Friesen

My wish for the next update devs please

Posted (edited)

The game is not finished yet and already looks quite great, but as we know sometimes what defines the greatness is the mechanics especially gunplay wise and not always the way it looks. So while the devs are going to rework the player character's animations and since the gunplay in SQUAD is sort of severly lacking compared to other games (IE with things like optics totally being overpowering) I dearly ask for the following please:

1. - Resting weapons over objects (this might be confirmed already) With this, we can increase the general sway for all the weapons when standing up position or right after running (except for prone and crouch) as it is too easy to run in the open and suddenly turn 180 and pick out the enemies already firing at you, just too many times this happened to me easily, and happens too often in this game.

2. - Suppression effect of a tiny jump to the sight for each bullet whizzing by your head. It just would be awesome even on the receiving end for immersion. It prolongs the firefights, and the standard iron-sighted riflemen then could effectively suppress enemy scoped riflemen. Scopes would have to seek for good positions to fire from and not being so overpowering as it's now where they can run in the open, suddenly stop in the middle of flying bullets and start picking out enemies one by one. No blur is ever going to stop returning accurate fire therefore a tiny jump is highly valued.

I only ask for these two and the game would be totally playable for me. Well maybe if only there was some better solution to the optics not having an entire screen zoomed in like perhaps having the outside the optic view blurred so it doesn't give you an unrealistic advantage.

Edited by Friesen

15 minutes ago, Friesen said:

Well maybe if only there was some better solution to the optics not having an entire screen zoomed in like perhaps having the outside the optic view blurred so it doesn't give you an unrealistic advantage.

To your latter point, maybe the outer-blur layover will come later. I do agree that the scope view is way too tight @ 90 POV. I personally play @ around 110, gives a more realistic view when ADS. The counter argument may be presented for longer range engagements rendering the scope almost useless, unless higher scope ranges above x4 are introduced later. As of now, I think it will be driven more by player preference and work- around in POV settings (with its trade-offs). All subjective of course.

Posted (edited)

I'm talking about a suppression effect, suppressive fire is a completely different term. Having no effect at all certainly does not represent the real life natural instinctive reaction to the bullet snaps. Meaning your aiming ability would certainly be affected to some degree compared to shooting without flying bullets passing by you. So I don't want this thread to be derailed by you any further by you trying to convince me that the gunplay mechanics should be as bleak as possible where the scoped riflemen totally ignore any oncoming fire onto them and can pick you out easily while standing in the open. I just wanted to leave this here and either the devs will decide to add it or not. Then I'll be either very happy and as many others who will find the benefit of it by finding the engagements way more interesting as well as more balanced in terms of optics vs iron-sights or I'll be sad. So don't derail the thread anymore pls trying to tell me how suppression effect is not needed when it clearly is needed because no mere blur in-game is going to stop me returning accurate fire.

Edited by Friesen

5 minutes ago, Friesen said:

I'm talking about a suppression effect, suppressive fire is a completely different term. Having no effect at all certainly does not represent the real life natural instinctive reaction to the bullet snaps. Meaning your aiming ability would certainly be affected to some degree compared to shooting without flying bullets passing by you. So I don't want this thread to be derailed by you any further by you trying to convince me that the gunplay mechanics should be as bleak as possible where the scoped riflemen totally ignore any oncoming fire onto them and can pick you out easily while standing in the open. I just wanted to leave this here and either devs will decide to add it or not. Then I'll be either very happy and as many others who will find the benefit of it by finding the engagements way more interesting as well as more balanced in terms of optics vs iron-sights or I'll be sad. So don't derail the thread anymore pls trying to tell me how suppression effect is not needed when it clearly is needed because no mere blur in-game is going to stop me returning accurate fire.

I agree word for word. Very nice point. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

To your latter point, maybe the outer-blur layover will come later. I do agree that the scope view is way too tight @ 90 POV. I personally play @ around 110, gives a more realistic view when ADS. The counter argument may be presented for longer range engagements rendering the scope almost useless, unless higher scope ranges above x4 are introduced later. As of now, I think it will be driven more by player preference and work- around in POV settings (with its trade-offs). All subjective of course.

The FOV of the optic is also another problem that gives an unfair advantage. Great post. My post wasn't directed at you it was to the poster above you.

Edited by Friesen

I like the idea of a physical reaction to near misses to simulate some flinching fear but it should be predictable so as not to adversely effect gameplay, lots of detail in my post linked above.

Automatically resting on a corner or on a low wall you're peeking over is something I consider very important. RO2 and Arma3 can show just how much of a convenience it can be while being 100% reasonable to have as a feature.

The only thing suppression has missing in the game is people's fear of being killed.

The actual reason is because you're shooting really close to them. Not shooting near them. You can suppress people in squad, just shoot at them if they're trying to peek a corner and if they're not dumb they'll back up or they'll get shot by you.

No, without any penalties for getting hit and jumping effect for whizzing bullets, scopes will have a ridiculous advantage over iron-sights to the point where shooting at a scoped rifleman is pointless. A scoped rifleman is going to ignore you shooting at him and will pick you out always sooner. With the jumping effect, the scoped riflemen would only be effective when hidden and unexposed since any bullets whizzed by would cause his aiming to be unsteady.

12 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

I think it'd be nice to be able to customize the FOV and the size of the gun separately. Maybe this will become possible, once they finish the work on the new first person camera that should come along with the animation system as far as I am aware.
I am not too hopeful, but maybe, just maybe the switch to not-true first person will also make PiP optics viable. IE, rendering the inside of the scope(w/ whatever its looking at) in the first person camera, rather than making it an independant system as it was in closed alpha. A man can dream.

3 hours ago, Friesen said:

No, without any penalties for getting hit and jumping effect for whizzing bullets, scopes will have a ridiculous advantage over iron-sights to the point where shooting at a scoped rifleman is pointless. A scoped rifleman is going to ignore you shooting at him and will pick you out always sooner. With the jumping effect, the scoped riflemen would only be effective when hidden and unexposed since any bullets whizzed by would cause his aiming to be unsteady.

You already get a jumping effect whenever your press the trigger, I don't see how having a separate supression recoil is going to make a difference.
It's not true that a scoped rifleman will always win. Actually, the person who spots the other person first usually wins, unless the other one is much better at aiming.
Spotting is really much more important in this game than aiming. It's not very hard to put the sight over a head, and it's very hard for a player to spot an enemy that saw him 5 seconds before he did, provided he doesn't want to get seen.
Also, imho, they should remove the zoom while focusing and instead offer FOV sliders separately for ADS and non-ADS. The zoom in is slow and only distracts you when aiming with ironsights.

Posted (edited)

No that's not true. You don't press the trigger when you're in the process of trying to aim at someone. You want to aim at a target and then press the trigger. Not pressing the trigger while trying to aim. Why would anyone want to deliberately start pressing a trigger while trying to aim at someone that doesn't make any sense.

I was running across the river and they spotted me first, as you can see it does not stop me returning accurate fire while in the open and picking them out enemies hiddden behind sandbags.

All it needs is this sort of tiny jump ->

Edited by Friesen

Posted (edited)

Return accurate fire is pretty hard when getting shot in Escape from tarkov.

giphy.gif

Edited by Maamyyra

Posted (edited)

^^^ If only SQUAD had some of these mechanics like exactly this kind of flinch from getting hit then there would be no more complaining about optics being so OP in SQUAD.

Edited by Friesen

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Maamyyra said:

Return accurate fire is pretty hard when getting shot in Escape from tarkov.

giphy.gif

EFT does so many things right, I am loving it at the moment. From September last year when i bought into it and now is a huge difference and all in the right direction.

I'd love to pick up the  EFT shooting mechanics and drop them into Squad, lots of other games too.

Whether you have gear to lose or not you really do fear incoming fire.

Edited by GonzoPR

On 19.3.2017 at 2:52 PM, Friesen said:

I'm talking about a suppression effect, suppressive fire is a completely different term. Having no effect at all certainly does not represent the real life natural instinctive reaction to the bullet snaps. Meaning your aiming ability would certainly be affected to some degree compared to shooting without flying bullets passing by you. So I don't want this thread to be derailed by you any further by you trying to convince me that the gunplay mechanics should be as bleak as possible where the scoped riflemen totally ignore any oncoming fire onto them and can pick you out easily while standing in the open. I just wanted to leave this here and either the devs will decide to add it or not. Then I'll be either very happy and as many others who will find the benefit of it by finding the engagements way more interesting as well as more balanced in terms of optics vs iron-sights or I'll be sad. So don't derail the thread anymore pls trying to tell me how suppression effect is not needed when it clearly is needed because no mere blur in-game is going to stop me returning accurate fire.

Did you even read the thread? There is a big discussion about supression effects like flinching, blurred vision etc. and why they should/n't add them

On 3/19/2017 at 8:15 AM, Friesen said:

The game is not finished yet and already looks quite great, but as we know sometimes what defines the greatness is the mechanics especially gunplay wise and not always the way it looks. So while the devs are going to rework the player character's animations and since the gunplay in SQUAD is sort of severly lacking compared to other games (IE with things like optics totally being overpowering) I dearly ask for the following please:

1. - Resting weapons over objects (this might be confirmed already) With this, we can increase the general sway for all the weapons when standing up position or right after running (except for prone and crouch) as it is too easy to run in the open and suddenly turn 180 and pick out the enemies already firing at you, just too many times this happened to me easily, and happens too often in this game.

2. - Suppression effect of a tiny jump to the sight for each bullet whizzing by your head. It just would be awesome even on the receiving end for immersion. It prolongs the firefights, and the standard iron-sighted riflemen then could effectively suppress enemy scoped riflemen. Scopes would have to seek for good positions to fire from and not being so overpowering as it's now where they can run in the open, suddenly stop in the middle of flying bullets and start picking out enemies one by one. No blur is ever going to stop returning accurate fire therefore a tiny jump is highly valued.

I only ask for these two and the game would be totally playable for me. Well maybe if only there was some better solution to the optics not having an entire screen zoomed in like perhaps having the outside the optic view blurred so it doesn't give you an unrealistic advantage.

I agree with this! The only thing I would add is also a slow down and stamina decrease when you are shot. There should be some penalty that affects accuracy and running when you are shot. Especially from a rifle.