Sign in to follow this  
YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

APC Fire Support Tactics?

Today I tried to do how it's done in PR and create an APC squad, it was better than I thought but it still didn't go particularly well. What are some do's and don'ts when commanding an APC squad, driving, and gunning APC's?

Haven't played with it yet but I suppose coördination with other squads is paramount. Let the infantry move up while you stay in the back. Move forward when they tell you it's clear to do so, or when they need fire support. When providing fire support, stay as far back as you can and let your guns do the work for you while trying to hide as much of your vehicle as possible. Letting the friendly infantry be your screen is probably the best way to survive.

I have been creating mechanized infantry squads, as we don't really have heavy enough assets for dedicated armor squads. I have been squadleading from the drivers seat, and having infantry push up to deal with rpgs, while supporting their advance with the apc from a distance. So far this has been somewhat successful.

Edited by Engagedrook8

20 hours ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

What are some do's and don'ts when commanding an APC squad, driving, and gunning APC's?

Assuming you're working with infantry (since you should)...

Towns/compounds are a no-go zone, always.

You can skirt around the edges as long as you're extremely cautious but the streets are off limits. There are far too many places you can be shot from with a LAT or HAT kit and you'll spend so long looking for where it came from that you're going to be dead before you find him.

Speed is just as important as keeping your distance when fighting. You're the safest way to get a squad where they need to go. Speeding up to a point, dropping everyone off in one or two seconds and then speeding back to a safe distance is ideal. As soon as your engine is audible enemy AT kits are going to want to kill you as soon as they see you so you minimize how big of a window they get.

1 hour ago, Rybec said:

You can skirt around the edges as long as you're extremely cautious but the streets are off limits. There are far too many places you can be shot from with a LAT or HAT kit and you'll spend so long looking for where it came from that you're going to be dead before you find him.

Speed is just as important as keeping your distance when fighting. You're the safest way to get a squad where they need to go. Speeding up to a point, dropping everyone off in one or two seconds and then speeding back to a safe distance is ideal. As soon as your engine is audible enemy AT kits are going to want to kill you as soon as they see you so you minimize how big of a window they get.

Most helpful reply yet. Thanks.

using hull down methods on over watch points work great for me.

hull down means hiding the body of a tank or apc while letting the turret or gun stay exposed. this allows the gun to fire but minimizes the area a enemy may hit.

so if you have a APC squad then as SL your number one function is comms. talk to your squad and other SLs. your your map and ask for grid cord from other SLs.

once you have a target you can look at the map and tell your apcs where to go to fire.

if you in a apc then your number one goal is to not blow up. that costs a large amount of tickets if you are using any of the new heavy IFVs.

use road in friendly territory, use hills for cover and to get a fire angle. as rybec said dont go in dense building areas. if you must then use speed and dont stop till your out.

the transportation of troops is one of the most helpful things you can do. when driving a squad just remember, you DO NOT have to stop to let them out.

then can deploy at full speed and not take damage. they will be stuck for a moment as they act like you just ran them over but if you just slow down and have them jump then your good.

i hope my experience helps.

agree with others .. dont take vehicles into towns or if you are then get squad either side of the street in advance  and couple beside it .. slow movement and clearing.. vehicles are support weapons not attack ....

keep them at a distance from all engagement and use them to supress and move.. remaining static just means they are easier to track down and kill.

try to keep hull down as mentioned ...

dont let one vehicle go alone... its just a recipe for disaster ...

if a big gun starts shooting your vehicle, start driving away but plan for a pee break :P

30mm russian vehicle seemed to kill our freshly repaired US APC in somewhere between 6 and 8 hits (booom noises). We were stationary shooting over our squads heads and it started firing from about 150m away, we were dead before we even spotted it even though it was around 45° off to our right.

Scary.

Although the push to take a fob on the flag succeeded with little other ticket loss. We took the flag once the fob was down.

On 3/21/2017 at 3:46 PM, Rybec said:

Thanks again. I tried another mechanized inf./fire support squad and we lasted way longer and had much more influence in the outcome. Saved a lotta lives.

some have seen me SL with consistent success in straight leg infantry and a combination of armor+inf(mechinf)

heres my opinions based on experience and thoughts

for this game, the most successful use is a combination of inf+armor 

you use the armor to either rush an OBJ to drop off inf and fall back for overwatch posture.

or use it as a flanking element after your inf has deployed on the assault/defensive role

for assaulting an OBJ, its good to allow more autonomous roles for a competent driver and gunner team.  the only thing you need to do is macro them into position.  

meanwhile it frees you up to focus on your squad on the ground, less multitasking and you wont get burnt out as fast.

same way with a defensive posture, you have them fall back while defending a hardpoint until you get assaulted from a known direction of enemy.  allow them to flank around and engage to harass, pull off pressure. 

also its good to have your armor/apc team be flexed into supporting other squads who are getting pinned down or needs transport.  

you never have your armor in a fixed position- they tend to die more due to abundance of LAT's in this game (a good thing) 

while deploying armor/heavy assets on the field, you should expect it to get destroyed either via player error or getting taken out by opposing players.

so ideally you should play with a mindset of keeping it alive and useful as long as possible.  

a few things to keep in mind- you should assume that the enemy always pays attention, if your armor is near, the enemy knows its near because they can hear it a mile away.  so if you manage to bring a heavy asset to the enemies rear, the driver should always cut the engine unless its being moved

in an urban environment with limited firing angles and a lot of hidden areas- its best to keep moving- run and gun(thats why i always build blockade positions on main roads to stop or slow them down)

in open maps, you should try to deploy them behind the friendly line element, allowing the inf to screen.  make sure they shift positions constantly

if flanking trojan style- you drive up to the furthest distance that is safe from enemy, set up a rally point, load back up, and Leroy into the enemies FOB and try to assault them with force (ive done this on several occasions with great success) mind you, the idea is to take them by surprise before they can deploy anti tank, dial down your armor location, and coordinate.

one of my tactics on the urban maps is to have a medic and a couple of guys sneak in, pop smoke along intersections and choke points near the OBJ, drive the armor right into position, deploy the rest of the squad, and assault through while tossing out more smoke.  sure its not perfect, but the AT gunner will have a harder time engaging my armor.

open maps, its good if you have your APC team able to shoot, scoot, and turn off engine sporadically. at new points so as to make it as hard as possible for enemy team to dial your armor down.

another thing to consider.... sometimes its good just to leave the armor alone entirely until you either destroy any opfor's armor or you need the flexibility of that asset on a defensive or offensive posture.

key thing is to have a competent driver and gunner and the SL not micro them, but to macro them.