ReckingOrange

Are these specs good?

33 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, SlumLord said:

Nope bad. Don't waste your money.

Save up and get a manly i7-7700K, MSI Gaming (Or whatever) 1080ti, MSI Z270, and big ass Intel or Corsair SSD. Get a nice clean Corsair case like the 750D, a good Corsair RM or AX 750 PSU, get VERY fast Corsair RAM, lots of it. Get the best Corsair Cooler you can get.

n1s3p.jpg

Call BS all you want, it's a fact. I see it several times a day. We put like 10-20 boxes a week together, and test almost everything on BF4/BF1, and I see 5+FPS diffs all the time from one slower RAM system, to a fully built custom system's that we OC to the moon. ALL. THE. TIME. How is this not common knowledge nowadays? I guess when you are an industry insider, and have built several thousand system's, you make the mistake of assuming what counts for common knowledge sometimes. Still, you might not want to come on someone's thread talking trash, "calling them out", on something so damn obviousl and well known. When BF4 launched, I was seeing 10+ FPS differences, MIN. and man, was the frame timing, and other things so much smoother. 

I don't think the OP can afford it and/or is willing to spend this much. Which is completely fine. I don't think you need a top of the line PC to enjoy Squad and other games. That i5 7500 & rx480 will do nicely for him at 1080p. Although if he is in no rush, I'd wait to see what RX 580 will be like, performance and price wise.

6 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Thanks for the links, they were good to read (and listen to). I've done a reasonable amount of reading about memory latency, speed and amount with regard to gaming performance, and the vast majority had always concluded that the fps gains were negligible. Admittedly,I've been out of the pc building game for quite a while now, but it's fascinating to see what a difference it made to a few of those games.

It has piqued my interest because I've seen players with very decent cpus complaining of low ish fps but then other players with near identical systems getting significantly better performance... Could it be down to the ram?

You say that you do this for a living (system builder?)... Would you be able to benchmark squad (non scientifically since there is no benchmark tool) using the three most popular tiers of ram speeds? If you're not a hardware store owner then never mind, but I thought it would be cool to have a definitive answer on that one but I certainly don't have cash to burn to buy three sets. emoji28.png

I am head of sales at a PC store. I used to build systems but through chance  moved toward sales, but I still help out when we have bigger tenders to fill for our clients (government and larger firms which deal with video/3D/CAD design).

I have a 6700k and 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 at home in my personal rig, I can test it in Squad with 2133, 2400, 2666 and 3000mhz, although it's going to be a bit harder to be precise since Squad does not like Fraps very much. I'll try to post the results tomorrow as I'll have more time then to tinker with things.

Posted (edited)

3D2kbF1.jpg

These are the results of my short benchmark. Firing range (to remove the player variable) did the same walk with US LMG kit and fired 2 mags in the same direction. I think the rest is on the image.

Hope it helps :)

Edited by MrOcto

13 hours ago, MrOcto said:

These are the results of my short benchmark. Firing range (to remove the player variable) did the same walk with US LMG kit and fired 2 mags in the same direction. I think the rest is on the image.

That certainly does. Thank you for taking the time to put that together! That is a significant difference made by the RAM frequency. I learned a lot from this thread, much appreciated! I will be putting a build together in the next couple of months and while I was originally looking at 2133Mhz, I will definitely go for higher frequencies thanks to your testing. 

14 hours ago, MrOcto said:

3D2kbF1.jpg

top job!

21 hours ago, MrOcto said:

3D2kbF1.jpg

Thanks for this, very helpful.

21 hours ago, MrOcto said:

3D2kbF1.jpg

Yes this is great info. I wish I would've known this when I built my rig last year. I will upgrade though.

On 22/03/2017 at 4:48 PM, MrOcto said:

3D2kbF1.jpg

Thx for sharing info with us.