Peerun

A Big Problem A Big Solution

Posted (edited)

The Problem: Vehicles getting stuck on walls and other debris, when they shouldn't. The bottom of the vehicle becomes glued to the surface of the geometry and there is usually no way to get it off without getting out of the vehicle. Getting scratched by branches feels like hitting a wall.

The Solution: Add a wheel on the sides and the bottom of vehicles. This wheel would be invisible, you would basically only turn the area into a wheel. These wheels wouldn't have any kind of propulsion, they are passive. They would behave the same way as tracks on an MT-LB. Slide on things. That way, if you hit a wall with the side of your vehicle or you want to get over a log or a stump, provided you have enough speed you can just slide over it as if you had a tracked vehicle. But of course the difference to a tracked vehicle is that there is no propulsion, so once your wheels are off the ground you'll start to lose speed and so you can still get stuck, if you're not careful, but it'd get rid of the glue effect.
Although, things that do not give way easily like rocks, should not *activate* the sliding effect. Only things that crumble, like dirt walls, wood and fences.

Tell me what you think.
Is it a good solution? Is it even a problem?

Illustration
Meaj7zQ.png

Edited by Peerun

I dont think that your idea in specific as a solution to the problem is bad. I think though that if a crew wedges or gets a vehicle stuck, it should be that you messed up. Its stuck. Its useless. Gone. Drive better next time. But thats just me.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Rayman1230 said:

I dont think that your idea in specific as a solution to the problem is bad. I think though that if a crew wedges or gets a vehicle stuck, it should be that you messed up. Its stuck. Its useless. Gone. Drive better next time. But thats just me.

Yeah, definitely. My point is that there are times where it just doesn't make sense to get stuck. For example, today I got stuck with an MT-LB in a creek on Yehorivka. The MT-LB still had its tracks on the ground, but just because the terrain was touching it, it wouldn't move an inch.
That's what I mean by the glue effect and I think anyone who says it's a feature is a moron.
Again, for illustration2ApGK4Q.png

Blue circles was where the MT-LB was touching MUD, yet it wouldn't move.

To me this completely negates the point of n-wheel and tracked vehicles(or any vehicles tbh).

4 hours ago, wingman9 said:

Devs are adding nth wheel functionality.

See "Systems":

http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=147

See Announcements in Squad Discord. V9 playtesting is live and public, that's why I made this post.
I am literally posting feedback on the n-th wheel functionality that you mentioned, which is completely unfunctional in the above situation.

Edited by Peerun