Posted (edited)

On 18.04.2017 at 3:33 AM, LugNut said:

I'd be happy with this TBH.

Looks great.

But what I really worry about.

- Implemsntation air warfare. Current map size barely fit it

- Stuff like on video.

- Artillery barrage.

Avoid to make Red Orchestra 2 clone where over spot (map size 300 on 400 meters) baraging helicopters an you can call arty fire exactly on half of map.

Edited by Cheetah

Helos are excellent and should definitely make their way into the game. However having helos in the current maps' sizes is just useless. Even wheeled vehicles right now are borderline pointless except for the guns on them. A map should be at least 10x10 km to really see vehicles' full potential.

Posted (edited)

I am pretty sure some maps will get bigger when they introduce airwarfare.
Remember that the biggest maps in Project Reality are 4x4 km2 (there's in one 8x8 km2), so everything depends on how realisticly they're gonna make them

Edited by Quacken

On 6/16/2017 at 9:06 PM, xxxWINGNUTSxxx said:

Helos are excellent and should definitely make their way into the game. However having helos in the current maps' sizes is just useless. Even wheeled vehicles right now are borderline pointless except for the guns on them. A map should be at least 10x10 km to really see vehicles' full potential.

Please elaborate on your point that choppers would be "useless" and explain how vehicles are "borderline pointless". 

13 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Please elaborate on your point that choppers would be "useless" and explain how vehicles are "borderline pointless". 

The maps are just too small for aircraft. You would need a huge map for aircraft to make sense, something along the size of Arma maps.

Unless they nerf all anti-air systems to hell, in that case they would have to nerf aircraft to hell and what you end up with is basically the Battlefield series.

Also ground vehicles are almost pointless as transports because they drive across the map in less than 30 seconds. At that point why not just walk.

I would love to see aircraft in Squad, but only on a map big enough to support them with realism and I'm keeping my fingers crossed OWI will try this. After all, Bohemia sells whole games on a single map.

Ground vehicles are less than useful as transports because there are other, more easily accessed points to spawn in to. Increase the cooldown on rallies and you'd see more transport runs and less abandoned trucks. 

You'd have to limit and nerf the crap out of modern AA since their range can cover such a huge percentage of any Squad map if you're going to have helos. I can't see them having flyable fixed wing aircraft without it being cartoony. 

15 hours ago, xxxWINGNUTSxxx said:

Also ground vehicles are almost pointless as transports because they drive across the map in less than 30 seconds. At that point why not just walk.

Have fun trying to walk all the way across Goro or Yeho or Fool's Road or.. almost anything but Sumari!

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

17 hours ago, xxxWINGNUTSxxx said:

The maps are just too small for aircraft. You would need a huge map for aircraft to make sense, something along the size of Arma maps.

Unless they nerf all anti-air systems to hell, in that case they would have to nerf aircraft to hell and what you end up with is basically the Battlefield series.

I would love to see aircraft in Squad, but only on a map big enough to support them with realism and I'm keeping my fingers crossed OWI will try this. After all, Bohemia sells whole games on a single map.

Sounds like you're exaggerating a bit. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars had a chopper called an Anansi and the maps were much smaller than Sumari. When you started flying towards the edge of the map you'd get asked "You going AWOL son!?"

In addition, please show me a video of you driving a vehicle across even the smallest maps in 30 seconds because I'd love to see that.

Furthermore, if you look at the smaller maps in UE they're only small because of the boundaries which can easily be enarged. Dontcha be frettin none it'll all be good!

18 hours ago, xxxWINGNUTSxxx said:

Well, my guess is that the anti-air kit will be similar to the HAT kit, 2-3 max on each team. It won't be like battlefield where you have 20 people with stingers. Ground vehicles are not pointless, I guess you never got to experience squad without vehicles.

Also there is this video, IT'S NOT MADE BY THE DEVS but it shows you what it could look like.

Edited by Quacken

Just make air-assets work like they did in PR and don't forget about team-based vote-kick (player suggests kick, players vote) and it'll be all good.

LugNut knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I played Squad from day one without vehicles and IMO it worked just fine, don't you remember? And I'm not talking about 20 guys with Stingers. Even if you have only a single Stinger and a single helo on the map they would have to be nerfed to hell in the current map sizes. Either that or you add heavy fog that sets in at 300m like in PR and that was ugly as hell.

As for the helis in Quake maps, I don't know what they're like, but a Viper, let alone a jet, (IRL) will cruise across Kohat in less than a minute and Sumari in 15 seconds, unless you nerf their speed to hell too.