Fridod

"Petition" to have pre-Alpha servers up during the week

As for why we aren't doing unnoffiical servers (yet): We don't have any code to prevent an out of date client from joining a server of a different build.  You get bounced back to the main menu without even a hint of why you failed to connect... something that's awful and really annoying for outside people to see.  

Due to the fact that we are going to be moving quickly during pre-alpha and likely releasing new builds to you guys every week... We really don't want the server list to grow stale with outdated builds.  

Just gonna quote this again so people who don't read backwards can see the response.

The community isnt stupid a way to work around the updated build issue is create a "Pre Alpha Access FAQ" heading or thread with issues and ways to fix.

One simple one could be "I cant join a server" the answer "update to latest build"

BAM! now you join the official / unofficial servers.

easy fix to get more servers up, if someone doesnt update their server and no ones joining its only their problem. If i was trying to join it and couldnt i would look at the FAQ and see "oh that server hasnt updated to the build im on"

Koschilein already pointed out that testers used to get paid not so long ago. I was among that lot on different games already.

Put it on your résumé and return to AAA titles please. An extremely controlled environment would be lost if they allowed community servers, along with the issues already mentioned about keeping the servers up-to-date. The dev team is small and will focus on the quality of the product with the resources at hand, not on your "I want my cake so I can eat it too" petition.

You realize that every stage following this will likely be open 24/7, right? You'll be able to game in your basement all day long.

The community isnt stupid

I'm gonna stop you right there and have you reexamine that premise.

People don't read the FAQ as it is and there's not even anything to play.

Can you imagine what's going to happen when their sole goal is just going to be to get on the server and play? There will no reading involved at all.

Also this whole concept right here.

The community isnt stupid a way to work around the updated build issue is create a "Pre Alpha Access FAQ" heading or thread with issues and ways to fix.

One simple one could be "I cant join a server" the answer "update to latest build"

BAM! now you join the official / unofficial servers.

easy fix to get more servers up, if someone doesnt update their server and no ones joining its only their problem. If i was trying to join it and couldnt i would look at the FAQ and see "oh that server hasnt updated to the build im on"

Might I ask why you'd hit the "Like This" button on a post I wrote, shooting this very notion down, when you say something in the complete opposite direction?

And seeing people's complete lack of basic reading comprehension around these forums, expecting them to read an FAQ just seems crazy. 

Put it on your résumé and return to AAA titles please. An extremely controlled environment would be lost if they allowed community servers, along with the issues already mentioned about keeping the servers up-to-date. The dev team is small and will focus on the quality of the product with the resources at hand, not on your "I want my cake so I can eat it too" petition.

You realize that every stage following this will likely be open 24/7, right? You'll be able to game in your basement all day long.

Yeah, I do like it, too; always reading just half of someone's post and answering to only that half, regardless of how much would be explained in the second half. It makes complete sense.

sarcasm-because-beating-the-crap-out-of-

Since people tend to not be productive anymore, I suggest mods close this thread now, thank you.

This ban on gifs is really busting my balls and also.... reeks of tyranny! 

Really kills the immersion.

couldn't resist

Guys, I recommend y'all take a step back instead of flaming each other.

As stated on page one multiple times by RoyAwesome and IronTaxi, there are several issues that come with 24/7 servers at the moment.

If it helps: You can still all join local on your own all the time and test out almost everything alone.

Edit: Local = Not online in any way. Just a test environment to run around and shoot on all maps etc...

As stated on page one multiple times by RoyAwesome and IronTaxi, there are several issues that come with 24/7 servers at the moment.

If it helps: You can still all join local all the time and test out almost everything on your own.

Wait a second, LAN support is in?

Does this mean Hamachi or other VPN programs may work for server hosting...?

If it helps: You can still all join local all the time and test out almost everything on your own.

Wait a second, LAN support is in?

Does this mean Hamachi or other VPN programs may work for server hosting...?

OMG, please say yes =]

lol, sorry you got me wrong. No, just a test environment, basically training mode, You can run all maps etc, it's not a online thing at all.
Just wanted to point out you can run a map and shoot and run around without a server being up.

Yeah, I do like it, too; always reading just half of someone's post and answering to only that half, regardless of how much would be explained in the second half. It makes complete sense.

sarcasm-because-beating-the-crap-out-of-

Since people tend to not be productive anymore, I suggest mods close this thread now, thank you.

dont-cry-be-strong.jpg

I have gotten over the announcement, makes sense and is what it is. What I don't understand ist ze ban on ze gifs? 

lol, sorry you got me wrong. No, just a test environment, basically training mode, You can run all maps etc, it's not a online thing at all.

Just wanted to point out you can run a map and shoot and run around without a server being up.

For those that Don't Understand . He just said " You can Run Around And Play With Yourself " , any time you want ! :)

I have gotten over the announcement, makes sense and is what it is. What I don't understand ist ze ban on ze gifs? 

How is this relevant to this thread? There is a own thread for the new guidlines...

Yeah having a community host Pre-alpha version of the game sounds like a terrible idea.  That would cause a whole new set of problems for the Devs.  There definitely would be problems, and the devs would have a hell of a time trying to track down if it's their code or the server they are running on.  Right now the devs need standardized testing.  They don't need their game out in the wild running on all sort of servers hardware.  I honestly find it kind of rude and tactless to petition for such a thing.  I know were all impatient to play squad, but come on.  Either way You either donated, backed or pre - purchased the game, at no point in any of that do we deserve anything.  Anyways can't wait to play squad!!!! Keep up the good work DEVS!!!

How is this relevant to this thread? There is a own thread for the new guidlines...

Take a chill pill, just having fun. First half was relevant btw and the thread you mentioned is locked. Tempers in this thread seem to be getting a little unhealthy. 

id be less pissed about the weekend only thing, if it was stated in the kickstarter that closed pre alpha access was limited only to the weekend.  

I'm not sure why people are so upset about this. I'm disappointed but after giving it some thought it makes sense.

First you don't want multiple builds of the game being hosted at the same time during testing which could happen if the community were able to host servers. You want all the data coming in to be tied to one build at a time. 

Also, it is reasonable to expect that the game will be getting new builds quickly during this period. They can do several in-house builds during the week and then settle on a build with features, fixes, and experiments they want to test for each weekend. This means that they can spend their time pushing towards features instead of trying to squash bugs in every build that gets released every day or so. 

It also means that they don't all have to be working full time right now. I don't know how their team structure works but I suspect most of them still have jobs. Instead of having to have everyone go full time in order to create full builds of everything every day they can do a weekly thing until it makes sense for everyone to leave their jobs. 

I'd love to jump in and play Squad every day too... just like everyone else. However, it is still PRE-Alpha... it isn't even feature complete let alone working... I don't think we're all going to want to play broken stuff every day. It would just burn us out from the game. 

Anyway, looking forward to playing it and giving whatever feedback I can to help the game progress towards release in the best way possible. 

Please let the devs do whats best for this game and delete this petition.

They know what they are doing and they are damn good at it!

Oora!

id be less pissed about the weekend only thing, if it was stated in the kickstarter that closed pre alpha access was limited only to the weekend.

It wasn't stated either way and Mango you are always pissed about something.

It wasn't stated either way and Mango you are always pissed about something.

if the pond wasnt so big, id skip rocks across it into the windows of your flat, m8.