Noxxid3

What do you guys think of the new sounds?

New sounds are awesome! Was most surprised by the vehicle sounds and distant and passing shots... adds depth!

Really good. Only bad thing about them right now is the contrast between the new and old, but I like how it's fleshing out.

1 hour ago, Peerun said:

Really good. Only bad thing about them right now is the contrast between the new and old, but I like how it's fleshing out.

What do you mean contrast?

1 hour ago, Pvt. Lewis said:

What do you mean contrast?

Well some sounds are still same from V8. Because I know which of them are new and which are old, it messes with my head to hear both.
For example, if I sudennly started writing like this, after writing like this up until now, you would be able to tell instantly.

Keep working hard on sound stuff bcuz it change the whole game for me.

Sound is the soul of any game on my point of view, that includes not only music but the variety that make me have an eargasm when I play.

The M4 sounds a bit muffled, like you'd hear on a range while wearing ear protection, but everything else is all good.

The sounds are absolutely perfect other than tracked vehicles can sound as if they are super close when in reality they are probably 200+m away. 

First I would like to say that the sounds in squad (even at this early stage in development) are the best I have hear in ANY game.  The sounds especially of explosions going off, and incoming bullets. The other day in a round, I shit you not I jumped in my seat and hand came off the mouse. Anders 10/10 mate!!  

7 minutes ago, anders said:

All for the immersivenessss. :) Thx!

Now Anders are you still going to give us more volumetric distance sounds that don't sound like clicks? Distance sounds should be more like pops. Like fire crackers in the distance. I know you understand. Everything else sounds great though!

Edited by Pvt. Lewis

only thing I would add to this is that I feel the vehicle sounds seem odd in terms of distance.. they sound a lot nearer than they appear either on the map or in the field.. which is creating some confusion ... I live near a military base and whilst trucks and support vehicles are loud the sound certainly doesnt carry as it seems to in Squad... ambient sounds were odd thing to add though at this point...  I can have trucks and infantry support vehicles go past my house and you will only hear them 150 metres or so away but not as loud as they seem in squad.

Is there anyway to have the guns sounds more like this when they are fired in the distance? Some of the distant sounds currently still sound like clicks rather than pops (fire crackers)  

Edited by Pvt. Lewis

7 hours ago, Pvt. Lewis said:

Is there anyway to have the guns sounds more like this when they are fired in the distance? Some of the distant sounds currently still sound like clicks rather than pops (fire crackers)  

Heh, from now on I'll call you Pvt.Pops. Actually I have no idea what youre talking about. What's a click sound? Like a button click?

Both of the two videos audio are not similar. The bottom one wouldnt be distant sounds to me.

Distant sounds to me are very far away. But we have 3 layers of gunfire per weapon in 3p. Close up, mid and far. I dont think theres anything off with those and I cant hear click noises. 

Record a vid and show me what you dont like. 

I don't usually focus on sounds very much but I also have to say I have been very impressed with the V9 sounds!

There is just one thing that bothers me every time and that is the vehicle-sounds cull distances seem very strange to me. 

There is sometimes a BTR/Stryker less than 200-300m away which I don't hear at all (it's moving) until it starts lighting up the squad. 

Is the vehicle sounds behaving strangely at distance a known thing, or am I imagining things?

I don't usually focus on sounds very much but I also have to say I have been very impressed with the V9 sounds!

There is just one thing that bothers me every time and that is the vehicle-sounds cull distances seem very strange to me. 

There is sometimes a BTR/Stryker less than 200-300m away which I don't hear at all (it's moving) until it starts lighting up the squad. 

Is the vehicle sounds behaving strangely at distance a known thing, or am I imagining things?

I have noticed that too.

2 hours ago, Psyrus said:

It seems really bad with the MTLBs, they seem to be extremely loud and can be heard from a mile away.

Other than that the sounds are practically unmatched, keep it up!

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

I have to say the sound in A9 is phenomenal! As a ground guy I'm in love with not only the report of weapons but the variation in both incoming sonic and subsonic rounds as well as the use of more prominent ricochet sounds. Really helps to inform the player he/she is under fire whether accurate or inaccurate. Hopefully in all seriousness sound designers for other shooters..(RS2) really take a look at how well done and balanced @anders produces and implements his sounds. Truly setting a bar not only for the future of SQUAD but also for titles looking to create immersive sound environments. Keep up the amazing work!!

edit: Anders MasterClass would be top for sound designers ;) 

Edited by Fandango831

9 hours ago, Fandango831 said:

edit: Anders MasterClass would be top for sound designers ;) 

Hahaha! That made my day! Thx dudes!! :)

One of the new sounds that I really appreciate is the sound of the wheels kicking up dirt as you drive down a dirt path; you can hear all the gravel that smacks into the wheel well and it sounds so good!

the two things I'm looking forward to most are skidding sounds (when the technical does a drift) and smoother blends between close/distant sounds. Keep up the awesome work!

On 2017-03-20 at 8:31 PM, Pvt. Lewis said:

Love the new bullet snaps and whizby sounds.. it very realistic. The weapons sound great as well, and I love what you are doing with the distant sounds. Anyone how knows realistic weapons know that they further you move away from a gun shot, the more it sounds like a pop, firecracker, popcorn in microwave type of sound.... and Squad is starting to really sound like that! Great work! 

P.s there is still an annoying distant sounds left from earlier version that sounds like a mere click and not like the new echoey 'pops'. I think it should be replaced. 

This comment is spot on. New sounds are great!!! So much better! Still some clicking going on occasionally though. Can you simply remove/refilter it?

I would like some hard ricochet sounds once in a while though. Like "pieieieieiennnng", something like that. That would be really cool as well. Don't have to be real ricochet calculations going in. Just sounds are enough.

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

The sounds are developing nicely.

One question towards @anders: Are there any plans regarding the sound changing in certain parts of the map? I mean, a bit more suppressed sounds when you're in the forest versus dry and reflective sounds in urban areas with building blocks?
I do like the distant echos that are there already, though seeing it being tweaked further to suit a few different environments a bit more. That would add some additional atmospheric icing on the cake.

3 hours ago, Scum said:

The sounds are developing nicely.

One question towards @anders: Are there any plans regarding the sound changing in certain parts of the map? I mean, a bit more suppressed sounds when you're in the forest versus dry and reflective sounds in urban areas with building blocks?
I do like the distant echos that are there already, though seeing it being tweaked further to suit a few different environments a bit more. That would add some additional atmospheric icing on the cake.

That plan has been there since atleast 1.5 year back. In our gang we call it "Dynamic Reflections". But it would be a system that combines more than one feature and that has been difficult to achieve over the server. Meaning buildings that also blocks out outside ambient sounds. It's easy when there's no inside environment, but all our levels have some sort of building/cave/ruin whatever.
We'll just have to wait for Epic to come with some solutions here then our programmers can start to work on it.