zelatur

Make the game a little bit less hardcore

46 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, SniPer0791 said:

I don't know man, lately I have been playing without using a mic at all. Mainly because of me working nights and people sleeping. I have not been kicked out of a single squad yet. It is a little harder to play, but I type in chat a lot, and simple up and down or side to side gestures with the mouse is an effective way of communicating, albeit really cryptic.

Often (not saying necessarily in this case) a user leaves out inconvenient details in their posts, and as such we can imagine that the OP was not kicked solely for not having a microphone, but his actions within the squad. If you (the OP) are a proponent for a more casual experience, I am guessing you may be one of those guys who grabs his scoped rifle or marksman kit and tries to go "snipe some bitchez", which combined with not having a mic, will be an instant kick from pretty much every SL that I know. 

I would like to think the above is not the case, because the OP states that he played PR, but I guess there were people like that in PR as well, so who knows. Basically, the easiest way to get a more casual squad experience is to mod it once we pass the beta phase ;)

You can find that casual experience on a server running Jensens Range - Base Mode if you just wanna "snipe some bitchez". Good place for practice and to drop in/drop out if you don't have enough time to commit to a full round.

Battlefield is not a bad game ? BF2 i think its still my favourite it didnt had health regen, 3d spotting.. then Bad Company 2 started all this BF-CoD mix type of game. BF3 wasnt soo bad, but i just played it for fun with a friend.. Also if not Battlefield game maybe we would never see Project reality? Squad? 

I was hoping maybe some moderator or dev could say something here but i think they dont really have time for this kind of stuff or maybe they agree with all of you here and thats why they dont say anything.. So i guess thats the direction of the game, thats ok. Im gonna still play it from time to time, check updates i still believe that it will become a bit more easier to play, more accessible for every type player.. Because i believe that devs wanna game to be succesful as much as possible, and to do that they will have to do some changes. ;) 

On 3/21/2017 at 11:42 PM, zelatur said:

Im not saying "make the game less realistic", by "hardcore" i mean those details that make the game a bit hard to play and enjoy:

-like vehicle claiming, i didnt have a chance to use anything yet, maybe 50cal for a few minutes, people rushing for it and can use it for a whole round, there must be a better way to do it, everyone should have a chance to use every vehicle. 

-2 people to operate armed vehicle - driving is a bit boring, gunner have all the "fun", i know its realistic...

-mic requirement ?? im sorry dont shoot me but i dont use mic too much, im just "trying" to play the game but quite a lot i get into situations where i get kicked ouf of squad and left  on the middle of nowhere with ak and 2 mags...

-fobs/ respawns - maybe fully capped flags could have some respawns so we wouldnt have to run from main base? sometimes SL dont really do fobs so much, they just use rally points instead and there is no choice and we have to go for main base or wait for someone to place a fob..

Is the game targeting only hardcore players? If yes then ok i wll gtfo asap.. At the end i will just come up with some numbers.. i will "try" to campare Squad to CSGO, pls dont ban me i know these are different games, but both are shooters... 

The only thing i agree with you on is vehicle claiming, sometimes i can find myself with my squad dead and a vehicle available close by , try to get in only to not be able to and get shot and i couldn't save the vehicle either. 

About mics and fobs, its the core of the game, play project reality mod for battlefield 2 to see what squad is trying to become. 

I do think there are some decisions that devs have made to make the game more accessible to casuals so they could attract more players i don't agree with it but it's their game. This is why gameplay and teamwork of Project Reality is still to be matched in Squad.

By the default Squad is meant for hardcore players who don't mind defending one single fob for an hour in order for their team to succeed. So yes squad is made for only hardcore players with long attention spans and a lot of patience . Comparing CS with Squad is like comparing Halo Wars with C&C Generals or Stellaris. 

There were servers in PR in which if you didn't get in a squad in 5 minutes after joining, you would be kicked, i wish this rule was enforced on every server in Squad. 

You walk from your main and die and have to walk back, only if you are if you have an idiot or new player squad leader who doesn't use his brain and place rally points and fobs at crucial time and place, this can be fixed by not allowing anyone with less than 100 hours in game to become a squad leader, it's tough, but the quality of matches would be waaay better.

You came to the wrong neighborhood pal! :D

Seriously though, it it exactly these features you complain about that sets Squad apart from the thousands of other FPSs out there.

Regarding the learning curve, there could be other ways to make it easier, by means of tutorials, in game hints and tips, a training camp and so on. That way players can learn Squad features faster.

But changing the game just to cope with the masses would actually be the death of the project. It might actually bring tons of casual players and make it sell more, but it would kill the original intents of the devs and frustrate thousands of more hardcore players who want something not as casual as BF but not as hardcore as ARMA.

Personally I am looking forward to Squad getting more hardcore in the base game, then having a "hardcore" mode that is entirely server configuration to pre-defined hardcore mode settings. I am hoping the community grows big enough that a hardcore mode is feasible. 

I thnik the progression from v7 to v9 and the direction that is establishing for Squad is superb. I do not think it's the right game for you given the nature of your feature requests. 

egg

Posted (edited)

Personally I recommend just getting a mic. Even a shitty one.
After that find a server that you enjoy playing on - ie the people, the regulars.
Once you get the game under your skin a bit, maybe try one of the regular events, like SquadOps. Guaranteed to have a good time.
But yeah, mic is one the of the more important things in Squad, ESPECIALLY when learning it!

EDIT: I imagine vehicle claiming will be made more organic in the future, but for now it still seems to be a viable way to prevent mass griefing.
Although, I did play a few games during the V9 testing which sometimes had vehicle claiming off and it was really good and much more fluid and actually worked even though it was basically a pub game.

Edited by Peerun

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Peerun said:

Personally I recommend just getting a mic. Even a shitty one.
After that find a server that you enjoy playing on - ie the people, the regulars.
Once you get the game under your skin a bit, maybe try one of the regular events, like SquadOps. Guaranteed to have a good time.
But yeah, mic is one the of the more important things in Squad, ESPECIALLY when learning it!

EDIT: I imagine vehicle claiming will be made more organic in the future, but for now it still seems to be a viable way to prevent mass griefing.
Although, I did play a few games during the V9 testing which sometimes had vehicle claiming off and it was really good and much more fluid and actually worked even though it was basically a pub game.

The problem with some of the V9 testing is you get the more dedicated player base, and they know how to play the game better. This leads to them not stealing or griefing with vehicles. I think a normal pub game with claiming off might be a disaster, based on seeing how much people love to take the bikes and drive off to bumble**** nowhere, away from the squad. I'm sure they'll find a happy medium one way or another.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

9 minutes ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

The problem with some of the V9 testing is you get the more dedicated player base, and they know how to play the game better. This leads to them not stealing or griefing with vehicles. I think a normal pub game with claiming off might be a disaster, based on seeing how much people love to take the bikes and drive off to bumble**** nowhere, away from the squad. I'm sure they'll find a happy medium one way or another.

Yeah definitely.

Player without mic, jez... Might as well equip the enemy team fully with BTR-82A

On 21/03/2017 at 11:42 PM, zelatur said:

Im not saying "make the game less realistic", by "hardcore" i mean those details that make the game a bit hard to play and enjoy:

-like vehicle claiming, i didnt have a chance to use anything yet, maybe 50cal for a few minutes, people rushing for it and can use it for a whole round, there must be a better way to do it, everyone should have a chance to use every vehicle. 

-2 people to operate armed vehicle - driving is a bit boring, gunner have all the "fun", i know its realistic...

-mic requirement ?? im sorry dont shoot me but i dont use mic too much, im just "trying" to play the game but quite a lot i get into situations where i get kicked ouf of squad and left  on the middle of nowhere with ak and 2 mags...

-fobs/ respawns - maybe fully capped flags could have some respawns so we wouldnt have to run from main base? sometimes SL dont really do fobs so much, they just use rally points instead and there is no choice and we have to go for main base or wait for someone to place a fob..

For me the game is not really friendly i would say, i cant really do much,  i can join other squads and if im lucky im gonna take a rifle with a scope and thats it ;P I wish the game was a bit easier to play, where i could easily join in, grab a beer and just relax, have a good time, blow some shit up.. but **** me its just impossible ;p 

I can get TK because i dont have a mic, people can get really angry because of that, like "you should have a mic" "you need to have a mic to play this game" "do you have a mic?!?" crazy.. The mic is highly recommended i get it, but its not required, players without the mic shouldnt be punished for that... ak and 2 mags wtf bad joke. 

Is the game targeting only hardcore players? If yes then ok i wll gtfo asap.. At the end i will just come up with some numbers.. i will "try" to campare Squad to CSGO, pls dont ban me i know these are different games, but both are shooters... CS have been here for a years but its old shitty game now, very simple, easy to play, people can join in and relax, i dont play it btw i played cs1.6 alot for me css and csgo were a bit shitty... BUT i looked at steamcharts lately aaaand... after update for squad A9 there was over 3 000 people playing on weekend, highest peek.. for CSGO yesterday highest player peek was 650 000... on the weekend it was even higher.. the answer is simple: People dont really wanna run from mainbase for 15min and then get shot, they dont wanna ask someone for permisson to use a vehicle, they dont wanna run for 2 hours and get 3 kills... im sorry, i like the game i bought the Squad when it came out, i ****in love the effects, the game have power and a very big potential... but if its gonna stay hardcore then the game may bo not so much popular, and if the game will get more popular then more people will buy it, devs will get more money and it should speed up the development process, it means faster updates. 

My suggestion is keep the game realistic because thats the point of the game, but pls dont make it hard to use :)

While i agree with some of your points (and i'll detail), the fact that you don't have a mic is really annoying for other players.

The name of the game is "Squad" and not "Alone", you should have known before buying it that it's based on Project Reality, based on ArmA3 (or 2 can't remember, whatever).

Last thing i'll say before approving some of the things you're saying is you can ask for a refund because the game is still in Alpha.

So let's talk about the game being in Alpha. When you're talking about respawning problems due to a bad squad leader, and running for hours, i agree with you but the game isn't finished and it's hard to find a good way to spawn people without going Battlefield-like.

That said, i totally approve your following statements :

- When you get kicked from a squad and you're alive in-game you lose your equipment... i mean... wtf ? is it realistic in the first place ? and i understand the gameplay choice of changing a specific equipment when a player leaves a squad, maybe ok. But 2 mags, really ? I can't remember if you have even a single grenade or field dressings...

- Driving should be more fun (i mean realistic).

- The method for vehicle claiming has issues.

1 hour ago, WorstNoobEVER said:

While i agree with some of your points (and i'll detail), the fact that you don't have a mic is really annoying for other players.

The name of the game is "Squad" and not "Alone", you should have known before buying it that it's based on Project Reality, based on ArmA3 (or 2 can't remember, whatever).

Last thing i'll say before approving some of the things you're saying is you can ask for a refund because the game is still in Alpha.

So let's talk about the game being in Alpha. When you're talking about respawning problems due to a bad squad leader, and running for hours, i agree with you but the game isn't finished and it's hard to find a good way to spawn people without going Battlefield-like.

That said, i totally approve your following statements :

- When you get kicked from a squad and you're alive in-game you lose your equipment... i mean... wtf ? is it realistic in the first place ? and i understand the gameplay choice of changing a specific equipment when a player leaves a squad, maybe ok. But 2 mags, really ? I can't remember if you have even a single grenade or field dressings...

- Driving should be more fun (i mean realistic).

- The method for vehicle claiming has issues.

Project Reality is based on Battlefield 2. There was a PR mod for ArmA 2, but it was not nearly as successful and is no longer available on the the PR website. 

Battlefield 2 is based on Battlefield 1. This is a true statement.

8 hours ago, Peerun said:

Battlefield 2 is based on Battlefield 1. This is a true statement.

Nah, Battlefield 1 was based on Battlefield 4. How dumb is that.

Posted (edited)

Virtual reality is based on reality!  :)

Let the game become what the designers envisioned, if it changes over time then that is evolution of ideas and thoughts that go into designing games.

Edited by XRobinson

For those saying that i should get a mic, then maybe i should mention that i have one, sorry for confusion. And the thing is, english isnt my first language and i cant use mic all the time, sometimes i use it but lets say most of the time i cant.. maybe its because im tired after work, its too late or someone is around and im not comfortable with using mic, also in other language...

Probably you gonna say that i should play with people from the same country, yes thats true and im trying to do that, but i still cant use mic all the time. I know that some of you may have very good setup for the game and a lot of time to properly dig into it, but for example I dont really have that right now.

18 minutes ago, zelatur said:

For those saying that i should get a mic, then maybe i should mention that i have one, sorry for confusion. And the thing is, english isnt my first language and i cant use mic all the time, sometimes i use it but lets say most of the time i cant.. maybe its because im tired after work, its too late or someone is around and im not comfortable with using mic, also in other language...

Probably you gonna say that i should play with people from the same country, yes thats true and im trying to do that, but i still cant use mic all the time. I know that some of you may have very good setup for the game and a lot of time to properly dig into it, but for example I dont really have that right now.

That's hardly a reason to change the whole game.

On ‎21‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 11:42 PM, zelatur said:

+ Go Battlefield

+ Go Battlefield

+ Go Battlefield

+ Go Battlefield

For me the game is not really friendly i would say, i cant really do much,  i can join other squads and if im lucky im gonna take a rifle with a scope and thats it ;P I wish the game was a bit easier to play, where i could easily join in, grab a beer and just relax, have a good time, blow some shit up.. but **** me its just impossible ;p 

+ Go Battlefield

I can get TK because i dont have a mic, people can get really angry because of that, like "you should have a mic" "you need to have a mic to play this game" "do you have a mic?!?" crazy.. The mic is highly recommended i get it, but its not required, players without the mic shouldnt be punished for that... ak and 2 mags wtf bad joke. 

+ Go Battlefield

Is the game targeting only hardcore players? If yes then ok i wll gtfo asap.. At the end i will just come up with some numbers.. i will "try" to campare Squad to CSGO, pls dont ban me i know these are different games, but both are shooters... CS have been here for a years but its old shitty game now, very simple, easy to play, people can join in and relax, i dont play it btw i played cs1.6 alot for me css and csgo were a bit shitty... BUT i looked at steamcharts lately aaaand... after update for squad A9 there was over 3 000 people playing on weekend, highest peek.. for CSGO yesterday highest player peek was 650 000... on the weekend it was even higher.. the answer is simple: People dont really wanna run from mainbase for 15min and then get shot, they dont wanna ask someone for permisson to use a vehicle, they dont wanna run for 2 hours and get 3 kills... im sorry, i like the game i bought the Squad when it came out, i ****in love the effects, the game have power and a very big potential... but if its gonna stay hardcore then the game may bo not so much popular, and if the game will get more popular then more people will buy it, devs will get more money and it should speed up the development process, it means faster updates. 

+ Go Battlefield

I am honest. At first i thought this is a troll post, because you asked for every clichee that stands for Battlefield. Then i saw that you are replying to that Topic and i think you are serious.

All the things you named, are the heart of this game, it's not "get into a vehicle and kill all and don't care what Team does". And of course it's fun to gun, although the driving mechanics are not worked out yet. But someone has to drive and it's not your choice, it's SL choice which role a Player has.

Mic is neccessary in this game, but you already know that. That's the Point where this is really the wrong game for you. English is not my first language too, but i still prefer to speak english instead of german, just because i speak my 2nd language to learn it better. Sure you get kicked out of the squad pretty much without a mic, because it does not work well without having a mic.

Fob respawn is a core of this game, it's strategic for engaging from flanks. It's not hard to find a good working squad. Taking the kit you like is good, but there are times you are not needed to take marksman f.e. You can have very Relaxing moments in this game, as you are not all the time in the front. There are times for speaking to other People while defending, having fun etc. You just have to fit into your squad, if the whole squad-chain is working, the game is perfect.

Sadly you are a different Kind of Player and i think you will not have the satisfaction in this game. Squad is not targeting hardcore Players, it's targeting a rare Kind of Players; teamplayers. The fun about this game is not killing and owning an enemy.

The comparing about Player peek is very unrealistic. And even the amount of Players has to say something about how good a game is, Squad is a quite new, alpha-staged game. You Need Mainstream games, which are good for most the People. It's like listening to a genre of Music you don't like and try to manipulate a song instead of Change the genre.

I feel a bit sorry if this is hard to read and for my not perfect english.

Posted (edited)

TROLL 

But if you arent this might not be for you. This is a team oriented game. Meaning if your SL needs someone to drive a logistics truck back and forth from base some one should do it. If you are willing to split up from your squad just to be a gunner on another squad's vehicle that is not best for your team. Use a mic and ask if u can be gunner for your squad's claimed vehicles. I usually give it to whoever wants it if im SL same with driving. The community is friendly for the most part and will take turns alot of the times if u ask. Battlefield may be the game you are looking for. 

I think we should be more friendly toward players without mics but if most of my squad did not have them and I was SL i would kick people if no one communicated at all.

I agree running from main base really sucks but that only happens if your team is either irresponsible with their vehicles or..... yeah probably just irresponsible. Spawning on the objs would leave them so hard to take. FOBs and rally points you can find and destroy.

Edited by madcat768

42 minutes ago, madcat768 said:

Spawning on the objs would leave them so hard to take. FOBs and rally points you can find and destroy.

Not to mention it'd completely remove the sandbox aspect of spawning. FOBs and rallies you can choose to place in a certain area and that also affect(more than it seems) how the game is played. If spawns were static, it'd greatly reduce Squad's replayability.

I don't kick players for not using their mic, only for not working together.

If you get TKed for not having a mic, you need to report that player to your server admins. That is unacceptable. And if the admins don't do anything about it, find another server.

I enjoy the consequences of a team not placing FOBs, or placing them too close to hot areas and leaving the team without spawn points. You get what you sow.

I enjoy the vehicle mechanics.

If players don't want to run from the main base for 15 minutes and then get shot, then they need to set up a FOB and use cover more.

All those changes you suggest would make the game less enjoyable for me. I like being rewarded for playing strategically better than my enemy.

Edited by Cavazos