Socrates

What's your Opinion about this Usage of Vehicles?

Fine by me since it's using the available assets in game to their advantage. This is the game now, this isn't the game most likely after V9 drops. I only see this being successful when the team doing this is already steamrolling, if you're not, you'll probably cost your team a bunch of tickets and time, so feel free to try. 

Posted (edited)

Fine for a CROWS but not so much for an exposed .50

Edited by Fir3w411

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LugNut said:

I only see this being successful when the team doing this is already steamrolling, if you're not, you'll probably cost your team a bunch of tickets and time, so feel free to try. 

Why would it only be useful while steamrolling?

Edited by carmikaze

Posted (edited)

It is a stupid tactic. Ok game is EA so I accept it. But it is such a game logic thing to do. I can park next to a repair station (or even better more) and then I get instant repairs when taking dmg. 

With v9 ins and Militia also gets vehicles where gunner isn't exposed so it will better. But before I found it a little OP. US and Rus already has the better weapons and then they can use this bullshit tactic for even more streamrolling ins/mil. 

Really think the should add a timer. Vehicles can be repaired if it fired weapons or got dmg within the last 30 sec. And repair stations shouldn't stack. 

Edited by Romby

I like hulling down as a viable tactic in game as it is in real life but agree that the repair stations need to be tweaked as to not make the vehicles unrealistically resistant to damage.

That being said, I have had situations where BTRs were hulled down with two repair stations but we were able to destroy them with coordination, but that isn't a defense for the cheesy tactic.

Yesterday we simply destroy enemy vehicle near repair station. Itrepair pretty slow.

But why team which do that steam roll ? Because if team is able create this it provide that there is enought inteligence to create good team coordination and therefor win. This is prove of inteligent. Nothing more. There are more signs that players are not dumb and play better way. Simple like that.

9 hours ago, carmikaze said:

Why would it only be useful while steamrolling?

I said it would only be successful while steamrolling. IME, this usually happens when one squad takes it upon themselves to do it, which means they are entirely out of the fight while they travel across the map to a preferred location, drop a fob, supply it, place and shovel up the repair station and defenses. In the meantime, the fight is still raging on the caps, leaving your team one squad short which is usually enough to cause you to lose caps and ground with the fight either passing you by or an enemy squad running up and wrecking you as your guys are all shoveling. In both cases, your perfect firing position is now useless. If you are steamrolling however, you can pin the enemy in their end of the map giving you the necessary time and assurance that the fighting will still be on that cap once you have everything in place. This is the only instance where I've seen hull down defenses actually being used successfully. The game is too fast moving and fluid in most instances to make it worthwhile. 

If defending ever becomes a successful meta, then I could see this being used more often with greater effect, right now, if you're not rushing and gaining ground, you're losing. Spending your limited player resources building defenses that you immediately abandon while attacking only weakens your attack. I hope that changes in the future tbh, I find the current meta becoming tedious. 

Posted (edited)

I always try to make some sort of hull down positions, but i agree that Repair stations need some nerfing. Yes they are limited to 2/per FOB after V9, but it still won't remove the problem that they will repair faster than the enemy can damage the vehicle.  It could have some sort of cooldown after taking fire to starting to repair but resupplying ammo should stay where it is.

Edited by Maamyyra

It would make sense if repair stations couldn't repair whilst a vehicle was under attack. They're not mean to be used at the front lines as that risks experienced personal who keep the vehicles running, when not in combat.

Also, I'm fine with this tactic. Like someone above said, this takes a squad or two and two vehicles out of the fight until this position is set up. And if they lose the position and both vehicles? It's a major hit to their own team for not much gain.

Wald

2 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

what is: hulling down / hulling ?

Something you don't want to see looking at you.

t32hulldown_zps29f77d40.jpg

Seems like the exploit can be addressed in code. Maybe require travel/distance from repair station (200-500m), before a subsequent repair can be initiated. Just one example, there are a number of ways to address if the devs feel the current game logic is being exploited or not functioning as intended.

Posted (edited)

Imho, 2 simple changes to repairing vehicles that would completely change the tactics, would be to require the vehicle's engine to be off and all seats empty, while the rate at which a vehicle repairs is determined by how many people are digging inside the repair station/box.
- you wouldnt be able to simultaneously repair and use the vehicle
- it'd require a certain level of teamwork to quickly and effectively repair a vehicle
- you could throw a grenade inside a repair station and prevent the enemy from repairing the vehicle at all

Edited by Peerun

You could also make those big fat boxes go -boom!- If they were destroyable and cost tickets, you wouldn't put them in the line of fire, you'd have to put them somewhere safe. 

1 hour ago, LugNut said:

You could also make those big fat boxes go -boom!- If they were destroyable and cost tickets, you wouldn't put them in the line of fire, you'd have to put them somewhere safe. 

Me likey

Posted (edited)

Honest opinion, for the repair station part... Eh its a good idea but I could say its a little cheap... but why not? The taliban wouldn't say 'Mr America, could you please dismantle the mechanic jobs in your military? It's not fair you rebuild/fix your vehicles after I rocket it...'

It's realistic, this is done in real life why cant it be done in Squad? And for the sandbag around the vehicle part... (I didn't know what exactly they wanted opinion on in the picture station or sandbags..) but Seeing first hand a LAV or 'STRYKER' go behind a berm only exposing the turret/weapon system to fire is practical and smart. Yes it would cost resources, time, and planning to get this done and this wouldn't be something done on the fly probably but building this in the defense is smart, not stupid. I say GET SOME! Maybe put this at your most middle defense point for strategic reasons. 

Edited by se7en0311
Was confused on the opinion of the picture sandbags or the repair station

I think all fob objects should be destructible, and that 50's or at least the 30mm should pierce sandbags. penetration should matter more, and it will in V9. I don't expect full environment destruction but sending a bunch of people off to dig instead of fight is pretty bad atm.

Also, repair stations should have a 30sec timer that they stop repairing once something has taken damage - otherwise yea it'll take twice as many RPGs all together and for many (most) teams that's just not feasible since it's only ever 1 squad doing everything over half the time.

Depending on the map, and specific circumstances (time, place, game situation and all that jazz) there could be some value in that setup. I wouldn't automatically say it's a waste per say... but other than the fact that the CROW gets the amazing zoom option, those assets could be replaced by inplaced weapons, thus freeing up the HMVYs to be mobile.

1 hour ago, Ti0mat said:

but other than the fact that the CROW gets the amazing zoom option,

also fewer chances that a random sniper will take down your gunner

Posted (edited)

This is called hull-down position. Its used for tanks and armored vehicles to protect its chasis from AT weaponry. Its awesome, and we do it for BTR-80 and Humvee to effectively lock down and hold a certain area. 

image1086.jpg

Calling that stupid, makes me think you have absolutely no idea about tactical positioning of your squad in general as a squad leader, and you still got alot to learn.

Edited by Rainmaker

5 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

This is called hull-down position. Its used for tanks and armored vehicles to protect its chasis from AT weaponry. Its awesome, and we do it for BTR-80 and Humvee to effectively lock down and hold a certain area. 

image1086.jpg

Calling that stupid, makes me think you have absolutely no idea about tactical positioning of your squad in general as a squad leader, and you still got alot to learn.

I think you're forgetting that Squad doesn't yet have localised vehicle damage. Therefore protecting the chasis, is quite pointless.
The fact is, that the main bonus you get is a smaller target for the enemy, not a tougher one.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Peerun said:

I think you're forgetting that Squad doesn't yet have localised vehicle damage. Therefore protecting the chasis, is quite pointless.
The fact is, that the main bonus you get is a smaller target for the enemy, not a tougher one.

It does not matter what Squad has or hasn't got. I would rather expose little turret to the enemy than the whole vehicle. Its harder to hit small area than big vehicle on the crest line. The point is we will squeeze out every advantage we got in combat. Why should I give even slight advantage to the enemy in combat? It does not make any sense to me. I would put my squad and our assets in danger.

I can recognise this screenshot now. This is my unit, I was there.

Edited by Rainmaker