Fieldfare

Why the medic aversion?

72 posts in this topic

Why would you want to take a medic role, while it has an M4 with an Aimpoint sight? There are better roles to take, which in the end make you enjoy the game way more. On top of that, you might even get a 1000000 points per round, and that would not mean anything at all, since there are no ranks/rewards/progression system, or anything like that, which would in the slightest make you want to do anything in regards to the team work. My first couple games in SQUAD were okay, but having barely 31 hours, I already feel like having a "deja vu" every single time I join a server. It is just to repetitive, and lacks in content at the moment, but since it is an Alpha version, that can be understood.

I would not mind though, having a rank/reward/progress system, even the simpliest one.

Americas Army, a game I had hundreds hours in introduced an honor system in one of the later versions. After reaching a certaing value, while selecting a C [special forces] slot, you got exactly that. Everyone else, who did not had required honor value, while selecting a C slot, was instead playing with AKSU. You also had a profile on the website, where you could check your army uniform, with service patches, and appropriate rank.

Red Orchestra 2, has also introduced somehow similar system. You get to earn the class ranks, but you also get to level your account in general, what that means is change the skin of a soldier you are currently playing.

As you can see, both Honor in Americas Army, and the account level of Red Orchestra 2, have hardly any affect on the game itself, beside the C slot, they give completely no advantage, or disadvantage, while players might feel that they are rewarded by gaining points.

Edited by Materia

Just a few ideas why medic is great:

-M4+ aimpoint is a very good close/mid range weapon.

=>Use your smokes to break line of sight and force the enemy into CQB.You can patch & heal yourself 5x. => atleast 5kills.

=> Medic is the best class for HAB camping.(patches and self heal!)

-Summon your minions aka revive your teammates. Tell them to stick with you to protect you. Tell them to patch wounded soldiers so

you dont have to use your own patches.

-Friendly medics will revive you first because you are one of them ;)

-Your squad will protect you. Always send your squadmembers first in a dangerous situation. If they die you know where the enemys are and you can deal with them.

-Don't revive teammates who died in really stupid spots e.g. middle of the street while the enemys are holding the nearby buildings.

-It looks pretty good on the end screen with 20+ revives while almost everyone else has a zero in that specific stat.

The last round I played as medic was fun, the other medic (nibbler) and I where battling for revives, and with constant reminders we cracked a 17  (beat him 12  to 5)revives with only 13 loses. Not bad for a refinery rush.So I had only one kill it was a support role and keeps my knowledge of how the different roles need to be played.

If you play as 3rd man you can normally pick up kills and save tickets, a cracking medic will keep the squad up and functional. Reminding a player that if the sneeze they are going down, that triage will keep them going builds on the squad. I love the revives now on the scoreboard for it shows how strong a squad is, higher revives more co ordination. 

The problem is most people don't see how vital the can be.

On 4/11/2017 at 10:06 PM, beginna said:

Already suggested several times.

Here a developer's answer:

;)

Great news did not see that one ;-)

Thanks.

On 4/16/2017 at 1:45 PM, Materia said:

Why would you want to take a medic role, while it has an M4 with an Aimpoint sight? There are better roles to take, which in the end make you enjoy the game way more.

Yeah, why help your team when you can be a selfish, worthless rifleman.

I personally enjoy playing a medic majority of the time when I'm not squad-leading.Good point have been made here though. I feel like a lot of probably is due to the fact that people give up and the role is not always given a lot of attention. I have found my most enjoyable medic games are when the SL and team value you coming to save the team. When I do get to be SL, I always try to make sure we have a many medics as possible and try to encourage the team that they need to pay attention to the medics when first "briefing" the squad.

2 hours ago, Cavazos said:

Being a medic means avoiding getting into a firefight.

It doesn't, though. It means avoiding being the tip of the spear and healing instead of shooting when there is healing to be done. I do plenty of fighting when I play medic and I almost always outperform the other squad medic in healing, if there even is another.

I don't mind playing medic when US - I need the red dot in my life as I seriously struggle with iron sights.

The role IMO does need a single frag.

In the right Squad there's plenty of action as a medic, but it is a tough role to play.

On 16.4.2017 at 8:45 PM, Materia said:

As you can see, both Honor in Americas Army, and the account level of Red Orchestra 2, have hardly any affect on the game itself, beside the C slot, they give completely no advantage, or disadvantage, while players might feel that they are rewarded by gaining points.

At least for RO 2 that is not true at all, you have to unlock weapons like the mbk.42 and also its attachments (bayonet and a scope).

You also have to unlock the mg42, bigger magazine/belt feed for the MG34, K98K without the ring on the sight..... you also get small stat advantages in stuff like sprinting and suppression resistance. (Played a lot of RO:2)

4 hours ago, Valdr said:

It doesn't, though. It means avoiding being the tip of the spear and healing instead of shooting when there is healing to be done. I do plenty of fighting when I play medic and I almost always outperform the other squad medic in healing, if there even is another.

I agree, I play medic a lot and mostly take the 6o clock in my squad and reviving/healing my mates.

You just always have to remember that your main target is always(ok 95% of the time) to heal your boyz N girlz.

I love playing medic, everyone is so nice to you !

Seriously though, I am either playing Medic or LAT. I love the change of pace with the medic class though I find it a lot more hectic sometimes diving in trying to heal your squad mates under the cover of smoke and fire. You have rounds incoming and outgoing playing an important role, and when you have 2 medics working with each other trying to stay alive, you become a very very effective squad.

On 4/1/2017 at 10:51 AM, Komus said:

Squad is actually a pretty intimidating game for most of the playerbase. I think a lot of people are scared of the responsibility of even just being a medic. Its easy to point the finger: "they just want to deathmatch," but if you consider that theyre actually not confident in their own ability to stay alive in a gunfight, it makes a lot more sense.

Heh this is exactly how i felt when i got in to project reality 11 years ago, very accurate, i suppose i forgot how that feels like and think everyone is a moron these days, but people just have to keep playing and build confidence i guess.

Edited by MilosV

On 11.4.2017 at 7:42 PM, UnderFire said:

Because the controls for medic are a ball ache and this is the reason i swerve this class. Why can they not separate the bandages and medic bag? Having to keep cycling through theses every time all game is just annoying. 

WHOOOT !!! Is this still implemented like this. When they implemented this terrible brainfart (from separated kit numbers, bardon my language) somewhere at the Pre-Alpha/early Alpha I went from happy medic to medic who constantly curse that he have wrong pack of kit on hand ... terrible .. terrible .. terrible.

Unfortunately it seems to me that awfully lot of people also do not understand the importance of the two medics playing together. If you have two even average medics playing together they literally are more than the sum of each.

Also what makes me mad when I'm medics (or were when I still played, now I just wait beta) is that when you try to keep the squads life maxed out (one of the most important tasks of the medic, not so the reviving) people just don't freakin' stop running around like headless chickens .... Or when they stop you get a gun barrel to your forehead and you need to babysit the basics to the friendly soldier that his most important duty in that situation is to keep us both alive, by scanning the surroundings.

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

what annoys me as medic is that I am reviving someone then another medic comes to the guy I just revived and starts to heal, bad mojo having 2 medics so close to each other.

Another one is when you revive and heal someone and they just look at you instead of checking front !.

I tend to play medic a lot as no one else will take the role. Got to say that I do enjoy it but I really need to work on my target acquisition and aiming as I seldom get to engage the enemy.

With the new update medics now get one grenade. I can see a lot more people playing medic now.

I love being medic. It's very gratifying to patch your team back together and get the job done. Your team also treats you like a rock star for constantly healing them. I think it's great that they gave us a grenade now. I didn't like the fact that I couldn't carry explosives as a medic.

Being a Medic is a blast from my experience. Plenty of action when you're in a proactive squad. Every time I've played the role my boys keep me covered and I always keep them alive. 

I started out playing medic, because most squads I joined either had no medics or just had one. I got more comfortable with the role, so I usually just pick it if it's open. In all the time I've played, I get the usually thank you or nothing at all (which is fine). But recently got told I was appreciated, that made me feel great.

My main annoyance, is when someone gets hit and doesn't bandage themselves. I feel that the person forgets or just doesn't care, that a medic only has 6 bandages. Granted you can get more from an ammo crate (if one is built and it's close) or upon death (not ideal, but the most likely event to happen).

I'm a very patient guy and i find the medic to meet my playstile. I'm not too good at spotting enemies and even worse hitting them, so medic is a perfect class for me. But who knows if that'll change as i get more experienced with the game. I still think the medic will be my favourtite class.

With the handgrenade after the Patch playing Medic is now Not the massive pain in the Ass Like before.

Would still Love to See some more goodies on medics so more Players would be attract to Play that Kit.

On 31.3.2017 at 7:59 PM, MultiSquid said:

The medic is inherently boring to many people and there isn't a single thing you could do to change that.

I really don't think it is. Quite the contrary actually.

It can be quite thrilling to have a whole downed squad rely on your magic hands while at the same time shouting to the people around you to provide some cover and ocassionally shooting a bad guy in the face that tries to interrupt your work.

I think most people simply shun the responsibility that comes with it.

On 11.4.2017 at 6:29 PM, Valdr said:

It's truly staggering how utterly, utterly terrible the vast majority of medics are.

Very true. It baffels me how often I see a bunch of 4 or more medics cowering over a single casualty.

On 24.4.2017 at 5:36 AM, Cavazos said:

Being a medic means avoiding getting into a firefight.

Yes and no. You do stay back at first (or in the middle of your squad) but when the shit really hits the fan, you eventually have to jump right into the action and hope for the best.

On a sidenote, if healing and hiding is too boring for you, keep the following in mind:

- Aside from the Squadleader, good medics tend to have the best situational awareness and always know where their squadmates are (I personally check the map very often when I stay back) . Use that to your squads advantage, you can take some load off your SLs back by helping with the micromanagement. Make sure people cover each direction, let the SL know if nearby squads take casualties.

There is a lot you can do, beeing medic never gets boring for me.

(I just get somewhat bored of having to tell everyone I revive not to look at the damn medic and to provide cover instead) .. xD

ps.: I love having a frag-grenade now but I don't think it was necessary.

Edited by Tajin

I used to always take medic if it was available, why wouldn't you? You have the same loadout as a regular rifleman with the benefit of being able to heal yourself and revive others. Even moreso with the last update that gave them a fragmentation grenade.

But nowadays I'm doing it less often. Like the people above said, people are idiots, and I don't like having the responsibility to assist them all of the time. Sure, you can just ignore them, but at that point you might as well just be a regular rifleman and let someone else babysit them.

The one thing I miss is the ability to inform my squad lead of mass casualty areas on the map, which can give us a lot more situational awareness, because neither other squad leaders nor medics call this out for some reason.