Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I didn't really know the proper term for this, so I'll just call it "Gun Thrusting" . What I mean is forcefully striking an enemy combatant with the muzzle of whatever long gun you are using. Kind of like a blunt spear thrust, a friend of mine in the armed services told me that was their preferred method of hand to hand combat, if any. Just hit em in the face with the muzzle of your rifle as hard as you can. I did some searching, and I couldn't see anywhere that this had been suggested before. Lots of stuff about knives and e-tool melee and what have you, but what about the thing in your hands 90 percent of the time?

 

I would like to see this implemented over knives or e-tool melee simply because every class (including SLs, who dont have e-tools) has a rifle. The downside is that every single rifle in the game might need to have an animation added to it, rather than just give it to the e-tool or knife and have it be standard for everyone.

 

Let me know whatcha think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, marxman said:

I didn't really know the proper term for this, so I'll just call it "Gun Thrusting" . What I mean is forcefully striking an enemy combatant with the muzzle of whatever long gun you are using. Kind of like a blunt spear thrust, a friend of mine in the armed services told me that was their preferred method of hand to hand combat, if any. Just hit em in the face with the muzzle of your rifle as hard as you can. I did some searching, and I couldn't see anywhere that this had been suggested before. Lots of stuff about knives and e-tool melee and what have you, but what about the thing in your hands 90 percent of the time?

 

I would like to see this implemented over knives or e-tool melee simply because every class (including SLs, who dont have e-tools) has a rifle. The downside is that every single rifle in the game might need to have an animation added to it, rather than just give it to the e-tool or knife and have it be standard for everyone.

 

Let me know whatcha think.

This game is leaning towards being politically correct and not focusing on realism. Thats why not gibs, melee weapons, suicide bombers and dismembered flying body parts. Thats just the way it is from my understanding and not open for discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-12 at 2:09 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

This game is leaning towards being politically correct and not focusing on realism. Thats why not gibs, melee weapons, suicide bombers and dismembered flying body parts. Thats just the way it is from my understanding and not open for discussion.

I'm fiercely opposed the idea of excluding VBIEDs from the insurgents. It worked so perfectly with PR and they're going to be horribly outmatched fighting the USA and Russian military with some SPG9 launchers as their primary defense against armor. That and it carries absolutely no political ideologies unless you attach one to it.

 

Anyway it looks like we're getting a knife down the road from the videos released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rybec said:

I'm fiercely opposed the idea of excluding VBIEDs from the insurgents. It worked so perfectly with PR and they're going to be horribly outmatched fighting the USA and Russian military with some SPG9 launchers as their primary defense against armor. That and it carries absolutely no political ideologies unless you attach one to it.

 

Anyway it looks like we're getting a knife down the road from the videos released.

I agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2017 at 10:16 PM, BestMedic said:

The only tactic actively taught that I know of is the Bayonet charge, While being poked with a barrel would hurt, it wouldn't really kill, if you're that close to enemy it's either kill or be killed.

Here's what you might be referring to:
British Army Bayonet Training

I'm not so sure it wouldn't kill, or hurt at all. An M16 is ~4kg when loaded. The average golf club is ~.3 kg.  Point Three Kilograms. We all know how deadly golf clubs are because most of the impact force is in a small area (and an area larger than the surface area of the end of a muzzle, I might add). I would wager a fully loaded rifle could kill or incapacitate someone with a large forward thrust into the facial area.

 

 

On 3/12/2017 at 3:09 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

This game is leaning towards being politically correct and not focusing on realism. Thats why not gibs, melee weapons, suicide bombers and dismembered flying body parts. Thats just the way it is from my understanding and not open for discussion.

This isn't for realism's sake, nor is it political. I just think having a melee function with the thing that you are holding the majority of the game is more useful than something like a knife or e-tool that you have to switch to. It sounded like a good idea when I heard it.

 

 

 

On 3/13/2017 at 4:21 PM, Rybec said:

Anyway it looks like we're getting a knife down the road from the videos released.


While im excited for it, Im just wondering how useful its going to actually be. If they make it faster than switching to your sidearm, maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting suggestion. Though I think it falls into the 'cool idea for the once in 70 rounds you get a chance to use it'

 

From a realism perspective, if you're in a position where you have to butt the enemy's skull with your muzzle, the next thing to happen will be hand to hand combat. Point being I don't see it being lethal (against a stationary head with a running start, probably. but not against a geared up, aware soldier with a rifle in front of him)

 

If squad had a stun mechanic where things like explosions and shots that hit your rifle would knock you down or weapon out of your hand, I think this suggestion would fit in well. Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case for a while (but I can dream)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Nightingale said:

Why aren't soldiers afraid of damaging their rifle barrel (and possibly front sight post) when they do this?

Because it's not their money :^)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2017 at 10:07 PM, Rybec said:

Because it's not their money :^)

But if they're going to trust the proper functioning of their rifles with their lives they'd do well in giving them the proper care and respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barrel strikes are a real thing. The idea that it damages your rifle is kinda silly. With plastic and collapsible buttstocks the barrel has become the new blunt force weapon. Plenty of information on it from first hand accounts now a days. Guy won't comply? Barrel strike him in the face. He'll comply now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're talking about combatants with their own guns. The idea is to kill or incapacitate, not to take prisoners. Using a rifle barrel in such capacity in place of a blade won't be as effective. If you whack a guy out of combat effectiveness you'll have likely hit hard enough to have knocked something out of alignment on your rifle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@BestMedic Yes i have heard of it as well, gun thrusting is an actual thing. It is easier and potentially more lethal in certain areas than hitting with the butt (i am guessing?).

1. Your barrel is already closer to the oppenent in most cases than the butt of the rifle. 

2. Thrusting with the rifle barrel is probably more powerful and applied to a smaller point upon the targets body. 

3. There is a rifle out there with an actual pointed barrel. I think in the Israel military.

 

 

 

@Nightingale Why would thrusting with the barrel damage the weapon? Guns are made to be durable, at least the good ones.

 

Edited by madcat768

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, madcat768 said:

@BestMedic Yes i have heard of it as well, gun thrusting is an actual thing. It is easier and potentially more lethal in certain areas than hitting with the butt (i am guessing?).

1. Your barrel is already closer to the oppenent in most cases than the butt of the rifle. 

2. Thrusting with the rifle barrel is probably more powerful and applied to a smaller point upon the targets body. 

3. There is a rifle out there with an actual pointed barrel. I think in the Israel military.

 

 

 

@Nightingale Why would thrusting with the barrel damage the weapon? Guns are made to be durable, at least the good ones.

 

It is indeed very actual.

God damn useful in clearing small rooms.

Hitting with the butt is just stupid - As you said, the muzzle is already pointed at the target and will cause more damaged.

 

For increased fun, shoot while thrusting :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like there's going to be rifle melee combat aswell, a dev uploaded this file on discord showing off the AK74 with some melee attacks

They're also showing off some more melee in this video

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think just a selection of melee depending on what item you have selected. Random animations would be ok but advanced mode should allow various kicks, hits and grabs. Give control to the player and add variety with various damage and speed implications.

 

eg

Moving FORWARD + Melee key = Front Kick

Moving backward + Melee key = Gun Butt (Butt stroke lol @Nimbus)

Backward>Crouch>StrafeRight>Melee = Hadoken (fireball)

Blocks should also be possible.

 

All of this would become natural, like jump crouch. Giving more depth to basic controls = pro level :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For melee,

 

I say keep it real simple, and if we are having rifle butt swing then don't bother with the shovel swing's.

 

It's such a small requirement in Squad gameplay.

 

We need something of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SHO-SHIN said:

For melee,

 

I say keep it real simple, and if we are having rifle butt swing then don't bother with the shovel swing's.

 

It's such a small requirement in Squad gameplay.

 

We need something of course.

 

Shovel swinging would be invaluable when you are under fire trying to get rid of an enemy FOB. Happened to me once or twice where I wished I could use the shovel when an insurgent stepped into the same room as me. Be far easier and faster than having to rely on a rifle melee system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is quite common to see a hero standing on top of cover hitting projectiles back at enemies with a shovel. this should be a feature ;) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, suds said:

it is quite common to see a hero standing on top of cover hitting projectiles back at enemies with a shovel. this should be a feature ;) 

 

 

Hot Shots Part Trois and Squad Crossover when?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2017 at 4:15 AM, EElkjaer said:

It is indeed very actual.

God damn useful in clearing small rooms.

Hitting with the butt is just stupid - As you said, the muzzle is already pointed at the target and will cause more damaged.

 

For increased fun, shoot while thrusting :P

 

THIS^

 

Ro Ostfront is the only game I've ever played where you could shoot when you were bayoneting charging someone. It was incredibly useful and lethal. Been wanting to see it in another game since then.

 

I'm glad were getting a melee system, I just hope it ends up intuitive and something I'll actually end up using. Crossing my fingers for the devs to add accurate rifle melee (they have enough people with combat experience for it) and not the weird "hit em with the grip/buttstock" thing I see most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×