Ferrino

Poll: Thoughts of SweetFX/ReShade

Thoughts on ReShade/SweetFX  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on SweetFX/ReShades usage?

• I use it, it should not be banned.
    • I don't use it, it should not be banned.
    • I use it, it should be banned.
    • I don't use it, it should be banned.
    • What is ReShade/SweetFX?

Hello guys! 

I have been looking around a little along with a few of my friends from Fusion [FSN] and I have noticed that basically every major clan uses SweetFX when they play the game. It seems like we're one of the few clans actually not using SweetFX... ever... This is because we have a moral stance on what it means to be playing a game fairly and equally. Having a program to change the original game is against the values we have for competitive games. By allowing SweetFX to become so ordain and normal among the clan communities,  it really is a showstopper for a lot of us. It gives the larger clans with connections the ability to share optimal settings between each-other and the rest who aren't with them are at a disadvantage even if they are using SweetFX!

Not being able to spot enemies and then modding your game with a cheat software to change original textures and colorization is exactly the same as saying "I'm bad at shooting, so I needed to some help aiming... So I got an aimbot." 

How is this cheating allowed on official servers and arrangements? 

It alters the look of the game and clearly let's you see further and more clearly through objects than other players - sometimes even further than other SweetFX players.

Would you be using SweetFX if noone else were using it? I know it's hard to see people in vanilla Squad, but that is how it's designed because in real life it's difficult to see a person moving around in the forest 100m away from you if he's trying to hide.

So basically! Do you have the balls to join the rest, the majority, of the Squad community to stop using SweetFX and play the game like it was supposed to be played?

Clan leaders please lead by example and commend every player in your clan who doesn't use SweetFX. 

*Drops mic*

[FSN] Ferrino

Edited by Ferrino

Sick mic drop bro.

It makes the game look much better, which is all that matters to me. I cannot see any further than people not using it and I cannot see through any additional objects. It just looks good.

Edited by saXoni

ReShade/SweetFX give the game, some color that is missing from the base game. Further, it allows me to add some actual AA or sharpening to the image, which is something that UE4 is desperately lacking right now (a good AA implementation). 

Frankly, I probably won't stop using it, it just gives the game that much more life. You don't have to use it, and I don't gain any advantage from using it. 

Example:

Notice, I can't see any further, and nothing is any clearer. Just more sharp. It's not an advantage in ways that you think it is, just a way to give the game some desperately needed color and sharpening. 

I'm fairly certain this has been touched on by an official source stating that it is perfectly fine to do. 

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

20 minutes ago, saXoni said:

Sick mic drop bro.

It makes the game look much better, which is all that matters to me. I cannot see any further than people not using it and I cannot see through any additional objects. It just looks good.

Regardless this is altering the game appearance and however much it makes your game look better, it's not looking as the developers made it. This should not be allowed to do on official servers, as in essence it is modding the game and making altercations to it that the developers did not make or plan!

I'm sorry if you think this is too bad, but it makes the game more unbalanced and even just using it to "make the game look better" should not be allowed in competitions or official servers as everyone can easily say that they are using it only for cosmetic reasons... 

8 minutes ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

ReShade/SweetFX give the game, some color that is missing from the base game. Further, it allows me to add some actual AA or sharpening to the image, which is something that UE4 is desperately lacking right now (a good AA implementation). 

Frankly, I probably won't stop using it, it just gives the game that much more life. You don't have to use it, and I don't gain any advantage from using it. 

Example:

Notice, I can't see any further, and nothing is any clearer. Just more sharp. It's not an advantage in ways that you think it is, just a way to give the game some desperately needed color and sharpening. 

The game was made with lacking colorization in mind! It makes everything blend together, it's a feature to make the game look more realistic and on purpose make it difficult to spot people who are far away. Adding more and more differentiated colors makes it a hell of a lot easier to spot difference, especially when moving. 

I sincerely hope that using SweetFX eventually becomes a banable offense from the official servers and official competitions. 

Edited by Ferrino

7 minutes ago, Ferrino said:

Regardless this is altering the game appearance and however much it makes your game look better, it's not looking as the developers made it. This should not be allowed to do on official servers, as in essence it is modding the game and making altercations to it that the developers did not make or plan!

I'm sorry if you think this is too bad, but it makes the game more unbalanced and even just using it to "make the game look better" should not be allowed in competitions or official servers as everyone can easily say that they are using it only for cosmetic reasons... 

The game was made with lacking colorization in mind! It makes everything blend together, it's a feature to make the game look more realistic and on purpose make it difficult to spot people who are far away. Adding more and more differentiated colors makes it a hell of a lot easier to spot difference, especially when moving. 

I sincerely hope that using SweetFX eventually becomes a banable offense from the official server and official competitions. 

Well I'm sorry to say, but I don't think it's ever going to be a bannable offense. One of the devs (Melbo) even has a preset/installation they show off in this thread:

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

5 minutes ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

Well I'm sorry to say, but I don't think it's ever going to be a bannable offense. One of the devs (Melbo) even has a preset they show off in this thread:

Then it is up to us, the community to relay the message to the devs and Q and A team (who I know some of are also using SweetFX) that we don't want the result of a game to be dependent on using third party software! Implement these features in the game if you want them in it, don't use some proprietary third party solution without having official allowable settings. If you can't or don't want to implement it, then it shouldn't be allowed to be used.

And if you want to use SweetFX, then sure, join a custom server, but please don't clutter the official servers by using software that essentially makes you able to cheat around and see through fog, leaves and fences... 

Edited by Ferrino

Well being that reshade/sweetfx is usable on most games and applications for various reasons across the board I don't see the point of your complaint aside from feeling like some people may have a visual advantage over you in a match. If the Devs didn't approve of such modifications they wouldn't support the use of it themselves. 

Your complaint is literally the same as saying a guy is running the game in 4k with additional AA solutions, multiple monitors, and additional pipelines so he can see better than me since I only run the game on high at 1080p so he's cheating. Post-processing solutions are not aimbots nor are they any bannable cheat whether that be wall-hacking, etc. If games were meant to be run equally across the board they wouldn't have graphics/game options or the ability to support said visual solutions in the first place. There would be a universal setting that all users would have to comply with that could not be changed. 

If you and your clan feel so vehemently on the issue then host a server where post-processing solutions are kickable and settings are universal for all playing on your server. Then you'll get your "even" playing field. Hell if you do feel the community is so against the use of these post-processing solutions make a poll. Let's see the communities voice on the issue, but don't speak for us since you're not us. 

1 minute ago, Fandango831 said:

Well being that reshade/sweetfx is usable on most games and applications for various reasons across the board I don't see the point of your complaint aside from feeling like some people may have a visual advantage over you in a match. If the Devs didn't approve of such modifications they wouldn't support the use of it themselves. 

Your complaint is literally the same as saying a guy is running the game in 4k with additional AA solutions, multiple monitors, and additional pipelines so he can see better than me since I only run the game on high at 1080p so he's cheating. Post-processing solutions are not aimbots nor are they any bannable cheat whether that be wall-hacking, etc. If games were meant to be run equally across the board they wouldn't have graphics/game options or the ability to support said visual solutions in the first place. There would be a universal setting that all users would have to comply with that could not be changed. 

If you and your clan feel so vehemently on the issue then host a server where post-processing solutions are kickable and settings are universal for all playing on your server. Then you'll get your "even" playing field. Hell if you do feel the community is so against the use of these post-processing solutions make a poll. Let's see the communities voice on the issue, but don't speak for us since you're not us. 

It's something you deliberately do though. Using your game setup and settings is something you chose beforehand, not after installing Squad. That is the life of a gamer, the are differences... But when you deliberately allow them when they can easily be avoided, it is definitively cheating. Saying murder isn't against the law, doesn't make it any more of a right thing to do...

Saying that "the devs support it!" is a bad reason for not being against it... The devs shouldn't be for altering their game by essentially modding their game when it's being used in an official capacity, i.e. official servers and competitions. 

6 minutes ago, Ferrino said:

Saying murder isn't against the law, doesn't make it any more of a right thing to do...

Not a good comparison, murder is very much so against the law. SweetFX/ReShade are not. I'm all for a poll to see what people think, but I believe most people answering will say that these programs are anything but cheats. 

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

1 minute ago, Ferrino said:

It's something you deliberately do though. Using your game setup and settings is something you chose beforehand, not after installing Squad. That is the life of a gamer, the are differences... But when you deliberately allow them when they can easily be avoided, it is definitively cheating. Saying murder isn't against the law, doesn't make it any more of a right thing to do...

Saying that "the devs support it!" is a bad reason for not being against it... The devs shouldn't be for altering their game by essentially modding their game when it's being used in an official capacity, i.e. official servers and competitions. 

As I said before there are plenty of other things that "modify the game" like using Nvidia to supersample and run solutions outside of the game through your graphics card ,or adjusting for saturation levels and gamma using third party hardware in your monitor. None of these solutions including reshade/sweetfx are cheating software. Most of these solutions require a powerful system to even run smoothly in the first place. Again if you feel so vehemently make a poll, but don't go spurting about opinion as fact and don't begin to presume everyone agrees with you on the subject. 

kewl

Now they switched to blame StweetFX for their losses hunter.gif

Good clans win not because of SweetFX but because of the knowledge of the game and right usage of it.

PS I don't use it. I tried it, it adds input lag(even without using any visual improvements). I think people who use SweetFX are in disadvantage against people who don't use it but have proper in-game settings, nvidia settings and monitor settings.

Edited by Skul

12 minutes ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

Not a good comparison, murder is very much so against the law. SweetFX/ReShade are not. I'm all for a poll to see what people think, but I believe most people answering will say that these programs are anything but cheats. 

That was kind of the point of using murder as an example. Imagine if it wasn't against the laws, then it should be. 

The same way I believe we'd have a much more even game experience if SweetFX wasn't allowed.

1 minute ago, Skul said:

kewl

Now they switched to blame StweetFX for their losses hunter.gif

Good clans win not because of SweetFX but because of the knowledge of the game and right usage of it.

PS I don't use it. I tried it, it adds input lag. I think people who use SweetFX are in disadvantage against people who don't use it but have proper in-game settings, nvidia settings and monitor settings.

I don't blame it for my losses. Infact I am in one of those good clans that wins most fights.

Wednesday Warzone we usually fight against the filthy Mumblerines (yarr, friendly competition :P) and we usually end up amongst the top-end players on our team if not the server. However when I look at people using SweetFX I can definitively see the advantages it has the possbility of adding by changing how textures and objects show up, you can even get hilltops to appear differently... 

And I agree, using ingame settings is definitively the way to go! 

I see the thread i started only a few days ago quoted above. And I can say 100% there is ZERO benefits gameplay wise. It does make the game brighter and objects sharper but does not give any advantage over another player. Think of it like this, with it off the game is grey and dull, and textures have a slight blur but with it on the game is brighter, more colorful and textures sharper and the grey shade removed.

Try it, follow the thread i made thats quoted above... install it, copy melbo`s file and switch it on and off  and view the difference. 

Now what is wrong and i am sure this is happening quite a lot is diving into the config files and making game changing edits here. I for one would like to the theses files locked and any edits cause the game to crash. 

3 minutes ago, Ferrino said:

The same way I believe we'd have a much more even game experience if SweetFX wasn't allowed.

There are no even game experience on PC, man. Everyone has different monitors, headsets, mices, keyboards, video cards, etc.

If you want even game experience, you've come to the wrong place(PC gaming). If you want even game experience, you're welcome in console world. And even then there will be people with gaming(<1 ms LCD matrix input lag) 144 Hz monitors playing on consoles using gaming gamepads, like this one:

71SjNOZBGmL._SL1500_.jpg

I think most people who use SweetFX use it to make the game look better, rather than because of a competitive advantage. Theoretically I guess it is possible to tweak the values such that it would give a competitive advantage. Then again, many of those values could be manually tweaked in your GPU drivers as well.

I do understand your concern though. It would help to have some better examples of the extent of using these programs specifically for competitive advantages, just to get some insight into that.

Keep in mind though that Squad is still in alpha, not yet in beta, and not yet finished. There's plenty of time to re-consider allowing or disallowing stuff in the future, based on what's being done with it. I believe most use of it is harmless though. (I myself do not use it. I'm an amateur photographer and oversaturation is something I can't stand. :-) )

1 minute ago, Karm said:

I think most people who use SweetFX use it to make the game look better, rather than because of a competitive advantage. Theoretically I guess it is possible to tweak the values such that it would give a competitive advantage. Then again, many of those values could be manually tweaked in your GPU drivers as well.

I do understand your concern though. It would help to have some better examples of the extent of using these programs specifically for competitive advantages, just to get some insight into that.

Keep in mind though that Squad is still in alpha, not yet in beta, and not yet finished. There's plenty of time to re-consider allowing or disallowing stuff in the future, based on what's being done with it. I believe most use of it is harmless though. (I myself do not use it. I'm an amateur photographer and oversaturation is something I can't stand. :-) )

I'll go set up some examples together with Opius to show you how bad it is atm... 

Thank you for acknowledging that this is infact a possible source of concern. Too many people are not aware of the power of adding filters and shading in games.

2 minutes ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

Poll is up, so we can collect actual data...

Well, after we get at least 50000 votes(which is more than forum members ATM), we can say what community actually think(there are what? 200k Squad players in total?).

Don't get too confident after 50-5000 votes.

5 minutes ago, Skul said:

Well, after we get at least 50000 votes(which is more than forum members ATM), we can say what community actually think(there are what? 200k Squad players in total?).

Don't get too confident after 50-5000 votes.

Some data is better than 0 data. It's a statistical sample of the population, not a population sample. You can make inferences/extrapolations from a statistical sampling.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

I kinda sort of see your point, but it's not cheating tbh... having a better computer and screen will also help some players see further than other players... its just how it is.

Gamma "hacking" on night maps is 100 times worse than using sweetfx, and to be honest with the gamma settings i normally run i might as well turn my screen off and play completely blind on night logar for example, if i didn't raise my gamma just a little bit.

the game is in alpha, dont think too much about it, just go with it - get it yourself join the fun.

I just installed it just after reading the message, and just "wow", you should just integrate it to the game, we have much brighters colours , it's a real pleasure to play with it, i'm not anymore destroying my eyes now trying to seeing an enemy behind this fog/grey.