FishMan

"How we created fluidmeshes and clouds for Battlefield 1" By Andreas Glad

Very interesting, i had more fun watching this then playing battlefield 1.

Very interesting talk. I'd love to do something like that in a squad map when/if we ever get jets. Assuming the performance isn't too bad.

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Axton said:

Assuming the performance isn't too bad.

Well if I understand correct they build the whole level with just clouds, so I think that there is not much left for other things.

I mean if you planing to make a good level with buildings, trees, grass or whatever it will not be possible to add clouds as well, cause they are pretty prefromance heavy, cause they are transparent. And by transparent I mean alpha blended - this mean one of the most perfomance heavy materials that you can use, it even worse than alpha tested materials which allready killng perfomance really strong.

So my guess is when you building a level with just clouds and all the rest that you put in there (like ground, forests and etc) is pretty simple like a background - it will work, but when everyting on the ground has the same amout of detail - I think it wouldn't work. Especially on Unreal which seems like have a pretty strong problems with transperency overdraw. And here is the good thread about this issue.

Edited by FishMan

5 hours ago, FishMan said:

Well if I understand correct they build the whole level with just clouds, so I think that there is not much left for other things.

I mean if you planing to make a good level with buildings, trees, grass or whatever it will not be possible to add clouds as well, cause they are pretty prefromance heavy, cause they are transparent. And by transparent I mean alpha blended - this mean one of the most perfomance heavy materials that you can use, it even worse than alpha tested materials which allready killng perfomance really strong.

So my guess is when you building a level with just clouds and all the rest that you put in there (like ground, forests and etc) is pretty simple like a background - it will work, but when everyting on the ground has the same amout of detail - I think it wouldn't work. Especially on Unreal which seems like have a pretty strong problems with transperency overdraw. And here is the good thread about this issue.

Those were my thoughts as well, but I think something similar may be doable using particle LODs. 

this is why they're game had good quality, cause it looks like they had some good coders and developers working on it.