RipGroove

V9 Performance issues anyone? Or just me?

Just tried Gorodok again and saw the same 30-40fps, very choppy and laggy, completely unplayable.

And Yehorivka returns 30-50fps with only 20 people in the server.

Not good at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been getting very choppy performance for the first 10 mins of a round no matter what map on high pop servers. After that it settles down and usually plays ok for the rest of the round. Looking at MSI Afterburner stats it doesn't appear to be an issue at my end. Gpu usage drops to 1-2% and it's as if the game is waiting for something. Server??? The only settings change I've made from V8 is to have texture streaming off but I don't think that's related in this case.

I've been getting very choppy performance for the first 10 mins of a round no matter what map on high pop servers. After that it settles down and usually plays ok for the rest of the round. Looking at MSI Afterburner stats it doesn't appear to be an issue at my end. Gpu usage drops to 1-2% and it's as if the game is waiting for something. Server??? The only settings change I've made from V8 is to have texture streaming off but I don't think that's related in this case.

Hmm, I'll try and stay a bit longer next time then. Although I was in Gorodok for 20mins yesterday and performance just got worse as more people joined.

I have only played 3 maps of V9 but have been smooth as butter and not dropped below my set 71fps max limit so I am very happy so far.

There was alot of micro stutter and significant FPS drops (to mid 40's, I felt dirty) in the testing sessions for sure, we all suffered that but as far as I can see it has been sorted.

I play at 1440p, 1.25 resolution scale, shadows medium, view distance high, everything else off or low.

Make sure you guys have texture streaming ON not off. We're going to make some changes here as in retrospect, shouldve worded it differently, as most players just assume off = better perf, whereas in this case its defo the other way round.

Ill try and take a look at how the streaming is done too, i only have a 2bg card and it works ok for me, but yeah, would be nice to fix this stuff, as i dont think its the game being too heavy, but that we (or epic!) may have set something up wrong.

RipGroove, can you go ingame, open the console with the tilde key  (its the key to the left of one and above Tab) type stat unit, and then stat fps, and post a screenshot of that?

Ah ok, reading through again, yeah, a few people have mentioned fps drops while zooming on turrets. Im actually investigating this right now

Hi. I got fps drops too. I tested a little bit around. my usual setting is fullscreen, but my gpu goes sleeping then. so i changed to borderless and windowed and my gpu wakes up again. not fully to 99% as usual, but at least to about 80%. fullscreen mode only about 50%.

anti aliasing is also broken again

running on a i-5 4670K / 16GB RAM / GTX 1060 6GB

Edited by wesuperstar

First light gave me the best fps in v8 but now it's one of the choppiest maps for me. Anyone else get this?

On 3/21/2017 at 6:04 AM, Drav said:
-snip-

Yep will do, I won't be able to get back online until Saturday morning now though.

i reported earlier that I had huge lag problems (not actual ping issues) with the game stuttering and jumping or stalling.. I noticed that its use of memory had increased hugely since the update .. upto 7gigs of ram being used.. and cpu 97% (as I had 8 gig of ram)... over 1000 hours on the game and no such issues... so I added another 8gig of ram and it has completely solved the issue of the lag/stalling of the game....

33 minutes ago, wesuperstar said:

Hi. I got fps drops too. I tested a little bit around. my usual setting is fullscreen, but my gpu goes sleeping then. so i changed to borderless and windowed and my gpu wakes up again. not fully to 99% as usual, but at least to about 80%. fullscreen mode only about 50%.

anti aliasing is also broken again

running on a i-5 4670K / 16GB RAM / GTX 1060 6GB

ok i deleted the old squad configs and my gpu goes up to 99% again, but in borderless and windowed only. in fullscreen it still goes sleepy to ~50%

With texture streaming I found it's fine off, if you have the VRAM to handle it, if not turn it on.

I have 8GB VRAM and from memory it was using up to 6.5GB with it off, and around 3.5GB with it on.

i reported earlier that I had huge lag problems (not actual ping issues) with the game stuttering and jumping or stalling.. I noticed that its use of memory had increased hugely since the update .. upto 7gigs of ram being used.. and cpu 97% (as I had 8 gig of ram)... over 1000 hours on the game and no such issues... so I added another 8gig of ram and it has completely solved the issue of the lag/stalling of the game....

I have 16GB DDR4 3000MHz and I'm still suffering.

On 3/21/2017 at 6:04 AM, Drav said:

-snip-

On Saturday I'll replicate the very low frames in Gorodok and the rapidly decreasing frames when using a turret weapon in the firing with 'stat fps' and see what happens.

I think people need to start posting their system specs, when you say you're having FPS , stutter issues. Im starting to think this is an end user issue with settings to high for what your system can handle. I dont have the most top of the line rig, and run this game on max settings at 1080p and on the low end have a steady 40 FPS and at the highest 50 ish, with no stutter, or lag issues what so ever. Game play is quite enjoyable. even on maxed 80 man servers. if i lowered some setting i would easily get 60-70 FPS, but no need as i have no stutter issues or game play issues regarding FPS.

Im running a digital storm Vanquish with Intel I-5 4570, and an nVidia GTX 970 on Windows 10.  

x09KLVR.jpg

I think people need to start posting their system specs, when you say you're having FPS , stutter issues. Im starting to think this is an end user issue with settings to high for what your system can handle. I dont have the most top of the line rig, and run this game on max settings at 1080p and on the low end have a steady 40 FPS and at the highest 50 ish, with no stutter, or lag issues what so ever. Game play is quite enjoyable. even on maxed 80 man servers. if i lowered some setting i would easily get 60-70 FPS, but no need as i have no stutter issues or game play issues regarding FPS.

Im running a digital storm Vanquish with Intel I-5 4570, and an nVidia GTX 970 on Windows 10.  

x09KLVR.jpg

Brand new build, fresh install, fresh up to date drivers...

Win10

7700k at 4.9GHz

DDR4 3000MHz

980ti FTW

M.2

Etc etc etc

Ran V8.9 butter smooth at an absolute minimum of 70fps full server, smoke, heavy fire at 3440x1440 with everything on Epic (no AA, no SS).

The problem is V9...

I get the same frames on the new update but it definitely feels smoother. Some of the server side lag seems to be gone or something because it's not as choppy even though I get the same frames.

From memory I estimated there was a 10-20fps hit between V8 and V9 hit dependent on your system and settings etc. (putting aside the stutter and reducing fps/time issue that is certainly been dealt with for me).

Of course we got alot more going on re the game so it makes sense that it won't run at the same or better  FPS on release.

I am sure another major optimisation overhaul will be planned moving forward.

From memory I estimated there was a 10-20fps hit between V8 and V9 hit dependent on your system and settings etc. (putting aside the stutter and reducing fps/time issue that is certainly been dealt with for me).

Of course we got alot more going on re the game so it makes sense that it won't run at the same or better  FPS on release.

I am sure another major optimisation overhaul will be planned moving forward.

Totally agree but I personally have seen a drop of 40+fps at times where I used to see 70+fps in full servers and now see 30fps on several maps on servers with 20 people in. Also I used to max frames out in the firing range where now it's down to 70-80fps and as low as 60fps when firing turrets.

Something definitely is not right as this is much more of a performance hit than it should be, especially on a decent hardware spec.

5 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

Totally agree but I personally have seen a drop of 40+fps at times where I used to see 70+fps in full servers and now see 30fps on several maps on servers with 20 people in. Also I used to max frames out in the firing range where now it's down to 70-80fps and as low as 60fps when firing turrets.

watch out my last post. do the same and you will be happy again

3 hours ago, Drav said:

Make sure you guys have texture streaming ON not off. We're going to make some changes here as in retrospect, shouldve worded it differently, as most players just assume off = better perf, whereas in this case its defo the other way round.

@Drav Just played 2x rounds on full servers, Sumari & First Light, with Texture Streaming OFF and I have to admit the initial 10 mins of stuttering has gone for now.

i7 3770@4.5, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 780ti 4Gb, 2560x1080

All Epic, Shadows medium, Res Scale x1.5, game AA - off but using SMAA in ReShade

Sumari was 50-70% GPU usage @ 50 fps and First Light was 80-100% GPU @ 40-50 fps. Guess the GPU is working harder doing the SMAA on all them leaves.

watch out my last post. do the same and you will be happy again

I deleted everything and reinstalled Squad before updating to v9, made no difference.

you deleted thats good, but which mode you are running? fullscreen is broken for now. use borderless or windowed mode

Thats one thing I've not tried actually, good idea. I'll test out Borderless when I next play.

Looks like I need to buy more ram and a new GPU eventually. 16 GB of Ram and 4 GB of VRAM. I've got half of that in both respects..