medics ever ask me similar things, and most ask me nothing...............

I do the same. I also put my safety first, if you're out there in the open under fire, sorry buddy, I'm not coming for you. I'm more valuable alive than dead. OK, maybe with the SL , I'll sometimes try to be the hero. I can't wait for dragging.....

Most people I play with figure out quickly that I'm not a complete idiot, so I don't get guys screaming medic all that often, they just let me know they're down and let me work out how to get to them. 

11_Harley_11 and RoyBatty M.I.A. alpha squad medic's.

For god and country OWI, bring back the darn medic bino's.

...make your voice heard in the forums...yay...