I didn't really know the proper term for this, so I'll just call it "Gun Thrusting" . What I mean is forcefully striking an enemy combatant with the muzzle of whatever long gun you are using. Kind of like a blunt spear thrust, a friend of mine in the armed services told me that was their preferred method of hand to hand combat, if any. Just hit em in the face with the muzzle of your rifle as hard as you can. I did some searching, and I couldn't see anywhere that this had been suggested before. Lots of stuff about knives and e-tool melee and what have you, but what about the thing in your hands 90 percent of the time?

 

I would like to see this implemented over knives or e-tool melee simply because every class (including SLs, who dont have e-tools) has a rifle. The downside is that every single rifle in the game might need to have an animation added to it, rather than just give it to the e-tool or knife and have it be standard for everyone.

 

Let me know whatcha think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only tactic actively taught that I know of is the Bayonet charge, While being poked with a barrel would hurt, it wouldn't really kill, if you're that close to enemy it's either kill or be killed.

Here's what you might be referring to:
British Army Bayonet Training

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shield bash in WOW....How about call it rifle bash... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, marxman said:

I didn't really know the proper term for this, so I'll just call it "Gun Thrusting" . What I mean is forcefully striking an enemy combatant with the muzzle of whatever long gun you are using. Kind of like a blunt spear thrust, a friend of mine in the armed services told me that was their preferred method of hand to hand combat, if any. Just hit em in the face with the muzzle of your rifle as hard as you can. I did some searching, and I couldn't see anywhere that this had been suggested before. Lots of stuff about knives and e-tool melee and what have you, but what about the thing in your hands 90 percent of the time?

 

I would like to see this implemented over knives or e-tool melee simply because every class (including SLs, who dont have e-tools) has a rifle. The downside is that every single rifle in the game might need to have an animation added to it, rather than just give it to the e-tool or knife and have it be standard for everyone.

 

Let me know whatcha think.

This game is leaning towards being politically correct and not focusing on realism. Thats why not gibs, melee weapons, suicide bombers and dismembered flying body parts. Thats just the way it is from my understanding and not open for discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-12 at 2:09 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

This game is leaning towards being politically correct and not focusing on realism. Thats why not gibs, melee weapons, suicide bombers and dismembered flying body parts. Thats just the way it is from my understanding and not open for discussion.

I'm fiercely opposed the idea of excluding VBIEDs from the insurgents. It worked so perfectly with PR and they're going to be horribly outmatched fighting the USA and Russian military with some SPG9 launchers as their primary defense against armor. That and it carries absolutely no political ideologies unless you attach one to it.

 

Anyway it looks like we're getting a knife down the road from the videos released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rybec said:

I'm fiercely opposed the idea of excluding VBIEDs from the insurgents. It worked so perfectly with PR and they're going to be horribly outmatched fighting the USA and Russian military with some SPG9 launchers as their primary defense against armor. That and it carries absolutely no political ideologies unless you attach one to it.

 

Anyway it looks like we're getting a knife down the road from the videos released.

I agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2017 at 10:16 PM, BestMedic said:

The only tactic actively taught that I know of is the Bayonet charge, While being poked with a barrel would hurt, it wouldn't really kill, if you're that close to enemy it's either kill or be killed.

Here's what you might be referring to:
British Army Bayonet Training

I'm not so sure it wouldn't kill, or hurt at all. An M16 is ~4kg when loaded. The average golf club is ~.3 kg.  Point Three Kilograms. We all know how deadly golf clubs are because most of the impact force is in a small area (and an area larger than the surface area of the end of a muzzle, I might add). I would wager a fully loaded rifle could kill or incapacitate someone with a large forward thrust into the facial area.

 

 

On 3/12/2017 at 3:09 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

This game is leaning towards being politically correct and not focusing on realism. Thats why not gibs, melee weapons, suicide bombers and dismembered flying body parts. Thats just the way it is from my understanding and not open for discussion.

This isn't for realism's sake, nor is it political. I just think having a melee function with the thing that you are holding the majority of the game is more useful than something like a knife or e-tool that you have to switch to. It sounded like a good idea when I heard it.

 

 

 

On 3/13/2017 at 4:21 PM, Rybec said:

Anyway it looks like we're getting a knife down the road from the videos released.


While im excited for it, Im just wondering how useful its going to actually be. If they make it faster than switching to your sidearm, maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting suggestion. Though I think it falls into the 'cool idea for the once in 70 rounds you get a chance to use it'

 

From a realism perspective, if you're in a position where you have to butt the enemy's skull with your muzzle, the next thing to happen will be hand to hand combat. Point being I don't see it being lethal (against a stationary head with a running start, probably. but not against a geared up, aware soldier with a rifle in front of him)

 

If squad had a stun mechanic where things like explosions and shots that hit your rifle would knock you down or weapon out of your hand, I think this suggestion would fit in well. Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case for a while (but I can dream)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why aren't soldiers afraid of damaging their rifle barrel (and possibly front sight post) when they do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Nightingale said:

Why aren't soldiers afraid of damaging their rifle barrel (and possibly front sight post) when they do this?

Because it's not their money :^)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now