Oily_Goat

FOB Deployable Artillery

Posted (edited)

As someone fascinated with the concept of indirect fire, I am eagerly awaiting the introduction of static artillery. In my opinion having FOB deployables such as Howetzers and mortar pits could greatly improve the game. Not only would it add to the combined arms goal of Squad, but would help turn FOBs into key map objectives for players to attack or defend.

Another thing I would like to see is a manual approach to aiming said artillery, following the trend of the Rocket Technical. Instead of gunners just clicking a map, have them experiment  with the angle of elevation and orientation. This would promote communication with forward observers and keep the crew from getting bored.

So what are your thoughts on FOB based artillery and when do you expect it to be implemented?

Edited by Oily_Goat

9 minutes ago, Oily_Goat said:

As someone fascinated with the concept of indirect fire, I am eagerly awaiting the introduction of static artillery. In my opinion having FOB deployables such as Howetzers and mortar pits could greatly improve the game. Not only would it add to the combined arms goal of Squad, but would help turn FOBs into key map objectives for players to attack or defend.

Another thing I would like to see is a manual approach to aiming said artillery, following the trend of the Rocket Technical. Instead of gunners just clicking a map, have them experiment  with the angle of elevation and orientation. This would promote communication with forward observers and keep the crew from getting bored.

So what are your thoughts on FOB based artillery and when do you expect it to be implemented?

Its the long awaited asset. Can't wait to employ them with my unit.

I love when someone good operates the rocket technical - hearing the rockets launch and then having to take cover is a lot of fun and really adds to the ingame experience.  I'm excited for mortars and artillary too.

Posted (edited)

mortars will be in the next large patch i believe, but actual field artillery im not sure we will ever see - it would be great no doubt, but a 100 something mm howitzers range doesnt really fit within the maps and would only be truly useful on the biggest of the maps, the american 155mm howitzers minimum range is 2.5 or something kilometers... so you would basically only be able to hit the enemy main on most maps if you setup just outside your own.

Edited by Shovely Joe

Mortars will be part of FOB, if they were use properly, they become a objective for the enemy, if not, why waste your time. Artillery(and other heavy barrage) will be part of commander's arsenal and SL is the only one who can place the mark on the map.

I much prefer the rock, paper, scissors approach to gaming. With the scale of the maps artillery would be out of place as it would have to be an AI operated call up from off map with no way for the enemy team to counter it. Mortars though are coming and I definitely want to see them. Coordinating an attack by roughing up the enemy before an attack is just the kind of action Squad is going for. Teamwork being the key there. Being on the receiving end of a mortar attack knowing you're likely to be stormed soon would be pretty scary.

Posted (edited)

Something like 2B16 Nona-K could work with its 400m min range & 2B9 Vasilek with its 770m on the current maps. If we want something bigger, those maps gonna have to get bigger 2.

Speaking about rocket artillery, GRAD-P would also fit good. Limit 2-3~ tubes per map and have some limited  fun.

Edited by Marijuanoz

5 hours ago, Dennisz125 said:

Mortars will be part of FOB, if they were use properly, they become a objective for the enemy, if not, why waste your time. Artillery(and other heavy barrage) will be part of commander's arsenal and SL is the only one who can place the mark on the map.

I like the idea of a mortar pit on FOBs, limited to 3 maybe? But I'd keep it manned like any stationary gun emplacement instead of being a commander ability (I understood from your post you suggest a system akin to Red Orchestra series) SL could be the fire director.

I hope mortars will be working same way as in PR.

6 hours ago, farna said:

I hope mortars will be working same way as in PR.

Exactly

Im hoping and praying for some Elephant Rockets/Lob Bombs for Insurgents. They should be wildly in accurate, but pack a punch.

Mortars too of course, cant wait.

I'd be interested to see them as a crew operated kit, besides just an emplacement.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Hashashin said:

Im hoping and praying for some Elephant Rockets/Lob Bombs for Insurgents. They should be wildly in accurate, but pack a punch.

Mortars too of course, cant wait.

I'd be interested to see them as a crew operated kit, besides just an emplacement.

You talkin about those Syrian Hellfire mortars firing gas baloons filled with explosives?

Edited by Marijuanoz

yuuuup

I hope we get a ZU-23 mounted on a Technical soon too. With the new penetration it will be SICK 

On 3/29/2017 at 6:52 PM, Hashashin said:

yuuuup

I hope we get a ZU-23 mounted on a Technical soon too. With the new penetration it will be SICK 

Haha, yes! That is another thing that i thought about a lot.

On 3/27/2017 at 1:34 AM, Shovely Joe said:

mortars will be in the next large patch i believe, but actual field artillery im not sure we will ever see - it would be great no doubt, but a 100 something mm howitzers range doesnt really fit within the maps and would only be truly useful on the biggest of the maps, the american 155mm howitzers minimum range is 2.5 or something kilometers... so you would basically only be able to hit the enemy main on most maps if you setup just outside your own.

Pretty sure they are planning to expand some maps to 8 KM^2. A mere 2.5 KM is nothing on a map like that.