To keep consistent with the realism philosophy, I suggest that repair stations should not repair vehicles that are occupied or at the very least, when the gunner seat is occupied, the repair should stop and should not start again for 30 seconds after a gunner leaves the gunner seat.  People are camping vehicles at repair stations making the game a little like battlefield, though the repair time is long for vehicles - it breaks the spirit of the game.

Example of request:

If a vehicle pulls up in range of the repair station with no man in the gunner seat, the repair station begins repairing.

If a vehicle pulls up in range of the repair station with a gunner in the gunner seat, the repair station does nothing.

If a vehicle is in range of the repair station and a gunner leaves the gunner seat - a 30 second time starts and at the end of the 30 seconds repairs start.

If a vehicle is repairing at a repair station and a man enters the gunner seat, repairs stop and the counter does not start until the gunner leaves the gunner's seat.

I'd support this, or even just a longer repair/rearm time.

I saw in the update that there is an engineer class coming, who knows what the devs have in mind with that. You might need an engineer present to repair heavy vehicles? 

Combat engineers have nothing to do with vehicles, unless they are engineering vehicles.