Jump to content
PROTOCOL

Radio Ear Assignment (w/Priority Channel auto reduction)

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Ceceli said:

Although this is a good idea, I don't think it would work. You would have different voices in each ear at the same time. The ONLY game I saw this function perfectly was SOCOM Confrontation on PS3.

 

You had the sound of the game and local voice chat coming out from you stereo TV. For radio, you had something like a Motorola headset H800. Now that was perfection. And that wouldn't ever work in SQUAD because we don't play in TVs.

You may have missed the auto-reduction by priority part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

You may have missed the auto-reduction by priority part. 

I didn't. I just thought it would be another thing to criticize and I felt like not addressing this issue as well. Auto sound reduction would be a complete mess. I don't even have to speak against it 'cause I just know devs would never pay attention to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ceceli said:

I didn't. I just thought it would be another thing to criticize and I felt like not addressing this issue as well. Auto sound reduction would be a complete mess. I don't even have to speak against it 'cause I just know devs would never pay attention to it.

Fair opinion, however experience shows that it works rather well, when done right. I'm not sure what your full experience is in this space, but comparing what has been done on PC platform vs "legacy PS3", is not comparable imo (such limitation within PS3). I'm confident that if the devs were to entertain the concept, they would only implement if they could pull it off. I'm also aware that the dev of the platform that actually does this well has reached out to them and offered his services. My hope, as with those that want the game to be successful, would like to see this type of collaboration among developers from different sub-specialties, to bring about a complete experience. 

 

Sometimes, instead of just saying things will never work without trying gets you no where. Most would rather be part of the solution by offering how it could be made better, even when they don't agree. Often we end up with a better solution by comparing views/approach. What's yours? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 4:33 PM, fuzzhead said:

+1 great idea

 

ACRE for Arma had some customizable ability like this.

 

Though I don't like reducing the proximity based VOIP volume.... to me that is not what is a problem, its the squad based comms that gets too much. proximity is good because as long as everyone is not sitting 3 feet from you, it is self regulating on volume, because you can walk over to somewhere a little quieter if for some reason you are surrounded by a bunch of chatty soldiers.

Good point on the local proximity reduction, I agree. Good catch, thanks for feedback! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An overall VOIP upgrade is something we would like to do, but other priorities are taking up our time at the moment.

 

We do hope that we will get an opportunity to make improvements before 1.0.

 

Either way, thanks for the feedback and it is on our radar. (Actually technical documentation related to this, just need to get around to doing it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SgtRoss said:

An overall VOIP upgrade is something we would like to do, but other priorities are taking up our time at the moment.

 

We do hope that we will get an opportunity to make improvements before 1.0.

 

Either way, thanks for the feedback and it is on our radar. (Actually technical documentation related to this, just need to get around to doing it)

That's awesome news, thanks for the official confirmation! Squad has come a long way and is rounding out nicely.

Edited by PROTOCOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from Arma 3, where ACRE and TFR use is abundant, this kind of radio set up is pretty much essential. We always did left ear = squad comms, right ear = command comms. As much as I dislike the Arma playerbase coming to Squad and requesting useless features from that game which just add bloat and an unneeded learning curve, this one seems simple enough to understand and can be done entirely through the options menu (where it's optional), without adding more keybinds to learn. I don't want Squad to devolve into ACRE/TFR territory where every match has a 10 minute preamble where every squad has to set up their custom radio frequencies, make sure they're working, explain to the 3 new guys how it all works, etc.


It takes about 2 minutes of getting used to but after that you really can't go back. Being able to instantly know, without knowing the voice or having to glance around the screen for an icon, whether or not a message is at the command- or squad-level is impossible to live without.

 

To be honest, I don't even think the auto-mute is necessary. Local comms are usually quiet enough and self-regulate with distance. Squads can just be told to hold comms if they lack radio discipline, but to be honest, after a little while of playing with the left/right ear channels seperate, you learn to automatically prioritise traffic on the right ear anyway.

Edited by Kerri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2018 at 10:13 AM, PROTOCOL said:

Fair opinion, however experience shows that it works rather well, when done right. I'm not sure what your full experience is in this space, but comparing what has been done on PC platform vs "legacy PS3", is not comparable imo (such limitation within PS3). I'm confident that if the devs were to entertain the concept, they would only implement if they could pull it off. I'm also aware that the dev of the platform that actually does this well has reached out to them and offered his services. My hope, as with those that want the game to be successful, would like to see this type of collaboration among developers from different sub-specialties, to bring about a complete experience. 

 

Sometimes, instead of just saying things will never work without trying gets you no where. Most would rather be part of the solution by offering how it could be made better, even when they don't agree. Often we end up with a better solution by comparing views/approach. What's yours? 

Mine is on my topic that you didn't bother to read but rather just copy pasted the link of this post there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ceceli said:

Mine is on my topic that you didn't bother to read but rather just copy pasted the link of this post there.

I read, but added to, without attempting to attack your view. No worries man, it's a just a forum post. Besides, I got an official response from the Dev above that what i mentioned is in the works. Have a good day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

I read, but added to, without attempting to attack your view. No worries man, it's a just a forum post. Besides, I got an official response from the Dev above that what i mentioned is in the works. Have a good day.

I did not attack you. I stated my opinion and you still wanted my opinion on the other issue of your post that I tried to refrain myself from further commenting on it since I guessed you'd might not like the whole truth. Your last comment proved me right when you clearly thought that I was attacking you, thus being on the deffensive and then gloating about getting validation from the devs. But anyway, congrats I guess. Huge achievement. And be careful with what you wish for next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Resolved. Confirmation from Dev team what is in the works. Excellent progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×