chaz69

AMD 1800X OMG!!

What happened next will shock you.

Dunno, just wondering if any brave soul stepped up and purchased one and tried it out.  i can find a handful of usernames here and steam forums ranting about ryzen curing cancer, but no one has spoke up.

ive already purchased 14 1800x's and 32 770k's. just need people to test them for me.

Intel's I7 7700k will still be better for strictly gaming. AMD's Ryzen R7 1700, when overclocked, might have some appeal for mixed workloads (i.e. 70 percent content creation, 30 percent gaming), depending on the software you need to use, given its lower price point (MSRP ~ $330). Under no circumstances should you buy an R7 1800X (OR an Intel I7 6900k) for gaming alone.    

To learn more I encourage you to read both these reviews or watch the accompanying videos. Steve is the best in the business:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2822-amd-ryzen-r7-1800x-review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2827-amd-r7-1700-review-amd-competes-with-its-1800x

70/30, thats close to what i figured.  i figured 82% content creation, 18.5% gaming and .5% bsod. 

i dont like steve, steve's a hippie, get a haircut hippie and a job while you're at it..

The Ryzen platform is a future platform, once Game engines start using the extra core to its advantage the 1700x and 1800x will become better CPUs than Intels current offering.

Dont forget the past guys, remember when Dual Core and Single Core was King! Everyone said i7 Was pointless for Gaming and disable Hyper-Threading etc Now see the difference in modern title i5 vs i7

I would be interested in what Unreal 4 can do with Ryzen tbh seeing its a new engine you would expect decent core scaling. 

15 hours ago, shankly1985 said:

The Ryzen platform is a future platform, once Game engines start using the extra core to its advantage the 1700x and 1800x will become better CPUs than Intels current offering.

Dont forget the past guys, remember when Dual Core and Single Core was King! Everyone said i7 Was pointless for Gaming and disable Hyper-Threading etc Now see the difference in modern title i5 vs i7

I would be interested in what Unreal 4 can do with Ryzen tbh seeing its a new engine you would expect decent core scaling. 

Without a doubt, we all hope that AMD and game developers, will synergize their products for better performance to cost for the average gamer. However, game development takes place over such a long period, it will be several years before the type of possible advantages you highlight will be relevant for most games. And in that time, hardware and graphics will continue to evolve - meaning that by the time those (potential) positives are reached on the software side, AMD and Intel will have new products in the market that will likely do them even better, and at lower cost.    

The big story here is the R7 1700 is true value for certain content creators.  Why AMD decided to promote the $500 R7 1800X as its launch flagship for gamers, we'll never know...

18 hours ago, chaz69 said:

70/30, thats close to what i figured.  i figured 82% content creation, 18.5% gaming and .5% bsod. 

i dont like steve, steve's a hippie, get a haircut hippie and a job while you're at it..

Fair enough, but Steve is an expert and trying to allow folks to make an informed decision. How you choose to (wisely or unwisely) spend your hard earned clams, will always be up to you.  

Because the R7 1800X is fine for 1080p gaming right now. Not bad, not horrible, not good but it is fine. It is not as good as the i7700K but it will give you a smooth gameplay besides the amazing performance in multithreaded workloads and it is absolutely not as bad as an AMD FX8350 which my desktop bears now. I am really interested how much the R7's will improve over the coming months, if the 1080p gaming performance increases to a competing level to a 6900K. Don't forget that it took quite a while for the X99 Mobo and the i7/i5 series to get optimalization as well, and like some guys above stated that the adoption was not great either.

Oh and don't just look at Gamersnexus. If you are about to buy something you take a look at a shitload of reviews. The same with when you buy machinery or a car. Or when you take a more indepth look at news and facts, you never use just one single source, its a universally accepted procedure for almost everything. An overview of (maybe) all the reviews: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5x3cvv/ryzen_review_mega_thread/

By the way Chaz, you really had me with the title. Hehe some nasty clickbait title it is. I would have really enjoyed a good read about the combination between a R7 CPU and Squad.

Edited by BaldadigeAnton
Added a reddit link for an overview of reviews, edited "R71800X is good for gaming" to "is fine for 1080p gaming".

Well it al depends what games your playing, are there any Squad benchmarks for Ryzen?

I only play Arma3 and Squad so i ll stick with intel for now

nv_arma3.pngryzen-bench-sku-arma.png

Definitely right about that, won't argue with you here. Imagine my pain playing ARMA III on an FX-8350. I love it to go into multiplayer and join an urban battle @ 19 fps. Unfortunately that game will never run properly since it is so hardcore relying on single thread and can only address up to 4GB RAM (or am I wrong here?).

9 hours ago, BaldadigeAnton said:

Definitely right about that, won't argue with you here. Imagine my pain playing ARMA III on an FX-8350. I love it to go into multiplayer and join an urban battle @ 19 fps. Unfortunately that game will never run properly since it is so hardcore relying on single thread and can only address up to 4GB RAM (or am I wrong here?).

If I'm not mistaken, Bohemia released a 64-bit build recently with an update, so it should be able to address more than 4GB now, but definitely not before.

Edited by JarryHead

@chaz69 King of the clickbait ;)

Ryzen has so much more to give yet once software (looking at you Microsoft) and MB manufacturers sort out their bios. It's a new architecture and AMD has been away for to long so everyone has to get up to speed with it. Looks like a bright future though. Give it 6 months and I'll be checking to see if I want Ryzen in my next build.

looking forward to seeing how Squad is with it. :) best of luck

@Major Trouble  lol i had too.   i'm hopeful for the upcoming updates for ryzen, i miss my old 1090t.  I loved the functionality of it, but then i bought a 8350 expecting it to blow out the 2600k's and 3770's. 

8 hours ago, PolishKruk said:

Mine arrived today along with my x370 Mobo. Not sure if I'll tell you ****s how terrible it is though ;)

fps on a full server will be in 50-60 range, thats kind of obvious already

14 hours ago, PolishKruk said:

Mine arrived today along with my x370 Mobo. Not sure if I'll tell you ****s how terrible it is though ;)

Oh you definitely piqued my interest! Have you had a go with it already?

2 minutes ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

Good stuff. What video card are you using?

Video is not mine but the specs are in the description

here is what he's using

specs:
AMD 1800x Stock speeds
GTX 1080 FE Stock speeds
32GB DDR4 2x16 at 2133mhz (3200kit, but won't boot. Running at 2133mhz)
Asus crosshair VI Hero Mobo
960 pro 512GB NVME SSD

1800X Squad

Edited by chaz69