Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

APC Fire Support Tactics?

Today I tried to do how it's done in PR and create an APC squad, it was better than I thought but it still didn't go particularly well. What are some do's and don'ts when commanding an APC squad, driving, and gunning APC's?

Haven't played with it yet but I suppose coördination with other squads is paramount. Let the infantry move up while you stay in the back. Move forward when they tell you it's clear to do so, or when they need fire support. When providing fire support, stay as far back as you can and let your guns do the work for you while trying to hide as much of your vehicle as possible. Letting the friendly infantry be your screen is probably the best way to survive.

I have been creating mechanized infantry squads, as we don't really have heavy enough assets for dedicated armor squads. I have been squadleading from the drivers seat, and having infantry push up to deal with rpgs, while supporting their advance with the apc from a distance. So far this has been somewhat successful.

Edited by Engagedrook8

20 hours ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

What are some do's and don'ts when commanding an APC squad, driving, and gunning APC's?

Assuming you're working with infantry (since you should)...

Towns/compounds are a no-go zone, always.

You can skirt around the edges as long as you're extremely cautious but the streets are off limits. There are far too many places you can be shot from with a LAT or HAT kit and you'll spend so long looking for where it came from that you're going to be dead before you find him.

Speed is just as important as keeping your distance when fighting. You're the safest way to get a squad where they need to go. Speeding up to a point, dropping everyone off in one or two seconds and then speeding back to a safe distance is ideal. As soon as your engine is audible enemy AT kits are going to want to kill you as soon as they see you so you minimize how big of a window they get.

1 hour ago, Rybec said:

Assuming you're working with infantry (since you should)...

Towns/compounds are a no-go zone, always.

You can skirt around the edges as long as you're extremely cautious but the streets are off limits. There are far too many places you can be shot from with a LAT or HAT kit and you'll spend so long looking for where it came from that you're going to be dead before you find him.

Speed is just as important as keeping your distance when fighting. You're the safest way to get a squad where they need to go. Speeding up to a point, dropping everyone off in one or two seconds and then speeding back to a safe distance is ideal. As soon as your engine is audible enemy AT kits are going to want to kill you as soon as they see you so you minimize how big of a window they get.

Most helpful reply yet. Thanks.