Fieldfare

Why the medic aversion?

64 posts in this topic

I've been seeing this over and over in recent weeks, only going worse and worse. 

Pretty much nobody wants to play the class. It's always a struggle to fill both medic slots despite asking nicely. Even getting the one on pub games is sometimes a struggle.

When ordered to take one it's just moaning nonstop or leaving squad.

I myself enjoy medic as my main because it's such a juggernaut of a class, however I'm struggling to understand why the basic rifleman, with the exact same gun, is still more popular than medic which is basically Rifleman on steroids. You can kill, and you can revive. You're the one who decides who lives and who dies. The most important role of them all.

So I'm asking you forums, tell me why you don't feel like playing medic? What would you change in the class to make you want to pick it up?

Is it the lack of a grenade, is it the responsibility that you don't want? Maybe it's the playstyle that puts you off because you can't take point and need to tend to allies instead? 

I'd love to know because the lack of medics and people yelling for medics leads to nothing but a terrible Squad experience for everyone involved.

I tend to play medic a lot when not squadleading, but it's a responsibility and a playstyle you have to live with while playing, and sometimes i just want to launch RPG's at the enemy instead of staying back and tend to all the sad dead people. bevause the medic is so important he needs to play a somewhat boring game compared to the standard riflemen - expendables.

From my 500 hours in squad i played ~400 as medic. And i'm just tired to play medic in puplic games, as no1 wants to step up. Everybody thinks: oh.... he played medic in the last round, he will do it once again, when a new round starts.
Also i'm leaving squads, when i ask politely for a 2nd medic in a full squad and noone takes the role. Why should i be the only one getting yelled constantly: MEEEEDIIC.

Posted (edited)

The medic is inherently boring to many people and there isn't a single thing you could do to change that. Not having grenades is only part of the problem but I think the main reason would be the optimal playstyle for a medic, which won't really change. A smart medic would stay at the back of his squad and cover their six, which usually means you don't get to see a lot of action. Even when the time comes when it's your turn to shine, it consists of tediously creeping up to one of your allies (often under fire, either because your squad got wiped or they don't know how to cover you) and holding left click on him until he's healed. There's also a deeply rooted misconception many people have that medics don't get a lot of kills (and Squad is about kills, after all *wink wink*), even though it often happens I get the most kills in squad when playing as a medic, and I know several players who have encountered similar 'anomaly'.

It's kind of the same as playing a squad leader, you also shouldn't put yourself in danger if you can avoid it, but without the extra layer of responsibility which comes with leading.

I almost forgot - the attitude of non-medic players can be a huge factor as well. The usual useless "MEEEDIIIIC" shouting in squad radio (which is just plain stupid, because it doesn't tell your medic anything besides the fact there's a wounded guy somewhere) or on local chat (which is better, but not useful when I'm trying to listen for footsteps of the enemy who killed that particular teammate) and the general air of entitlement to medical attention even though some players just go to exposed places and die, expecting the medic to magically ride to their rescue, that also might be a major turn-off for a lot of people.

Edited by MultiSquid

Personally, I don't mind playing the Medic role. Often I'll get told to take it in CCFN, scrims or pubs and I'll do it to the best of my ability. I'm a decent medic, but not the best or as good as the guys who main it. Now, that's not because the Medic kit is underpowered, boring or anything of that sorts. I used to main Medic in the early days purely because that's what my general gaming experience was about (always mained Medic in Battlefield games, did several years of ARMA milsim playing as a combat medic etc) but once other factors came into play and I became part of a larger outfit of players I got good at other roles.

The Rifleman kit however does have an advantage, the frag grenades. Getting 2 is pretty damn handy, but it's definitely not worth ignoring the open Medic slot.

I would change a whole lot in terms of the Medic, but the developers are already going to do that when the time comes for another iteration. It definitely needs more development, which is going to have its turn eventually so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The playstyle and meta in general is too fast for most which makes Medic a pretty chaotic experience with a lot of responsibility. I get annoyed in pubs when people constantly screech "Mediiiiiiiiiiiiiiic" down their mic even though you told them you're coming to pick them up, or the players that never shut up spamming and demanding you revive or heal them.. which isn't necessarily a good start in the first place especially when you revive them and all they do is stare at your face instead of facing out and pulling security / covering. There's a huge list of reasons for me personally, but the biggest one is the meta/the playstyle of the general player base. Tell me to play Medic in a squad made up of my fellow clan mates, or perhaps other clan's members? Sure. Tell me to play Medic with a squad full of completely stranger pubs and I'll do it, but I definitely won't enjoy it because they're not as reliable as the people I'm used to playing with. It gets frustrating when people yell down mic after you addressed them, when they give up when you told them you're coming for them and you end up leaving your squad exposed, when they run out into the open and get blasted by a 30mm and then throw a hissy fit when you say you're not coming to get them because they're out in the open...

It's an important role, and the mechanics/kit itself will receive more development time down the line and it will without a doubt shake up the meta. It's enjoyable, depending on the circumstances for me, but it's by no means a role that should be flat out ignored for a rifleman kit because someone can't handle the responsibility or they want to "kill kill kill" because they think Squad is about racking up kill counts (which by the way, a Medic will handle anyway no matter how good of a shooter you are).

Posted (edited)

Great points so far. I can definitely relate to the situation of having the comms flooded of people barely over their teens yelling for "MEDIC COME REZ ME QUICK" in 10 different languages. It adds an unneeded layer of stress. Though I have to admit I do prioritize those people who act out death sounds just because little bit of theatrical flair never fails to amuse me. Usually what has worked for me is that I announce right at the start that I don't want to hear that bullshit and most stay quiet... sadly you can't have the entire team follow that :c

So yeah, one factor I can wholeheartedly agree is that squadmates that think medics exist only to help them get kills are a definite turn-off for the class. A little gratefulness goes a long way.

One solution which I think would benefit AND hurt the whole of the game would be to disable mic when downed. No more "He's right behind that corner, watch out!" which would definitely make the game harder, and is largely unrealistic (then again getting revived from a 30mm hit to the chest isn't really realistic either).

If capped like that it'd also surely make people give up sooner just so they can talk again and that would hurt the meta too much. Can't see it working out too well to be perfectly honest. 

Like it was said well earlier, nothing's ever gonna change the fundamental gameplay of medic. But I'll sure as hell bounce up and down once dragging mechanic is implemented as it's gonna make the job much less dangerous and diverse than same old crawling in undetected and touching people in inappropriate places. Friendlies carrying wounded from other areas opens up the class to play more often like a riflemen instead of a bandage messenger shuttling around the backlines.

Which is why I feel people dislike medic, it's always the same. Situations rarely differ and adrenaline is low to those seeking the thrill of the kill and beating another player's skill. Unless ofc you like to "roleplay" as you go and value your life dearly... then medic crawling under fire is intense as hell.

Edited by Fieldfare

Squad is actually a pretty intimidating game for most of the playerbase. I think a lot of people are scared of the responsibility of even just being a medic. Its easy to point the finger: "they just want to deathmatch," but if you consider that theyre actually not confident in their own ability to stay alive in a gunfight, it makes a lot more sense.

The shame is that the class actually has the best mechanic for understanding a new and confusing battlefield - they see dead people! How much faster one learns the meta by just watching where people die :D

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I play medic @75% if the time, largely because with my lame computer, that's where I can actually make a difference. I have over time taken a more conservative approach to how I play. If you run out of the compound into enemy fire, or out into the open like a fool, there's no way I'm going to try to be the hero and get you back up. Staying alive to benefit the entire squad is more important than reviving just one. I'll tell people that at the beginning of the match and while in sticky situations. "If you leave this compound, you're on your own, I'm not coming for you."

The cons: (If you play it well)

- You shouldn't be the tip of the spear, you need to keep yourself safe, which means missing out on a lot of shooting. 

- You should follow your SL like a dog. One medic should anyway.

- The wounded/dead icons make it confusing to tell who is actually dead on the map. Which one is my SL? Other medic? Blueberry?

- Dipshits in coms

- You usually get killed while you're helpless in the middle of a bandaging animation. 

- People that give up without a thought

- People that give up right as you get there

- People that give up even though you told them you'll get to them 

- No grenade

- No more binocs, I would often work with my SL as a spotter in the old days.

The pros:

- By keeping the SL alive, the two of you can make your squad immortal. Heal your SL and with you, he gets to drop a new rally to enable your squad to keep going. A good SL recognizes that you're the most important member of the squad. 

- Reviving your entire squad when the enemy thinks they've wiped it? Priceless. 

- Saving a cap because you can get the other medics up who can then help revive everyone? Even better. 

- You often have the highest score in the squad

- Working with another good medic is rewarding

I end up medic a fair amount of the time. I'm a fairly new player and like others have said, it's a good role for learning the basic mechanics of the game. 

That said, 90% of the time I'd rather be a rifleman/special and be closer to the action. I hate the feeling I get when my squad mates are engaging the enemy while I'm stuck bandaging my squad mate for the 5th time. 

I don't think there's a great way to fix that. I would imagine the majority of players want to be in the action, not deliberately avoiding it. Although I've gotten a fair amount of kills as medic and have stopped my squad from getting flanked a time or two.

Give the medic a grenade and a lot more people would play it.

Screw the grenades, what I need is more smokes, bandages and give back my binos! I miss my binos.:( Also maybe make medical system to bit more complex pretty please? :x 

Back to thread itself. Can't really think what could make it more appealing to majority of players. Even if you give some grenades and whatnot, the same rules would still apply. You can't be in the "first wave" of assault and your job is still to prioritize those who are fallen. Not to kill enemies.
I can understand why some don't want to be medic on public squads. It can be really tedious to deal with those guys who run in front of the 30mm in open fields surrounded with hills full of enemy squads and start yelling "MEDIIIC, MEDIIIC IMMADOWNCOMEGETMEWHATISTAKINGSOLONG?!?!?!?!?" And when you manage to get there using all your smokes, your teams ammunition and the guy gives up when you have bandaged him.
Usually when the screaming starts I just tell the guy to shut up and to think next time. 
LugNut pretty much sums pros and cons playing the medic role. The thrill of saving people under heavy fire is what makes the medic class perfect for me. 

I tend not to play medic these days, I used to all the time.

My reasons are as follows:

1. Overall it's not my preferred playstyle

2. In effective comm's re medic stuff from the majority of the player base

3. The medic class really needs a grenade

I will play medic if we are USA in a clan or known player Squad no problem, I need red dot as my eye sight is not good at all with iron sights.

I'll admit that I just started this game over the weekend, but my favorite role thus far has been medic. I would imagine the reasoning for me is similar to why I usually play healers in MMOs. I just like being the support role. I like when people rely on me and I enjoy feeling like I'm a key to victory in games. 

That being said, I derive a lot of enjoyment simply from helping others. Not everyone gets that same feeling though so I would imagine that for some it would be beneficial to have something special to the medic class besides reviving. It seems to me that the medic feels like the weakest of the classes simply for the lack of red dot, binocs, grenades, or really anything besides my medkit. I understand that the idea is that if you can revive, you're already powerful. It just lacks the feeling of power for some folks as you're tasked with a support role. 

I know medics used to have binocs. I feel like this is maybe something that should be returned. I like the idea of a medic being a secondary scout from the backline. Maybe this was removed for some grander purpose, but it is a little saddening. 

As far as the players who constantly call for medics after they go down, I would say that you shouldn't be afraid to assert yourself when you go medic. Tell them that you know they're down, you can see on your map, and you'll get to them if it's realistic. I'm not going to hustle myself into the line of fire to revive you. I'm a bit more valuable than that. If we clear the hostiles, then I'll revive you. Otherwise, lay there and wait. We'll get you when we can or the SL will have you give up if we can't. 

Posted (edited)

I get more kills with medic class than I do with others.. my game style changes.. at the back, slow movement and using cover .also knowing many of my squad mates are relying on me.. so when approaching a downed person I tend to circle around and take my time which means I get the kills.. but I think in future there should be an option for the SL to open the slots he wants filled rather than it being a free for all once the first three are filled. and I mean filled in order of preference.   Alot of players just dont want to play medic because they think AT or sniper is some sort of heroic position for kills, but thats because they are not playing medic properly.

I also would like as SL to assign medic to the first person that says 'why do we not have / only have, x no. of medics'  thats what drives me nuts.. if you think its important to have medics then friggin take it yourself instead of expecting others to wipe your mess up!

would be good to be able to apply a quick morphine injection to revive players based on their level of injury (how much they have bled out will require more morphine injections or full bandage and heal) so they can have some with quick recovery ..then bandage ..then heal.  So if you get to them right away and only a small bleed out it will not take so much to heal them/bandage.. will speed up the whole heal process.  If you run out of bandages at least you can get the guy up on some ocasions and pull back.

ability to drop mobile healing kit bag that acts like a healing centre but for slow recovery .. so if medic is down players can pull back to the station to slow their death down.

drag players out of contact

give medic one grenade

Edited by embecmom

I don't play Medic because it's a tough role to play. I gravitate mostly towards the AT and Grenadier roles because that's where my gameplay style (direct / indirect fire support) is best suited. When I do play Medic, it's something that is stressful and sometimes frustrating for me.

Here's why:

1. A lot of times squads don't do enough to protect their medic. They expect you to run out and revive them, but will often times look straight at you when you get them up, instead of pulling security. 

2. Death count  - I find that I die most when playing the medic. Why? Because you're often asked/ordered/expected to run into a firefight to revive people and then you get yelled at if you don't. See my next point.

3. Demanding players / SLs - unlinke any other class, I hear medics get abused most often. "MEDIC! HEAL ME!" is all I hear when I'm playing the class. If you don't have your bag out almost 100% of the time healing, people complain. If you don't revive them because their position is too dangerous, they complain. If you tell them to wait instead of giving up, they complain.

4. Clunky revive mechanics - I have a giant med bag, but it apparently doesn't hold enough to stabilize somebody who's bleeding out? To me, part of the problem is how long I have to spend in the process of reviving. It becomes tedious. I get that part of this game is realism, but in reality a field dressing is trumped by the medical kit a corpsman or medic carries. 

5. Last, but certainly not least, it's a thankless role. I play grenadier, a lot. I can't count the number of times I've been congratulated for a particularly good 40mm round, or marking enemy locations with smoke. As a medic? I can count on one hand the amount of times somebody has said "thanks" when being healed or revived. I know, it's silly. I shouldn't EXPECT to be thanked. But still.

For me, I'm just not cut out to be medic, because of the above. But I give major kudos to those who are. And, always, if the squad needs a medic I'm happy to roll that. But I can see why people avoid it like the plague.

Why aversion...as medic,

Recently removed from medic is the ability to see action on map through casualities over distances 200m and more....that magic is now gone.

A little faster with bandaid but does it matter... no big magic.

Learn gameplay fast, yes, do medic and suffer while learning

why stick to the role when it can be altered at each spawn or ammo Box, and SL in command do not really care who,holds the kit, unless its a known player. Doubt that clans wants only dedicaded medics, one should alternate kits.

binos gone since long, sad but it was fun and added to SL situation awereness through medic. scout too far from Squad and SL became mad...

medic has its unique learning curve

Often casualties are camped by enemy, medic need support most of the time to get close enough, but Will noob riflemen listen?  Nah!

Medic need to manage over comms for support to happen, and if SL do not care/understand or provide help - bad things happen.

A single medic in Action is as weak as a single riflemen about in some field. It wont work, or medic fail over and over... no magic happening there, plain boring as solo medic. 

In a good game, there is support, there is time to heal, there are two medics, and SL use medics map awareness,, so blame the SL in case medic is left alone, behind and swap if nothing improves.

Quite simple me thinks. It's just less fun for most and can almost feel like work at times. Not every player fully appreciates the world of difference a couple of good medics can make. For many, Squad's implementation of the medic system is the first time they have encountered such mechanics. Would you rather spend the whole game staring at terrible bandaging animations or blowing up BTRs? :)

I'm not worried though. As they flesh out more cool features for the medic system, it'll attract more players.

Doesn't really make a difference since most medics just play as rifleman anyway. It's truly staggering how utterly, utterly terrible the vast majority of medics are.

11 minutes ago, Valdr said:

Doesn't really make a difference since most medics just play as rifleman anyway. It's truly staggering how utterly, utterly terrible the vast majority of medics are.

you are correct, in most public servers much of the time.

The clans role differently, this is where you will find close knit teamplay in Squad most of the time. Of course a group of friends who play regulary as a team counts as a clan as well.

Because the controls for medic are a ball ache and this is the reason i swerve this class. Why can they not separate the bandages and medic bag? Having to keep cycling through theses every time all game is just annoying. 

For me, I dislike playing medic but will do only if absolutely necessary (or if squad leader specifically requests that I do).

But a medic is a rifleman on steroids! Why not?

Well, the minor thing is turning over 2 grenades for the medkit - but that's not the main reason.

The main reason I personally do not prefer to play the class, is a medic has an extra job and that job is reviving people. Having largely the same loadout as a rifleman does not mean you can simply always do what a rifleman does!

Riflemen are expendable, medics are very important. Riflemen don't frequently have to stop to bandage and revive fallen soldiers safely. Don't get me wrong: medics are certainly one of the most important classes of a squad, and I thoroughly appreciate a good and patient medic. But to say a medic is basically the same as a rifleman just because the weapons loadout is similar, would not be right. A medic is a role, and for that role to be utilized properly, you will have to go out of your way to revive people, and to be available to do so. If you play a medic like a rifleman, you probably shouldn't be playing medic, as eventually your friends would start complaining about not getting picked up.

When I'm playing rifleman, I will start flanking the second gunshots start, taking pauses to single-shot snipe people and trying to sneak around behind them. Eventually, I may get caught out in the open after having taken out 3 or 4 guys, and get shot. Hopefully though, I'll have created enough room for the squad to push up and revive me a minute and a half later or so.

Medics shouldn't be doing such flanks. If they die behind enemy lines, they may not be able to get revived because the only other medic may or may not be alive to do so. And remember the minor thing of 2 grenades: don't underestimate their power in an attack like that.

Medics are awesome, but they don't suit my playstyle. I love medics, praise them! But it's not my class. :)

I dont mind playing with medic class if nothing you can heal yourself fully if you get hurt ;-)

But why not make that you (or any other class) can take a wounded fellow by his belt or tac west and drag him somewhere to safety.Hate getting killed thru smoke in the middle of the street or where ever while trying to revive a buddy.

2 hours ago, Bahrein said:

But why not make that you (or any other class) can take a wounded fellow by his belt or tac west and drag him somewhere to safety.

Already suggested several times.

Here a developer's answer:

;)

The medic needs an optic or binos to assess an area before trying to provide medical assistance.

In the modern game, people are so worried about KD ratios and score.

Give the medic more points and give more points for players bandaging each other.

How about the ability to carry or drag?  might make it easier if you can drag someone back to give aid in cover.

Arma 3 player that uses ACE system for medic here.  I would not want to over complicate the medic in squad though.

Medic class is like being a babysitter and I can see why people would avoid it. People screaming, "medic" as soon as they're downed literally makes me shudder. Every time I hear it I try to be calm and educate the players. Don't scream medic, keep comms clear. You're dead, you have time to open your god damned map and assess the situation. Medic too far? Give up. Medic close but on another player, be patient.  Medic close, give him directions in squad comms, even better in local.