Usgu

How to report a bug

The closed pre-alpha is on, guys. The official email with your Commander keys provides the link to the following Bug report form - a Google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18F-BRzssPiospA_Ymq_iyLajBPlniHJeyx-kwRRJc50/viewform?c=0&w=1

Please report ALL bugs through that form, do not post them on the forum.

The form looks like this. Make sure you enter all the mandatory information, otherwise it will not let you submit. Please make a realistic and objective assessment of the actual severity of the bug.

uMBrDlN.jpg

You might ask, "Where can I find out about the build number?" Check the bottom, right-hand corner on the main screen of Squad. There you find the current build number. For example, we started into the first Commander weekend with build "dev-1566-4.8.0-SHIPPING". For the bug report it is enough to use the 4 digit number, for example 1566. The following weekends had the build numbers 1710 and 1776.

(click image to enlarge)

TGVKMau.jpg

After submission, you'll get the following confirmation.

k19hr1E.jpg

Suggestions are posted via another form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MF-2RWV67KgmyBbOpvLpjsTb8Xlj32d9Kd0SvZxD4uk/viewform?c=0&w=1

Please note, this applies for the closed pre-alpha. We will see what Offworld does when we get to the closed alpha.

Admins/moderators, please stick this thread.

------ old posts starts here - please ignore ------

Question: Once we are into the closed pre alpha, how should we report bugs to the devs?

Here my ideas, thoughts and questions:

• Just create a new thread in the "feedback" forum? I didn't see a bug tracking database or something anywhere around.
  • Should we spell the title in a specific way? I saw someone using stuff like "[bug][xxx]xxxx". I think we should do something like this.
  • However, it must be easy to search for all bugs in the forum with one search agreed term, hence the title should contain a search term we can actually search for. For example searching for "[bug]" or "Bug" does not work, so it's no good. Maybe something like "Bug_Report: xxxx" works better.
  • Also, we should put a useful description in the title, so it is easy to find threads that might have already reported the bug I wanted to report myself.
  • The title must include the build version of Squad. Bugs might be gone or only exist in certain builds, hence the version number is very important. It could be at the beginning of the title, like in the PR bug forum.
  • Will the devs (or moderators) provide a "known bug list" / Bug Index? (maybe in a locked and moderated thread in the forum?)
    • Such a list would be useful and serve as an index, so we don't report the same bugs over and over.
    • They could also put next to each line some sort of status to say if it is fixed already (and whether it will be available with the next build).
    • Maybe we can also put a link to the first thread that reported the bug, so guys can read up on the detailed description to check if it is the same bug they were about to report.
    • We should have unqiue numbers in front of every bug, like an unique identifier. Then it is easy to refer to a bug via its number. This number could just be an incremented number.
    • The bugs could also be grouped under sections in a logical way, so similar bugs are grouped together.
  • What essential information (besides a good description and maybe screenshots) should we provide? Is our system spec necessary/useful?
  • We could use a template for a new bug report post, like PR did (see here).
  • I think we need a sticky thread that explains how to report bugs, otherwise too many people do it in too many different and multiple ways (of course, we can't prevent that entirely (unless we use a database and enforce strict data entry).
  • What we also can do while playing (once we ARE playing): chat to one of the devs ingame via text chat, if they are on the same server. If they are even in your squad, talk directly to them. Check with them if the bug you are seeing is new or not. If new, report it properly.

I think this is a really important question, otherwise it will create too much effort for us and the devs (we would waste time reporting bugs over and over again, in ways that is not helping to fix the bug).

If the devs can't do a bug index, maybe the moderators can. I think this would be really really helpful. I would also volunteer for this job. Let the community help make this pre-alpha a sucess. Maybe we can even maintain this index as the main starting point for the devs to work systematically through the bugs?

By the way, if the devs and moderators need any other specific help during the pre-alpha, call out, we are ready to serve. Right, guys?

MikeDude pointed out how PR is doing it (thanks, mate). Check out the bug forum of PR here and the bug forum procedure here.

Has my question been covered elsewhere? I didn't find anything about it (Sir, yes, Sir, I did search for it in the forum). The forum rules don't say anything about bug reports either (maybe they should?).

Edit 16.07.15, 1st: If I now search for "bug_report", it finds my thread. Good.

Edit 16.07.15, 2nd: Refined some of my words and ideas.

Edit 17.07.15, 1st: Added ideas by MikeDude (post here) - thanks, mate.

Edit 17.07.15, 2nd: Check out what Lito said about bug tracking in a stream here.

Edit 24.07.15: Added the final and official info on how to report bugs in the OP.

Edit 28.07.15: Added screenshots of the Google forms and some hints on how to fill them out.

Edited by Usgu

I think it is a good idea but it will be up to the Devs to decide on this.  They may already have something planned and will let us know.

An issue tracker like mantis would certainly be nice but I can understand if they don't want the masses flooding into an advanced system like that.

I think an anonymus "E-form" to the developers would work . Posting bugs is bad advertizing , and it's JUST ASKING , the trolls to use them until repaired .

( Notice I didn't say "Goblins" ) :) Damn Trolls give everyone a Bad Name .

I think you got it the other way around. If the bug report forum section will be closed off to only backers, it shouldn't be a issue. And with proper guidelines and moderation we can make sure there is not a million of duplicated bugs.

If you make it a E-form or whatever, you're just gonna create tons and tons of duplicated ones. Plus if it is anonymous there is no way of moderating trolls and what not.

The QA people would keep an eye on the bug report section and forward those, which are legit.

The PR bug report section works this way. People make threads with bugs they encounter, and if they are legit and unknown the devs/cons/testers will add it to their bug tracker.

4,458 backers , so quite a few more keys than that , and people don't read now , how is that going to stop duplicate threads ? :P;)

Thats not exactly a "closed " forum

Edit : anonymous meaning only you and dev see it , Your name can still be on it , date etc

4,458 backers , so quite a few more keys than that , and people don't read now , how is that going to stop duplicate threads ? :P;)

Thats not exactly a "closed " forum

Because, moderation. Keeping work off dev's hands.

You can even make it that threads have to get accepted first, before getting posted.

And you have to keep in mind that out of the 4400 only 2500 will probably be ''active'' on the forums, and out of those 2500 probably only 1000 or less will even post bugs ''actively''. Obviously these are just ''loose'' numbers, but you get the point.

And it is a ''closed to public'' section. You had a good point with ''Posting bugs is bad advertising''  

If you have a bug section people can easily see which bugs have already been reported.

I think the developers have probably asked about ( or looked at ) other recent popular games and the pitfalls of each approach . But thats what ideas are for ... Sharing :)

edit : And if Moderation is the answer , This Forum Needs More Aggressive Moderation .....

I suggest lets wait to see if the notification for the ranger access will also give those lucky basards some instructions on how to report bugs. Rangers, please let us know if such hints are given and what they entail. If nothing will be said over the next one or two days, I'll PM the devs and ask what they had in mind (I am sure they have thought about it and made up their minds about bug reporting).

I think an anonymus "E-form" to the developers would work . Posting bugs is bad advertizing , and it's JUST ASKING , the trolls to use them until repaired .

( Notice I didn't say "Goblins" ) :) Damn Trolls give everyone a Bad Name .

In my mind bugs are entirely normal to any type of software - you can't develop software without bugs. I am all for an open and transparent policy. Hidding them is pointless anyways. Everybody will see them anyways (the backers in the games, the public in the streams). And it is 100 times better to already know a bug when you see it than not. Take the following example: the ragdoll effect. It's been in Squad early on, but everybody knew it. Instead of freaking out and shouting into the streams "what a shit game, they can't even fix simple things like these", they only said "hey, it's the ragdoll again, I heard it will be fixed soon". Now it's fixed (to my knowledge) and there was no big fuss over it.

And only be making them known can you prevent (I mean "reduce") duplicated reportings.

I think the developers have probably asked about ( or looked at ) other recent popular games and the pitfalls of each approach . But thats what ideas are for ... Sharing :)

edit : And if Moderation is the answer , This Forum Needs More Aggressive Moderation .....

Moderators have kicked into a higher gear already - no more slacking (check this out). We can also PM them to ask for actions, they will gladly help. They can't keep track of everything or have been desensitised by the trolls and idiots they had to deal with. :lol:

Moderators have kicked into a higher gear already - no more slacking (check this out). We can also PM them to ask for actions, they will gladly help. They can't keep track of everything or have been desensitised by the trolls and idiots they had to deal with. :lol:

Look again , ( He is Forum admin ) I said Moderators need to pick it up , only 2 people lock threads on here , MURay and IronTaxi , that I've seen ! But hey , just my opinion . :)

Look again , ( He is Forum admin ) I said Moderators need to pick it up , only 2 people lock threads on here , MURay and IronTaxi , that I've seen ! But hey , just my opinion . :)

What's the difference between Moderators and Forum admins?

Just watching crowphd's stream (link), Lito said about bug reporting the following:

• They are installing a tracking system through which bugs are reported (he mentioned something about Google Documents, but I didn't get it entirely what he meant)
  • The system will list/display the most common bugs to us.
  • The system is not yet ready right now but will be ready for the Commanders (July 25th) - the Rangers should enjoy their reward now and just play, it's only about 250 players anyways. Once the Commanders hit the battlefield next week, the real testing (and reporting) starts.

Edit: Of course, this all up for change and nothing is fixed and settled yet, I assume.

What's the difference between Moderators and Forum admins?

I make less.....

Primarily my role is to work on things pertaining to the forum software and hence what you see here on the front end.  I also parley with the devs on what or what not to present in the forums.  I will also monitor threads and posts watching for things that need to be addressed.  The Moderators are the front line soldiers, police if you like to view it that way.  They will put out fires as they see them as well as kicking asses if need be.  ;)  They also work with myself and the devs to come up with solutions to concerns.  

I make less.....

:D

Less of "what"? Seriouly.

Edit: Thanks for adding your reply to your previous post. Or I didn't see the text there in the first place. I was not aware of the difference. I still feel the difference is only minor and basically, when it comes to the community interaction, you do very similar things, although the moderators probably have more responsibility on that side (on the technical side it's your main responsiblity to look after the forum software - that is a clear differentiation).