El Duderino

Squad Server Installation On Linux

60 posts in this topic

Update: this installation manual may be outdated. Please check here for an up to date guide

http://squad.gamepedia.com/Server_Configuration

Hello guys,

finally - they are here: the Squad Linux Server Files - and they work just fine :)!

Here is a short installation manual for experienced linux users. A more detailed manual will be added later by @Nordic

The Squad Wiki will be also updated briefly.

Precondition: SteamCMD needs to be installed on your machine - see https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

1. create a folder for your squad server - e.g. "SquadServer"

2. open a terminal and change to your SteamCMD folder

3. create a text file and name it for e.g. "UpdateSquadServer.sh". Make the file executable    

chmod +x UpdateSquadServer.sh

4. open the file and add the command line for installing/updating your server. Example       

#!/bin/sh
./steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir ../SquadServer +app_update 403240 validate

(in this case the folder "SquadServer" is located within the same folder were "SteamCMD" is located.)

5. install your server by executing "UpdateSquadServer.sh"

./UpdateSquadServer.sh

6. configure your server (see http://squad.gamepedia.com/Server_Configuration)

7. within your server folder add another shell script (see 2.) and name it for e.g. "StartServer.sh". Make the file executable (see 2.)

8. open the file and add the command line for starting your server like this    

#!/bin/sh
./SquadServer.sh Port=7787 QueryPort=27165 FIXEDMAXPLAYERS=80 RANDOM=NONE -log

9. make sure you have opened the necessary ports (see http://squad.gamepedia.com/Server_Configuration "PORTS TO OPEN")

10. start the server by executing "StartServer.sh"

So far tested on

- CentOS 7

- Debian 8.7.1

- Suse 42.2 Leap

- Ubuntu 16.04

If you are using an older linux version than listed above, the server may not start. If this is the case, make sure "glibc 2.17" or higher and "GLIBCXX_3.4.15 " or higher are installed on your system.

Have Fun :)

@grimshadowhere a statement by @Norby who evaluated the performance values we gathered during comparison playtests:

The results don't give a clear enough picture to give a recommendation for either windows server or linux. Linux is a bit faster on network operations but slower on replication. So either one could be slighly better depending on what happens in the game at the time. But results are also slightly different depending on the system.

The lower replication performance (server tick rate) could be due to different CPU performance settings; we will do further investigations.  

Hello guys,

What server performance do you use to run Squad on Linux ? (CPU, RAM, ect)

Ty

6 minutes ago, Indo said:

Hello guys,

What server performance do you use to run Squad on Linux ? (CPU, RAM, ect)

Ty

It has been tested with the following machines: (80 player servers)

Intel 4770K 4.1 ghz
32 GB DDR3 1333 MHZ
450 MB/S RW SSD

Intel 6770K 4.5 ghz
32 GB DDR4 2400 mhz
550 MB/S RW SSD

4770K was passing barely. But then again that CPU should be run in 4.3-4.5 ghz and not 4.1, I just didn't have the time to overclock it before that playtest.

6700K passed with flying colors.

I hope this will soon be functional I can not wait to switch to Linux Server thanks and good luck ;)

Just now, Indo said:

I hope this will soon be functional I can not wait to switch to Linux Server thanks and good luck ;)

You can switch now if you want! :)

But performance is low no ?

No, not at all. As stated before, linux does some things better, windows does other things better. All in all is pretty much a wash between the two.

Ok thank's you i will be try =)

That came out of nowhere :)

Finally, thanks!

Please post us your experiences with your linux servers. Also if you had trouble during installation for some reason and you solved it by yourself, then please post it too with your solution (for e.g. installing on an not above listed linux distribution. 

If you like - post your linux squad server names.

Posted (edited)

will anyone be willing to help me out if and when I get stuck trying to set it up? never done this before, just have been watching some vids today on the process and I think I can get the hang of it but I am sure something will come up. Will prob be a few days tho and i'll be using ubuntu

Edited by grimshadow

6 hours ago, grimshadow said:

I hope @Nordicmakes a video detailing the steps :) for us plebs 

Good idea, will go nice with the newbie guide. I'll do that tonight.

@grimshadow Ubuntu server or workstation? The server comes without a X-server (desktop environment) by default. If you need help - you can call me too :)

@El Duderino yeah server. Been learning how to use Linux etc the last couple days, think I get the basic hang of it. Will be different and fun. Plus with this super helpful community shouldn't be to difficult :). 

Thanks btw :)

7 minutes ago, grimshadow said:

@El Duderino yeah server. Been learning how to use Linux etc the last couple days, think I get the basic hang of it. Will be different and fun. Plus with this super helpful community shouldn't be to difficult :). 

Thanks btw :)

When you are new to linux then I would recommend a distri with a desktop environment. If you have it running in a VM (VMware, virtualbox etc.) for getting in to it, then use either ubuntu desktop (another complete isntallation) or install the desktop environment for the server version of ubuntu. I would suggest to use "ubuntu 16.04.X desktop". The squad server runs also fine in the VM for installation tests etc. (not recommended for hosting a public game server permanently!).

For e.g when you have never used vi (or vim), it's hard to edit text/script files etc. within a terminal. On a linux desktop environment (gnome, kde, .. ) you have tools like in windows.

Posted (edited)

@El Duderinowe will see if i need a desktop, i get the hang of the terminal usage

Edited by grimshadow