Darthy

Locked squads for IFV

The only thing that worried me about this release is that there's no system for IFV claiming by a single IFV squad, will something in the future come for IFV/APC squads like in project reality ? 

Locked squads will come. They were hoping to get it in by v10, I think.

Personally I'd much rather not see bespoke APC/IFV squads ala PR, with people just cruising around like a scaled down tank. They should first and foremost be integrated into infantry squads, the clues in their titles. Hopefully the devs can come up with ways to make Armd/Mech/Motor inf squads work well.

5 hours ago, AnimalMother said:

Personally I'd much rather not see bespoke APC/IFV squads ala PR, with people just cruising around like a scaled down tank. They should first and foremost be integrated into infantry squads, the clues in their titles. Hopefully the devs can come up with ways to make Armd/Mech/Motor inf squads work well.

I really enjoy having an APC per squad, it allows for flexibility and a versatile  in-squad coordination 

Locked squads for troop carriers is garbage.

How am I supposed to be a motorized or mechanized squad when there's a couple guys who want to be a kill counter first and taxi last?

MBTs I completely understand but APC being its own thing in PR was one thing I really disliked.

If the devs get rid of the squad number limit (limited to 9 squads it would seem) then I'm totally fine with locked squads for assets like AA or mortars or the like, but if there is a continued insistence on the limit of the number of squads, I think it'll end up like pr where you have five of nine squads as half full asset squads, thus pushing the burden of full squads onto infantry squad leaders...

5 hours ago, Rybec said:

Locked squads for troop carriers is garbage.

How am I supposed to be a motorized or mechanized squad when there's a couple guys who want to be a kill counter first and taxi last?

MBTs I completely understand but APC being its own thing in PR was one thing I really disliked.

The problem with in pr was that most apcs filled a more ifv role, and if there was not one squad communicating to use them to full efficiency, the. The team would probably lose. Hopefully that changes in squad, but if it doesn't and mechanized infantry would be limited to stuff like mt-lb and striker, I would be fine with that.

dont like the idea of a squad for APC only .. but the issue at the moment is people just taking the vehicles as soon as the spawn... then losing them and costing the team tickets because they really dont give a shit about ticket loss or how to control the vehicle... I would like to see a lock on the no. of vehicles a squad can take based on previous losses or even though a vehicle spawns if you have prevouisly lost a vehicle then there is a countdown on when you can access it and gets longer the more vehicles you lose.  Means other squads who have not lost vehicles can get in and control it first.

I agree with OP. As the title said: "Locked squads for IFV".

IFV dont got much room for infantry inside it and I see no problem in locking a squad for only IFV drivers/gunners. The other squads should then use simple communication with IFV-squad for firesupport.

And I dont see a problem with locked APC-squads either. If someone needs a pickup​, communicate between squads and they will pick you up.

I don't find that Mech Inf squads make very good use of the assets, anyways. You generally don't get the best drivers/gunners out of a bunch of people who most likely joined your squad to play infantry. Separate squads can make independent devisions, service multiple squads, don't have to sit around waiting for the SL to tell them what to do, and don't have to reposition with a single squad, allowing them to operate in an area instead of wherever the squad is.

SLs generally have a hard time multi-tasking, so it should be kept to a minimum unless you know the driver/gunner is competent with the vehicle.

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Psyrus said:

If the devs get rid of the squad number limit (limited to 9 squads it would seem) then I'm totally fine with locked squads for assets like AA or mortars or the like, but if there is a continued insistence on the limit of the number of squads, I think it'll end up like pr where you have five of nine squads as half full asset squads, thus pushing the burden of full squads onto infantry squad leaders...

There is no squad limit currently: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/81468944269662140/180A3EB7F6A2184B7B7CEB237DD021B1990B224C/

Pretty sure that there were around 20 this game. There was a bug where nobody could join squads, only create.

Edited by Flat896

27 minutes ago, Tartantyco said:

I don't find that Mech Inf squads make very good use of the assets, anyways. You generally don't get the best drivers/gunners out of a bunch of people who most likely joined your squad to play infantry. Separate squads can make independent devisions, service multiple squads, don't have to sit around waiting for the SL to tell them what to do, and don't have to reposition with a single squad, allowing them to operate in an area instead of wherever the squad is.

SLs generally have a hard time multi-tasking, so it should be kept to a minimum unless you know the driver/gunner is competent with the vehicle.

+1

I squad lead quite often, and even with quite a bit of experience it is too easy to lose track of what your vehicles are doing while simultaneously managing infantry. 

Squad locks + claim system overhaul will drastically increase the quality of teamplay.

34 minutes ago, Tartantyco said:

I absolutely 100% agree with all of this. A SL who leads an inf squad wont be as focused on keeping his APC/IFV alive as as someone who made a squad just to man an APC/IFV is. He also wont be as likely to lend out his firesupport to other squads, even if they could use it more at that time.

And in the vast majority of a round a squad dosent need to be transportet anywhere, they can spawn on RP's or FOBs close to the fight 95% of the time. This results in light APCs (Mtlb with 7.62mm gun for example) that have nothing better to do than be front line IFVs since thats what their inf squad happens to be doing. And if that squad later loses its RP and needs a ride back to the front, then guess what? It lost its APC because they used it badly and now there arent any transport vehicles.

If a couple of APCs were instead crewed by a squad that focused on transporting others then 2 APCs per team would be enough to ensure that all squads could get a ride when and where they needed it.

i hope they add commander as well ASAP to regulate squads better , most of the times there is 0 coordination in the map resulting in a mess

There are good arguments going both ways, but I personally prefer integrating the transport into the infantry squad. I feel it's the more effective way once you have a crew that knows what it's doing. Delegating the IFV to a dedicated support squad has led to more delays and worse coordination between the elements compared to having SL give hands on information on the situation the infantry is facing at that specific moment. For example most of the time (granted limited time) I've been a dedicated support group, what mostly gets told by SL to the IFV is "Squad X needs help, go there!". Blunt and direct, but compared to "We got infantry coming on our right flank, can you shift focus to that region to halt their advance" it lacks the immediate effect of the crew knowing exactly what and where needs to happen. In latter the crew can react and reposition accordingly, and in the first the crew needs to locate the danger themselves since SL is busy managing other IFV trying to support other groups.

Granted the drawback is that it needs an IFV crew that doesn't need constant babysitting and the squad itself is slightly less effective with 2 men in a BTR for example, but the BTR if used properly can be a real force multiplier and imho it's a better alternative to the usual killfarming disguised as vague support given by a different squad dedicated to  vehicles.

Would absolutely love a commander role since squad to squad comms and mid-game planning is usually sub-par.