MrOcto

Q: 1440p and RX 480 8GB - anyone?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for people who are playing Squad with a RX 480 8GB GPU, paired with an Intel i7 for instance (since I have a 6700k OC + 1060 6GB).

Asking about performance with the card at 1440p Epic settings, as I got a new Freesync 1440p monitor and am considering switching cards to make use of, but I don't want to switch if the RX 480 doesn't perform very well in Squad as does the 1060. I know it's a "side grade" but Freesync is a great thing :)

Thank you in advance! 

It'll be +-10% difference that you'll never notice anyway and FreeSync will make it seem so much smoother. It's a very nice upgrade.

You certainly won't achieve smooth fps on 1440p + epic settings with a RX480. It's a waste of money and not a nice upgrade at all.

Edited by carmikaze

1 hour ago, banOkay said:

It'll be +-10% difference that you'll never notice anyway and FreeSync will make it seem so much smoother. It's a very nice upgrade.

+ - 10% for double the resolution? Impossible. OP have in mind freesync monitors have minimum of 30-40fps for freesync to kick in, so if you can stay above that freesync will work. 

Hello, thanks for the replies so far. Well I'm running the game 1440p EPIC settings with AA on on my 6700k 4,6ghz gtx 1060 6GB 2115mhz and 16GB DDR4 3000 at around 80 fps average in Sumari 78 player servers for instance, I'm extremely happy with the performance I'm getting. I'm asking about the RX 480 because there are big differences between it and the 1060 in certain games, less or none in others, and I wonder if Squad is one of those games...

I do not dip under 45 fps on any 78/80 player map so I think I'll be OK with my Freesync range.

I'd really love to hear from people who run an RX 480 at 1440p and what kind of frames they're getting.

20 minutes ago, MilosV said:

+ - 10% for double the resolution? Impossible. OP have in mind freesync monitors have minimum of 30-40fps for freesync to kick in, so if you can stay above that freesync will work. 

I meant in comparison to the 1060.

4 hours ago, banOkay said:

I meant in comparison to the 1060.

Oh i'm an idiot i didn't even see that i was talking about resolution

Edited by MilosV

8 minutes ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

Might be relevant...

Hey, yeah I saw that, but it's not really relevant, since the 3GB 1060 has less cores than the 6GB I already own. I'm surprised that no one on the forum uses a rx 480 with 1440p monitor, but stranger things have happened :)

3 hours ago, MrOcto said:

Hey, yeah I saw that, but it's not really relevant, since the 3GB 1060 has less cores than the 6GB I already own. I'm surprised that no one on the forum uses a rx 480 with 1440p monitor, but stranger things have happened :)

If you adjust your resolution scaling to improvise 1440p you'll get the idea of what your fps will be like.

51 minutes ago, banOkay said:

If you adjust your resolution scaling to improvise 1440p you'll get the idea of what your fps will be like.

I think you didn't completely read my post correctly. I already own a 1440p freesync monitor and a gtx 1060, I am looking to switch to AMD for freesync support and am looking for people who use an RX 480 in Squad :)

On 3/17/2017 at 5:27 PM, carmikaze said:

You certainly won't achieve smooth fps on 1440p + epic settings with a RX480. It's a waste of money and not a nice upgrade at all.

Rubbish I use a dated AMD 290 and get decent frame rate @1440p more than playable and will only get better once the games CPU bottlenecks are ironed out. A RX480 is faster than my 290 and comes with improved DX11 Rendering and other Architecture benefits. 

20 hours ago, MrOcto said:

I think you didn't completely read my post correctly. I already own a 1440p freesync monitor and a gtx 1060, I am looking to switch to AMD for freesync support and am looking for people who use an RX 480 in Squad :)

Freesync is an excellent feature, it smooths out Frame rates and also removes screen tear. But its not GOD like that some people on the internet claim.

Like you hear people say Gsync/Freesync 30fps is like 60fps === LOAD of Rubbish 
or another one it will completely remove game stutter === Rubbish if a game drops its FPS hard no Sync tech can smooth that out.
If you ignore all the Bullcrap around the internet and understand what you buying into then Gsync/Freesync is one of the best buys a gamer can do, I rate it close to SSD in terms of benefits for the gamer.

2 hours ago, shankly1985 said:

Freesync is an excellent feature, it smooths out Frame rates and also removes screen tear. But its not GOD like that some people on the internet claim.

Like you hear people say Gsync/Freesync 30fps is like 60fps === LOAD of Rubbish 
or another one it will completely remove game stutter === Rubbish if a game drops its FPS hard no Sync tech can smooth that out.
If you ignore all the Bullcrap around the internet and understand what you buying into then Gsync/Freesync is one of the best buys a gamer can do, I rate it close to SSD in terms of benefits for the gamer.

No but he has an OC'd 6700k. That paired with 480x & freesync should fair quite well...

MrOcto,

I am running dual RX480 MSI 4G cards on an i5 6600k at 2580 x (something) on a 28" 4k Freesync monitor. I don't run with a FPS clock so I don't know the FPS, but it is nice and smooth.  I'm not even sure the 2nd card is firing up for Squad. I've got a lot to learn still. Nothing is overclocked, btw.

-

Pud

13 hours ago, pud_z said:

MrOcto,

I am running dual RX480 MSI 4G cards on an i5 6600k at 2580 x (something) on a 28" 4k Freesync monitor. I don't run with a FPS clock so I don't know the FPS, but it is nice and smooth.  I'm not even sure the 2nd card is firing up for Squad. I've got a lot to learn still. Nothing is overclocked, btw.

-

Pud

Hey Pud,

Could you do me a solid and test 2560x1440p EPIC settings (no Vsync or Freesync on) with Stat FPS command in-game, on lets say Fools Road 78/80 slot server?

Thanks a bunch! ;)