RipGroove

Anyone here gone from 4790k to 7700k?

Yes that is true, intel at the moment runs Squad very well, however keep in mind that gap is changing very fast each day, with new technologies, drivers, engine updates and other things it's a interesting time to see what is a good choice for the future, but i think the 1080ti is a card to keep eye on, dx12/vulcan support, ryzen etc.

greets

Oh yes for sure, the 1080ti Hybrid will be going in this build as soon as it's available to order! And as for new technology etc, I agree that the AMD/Intel gap is getting smaller as time goes on and AMD optimisation is also getting much better to the point that AMD is now a very viable choice. But for me personally I'm not ready to invest my own money in it just yet, I'd rather play it safe this time around for this particular build, even if it does cost me a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I've just ordered all the parts (except the 1080ti hybrid which hasn't even been announced yet) so hopefully it'll all go together smoothly.

Hell yes I'm excited for you. Nothing like a fresh PC build to rejuvenate the soul! Keep us updated with pics and good luck. 

Haha thanks, will do.

Very quick update, assembled all the parts a few days ago and I've since been working on the CPU overclock. So far I'm stable at 4.9GHz with max temp of 75°C under 100% load.

I should be able to hit 5.0GHz as apparently 80°C is OK for 100% stress testing load as real world temps will be more like 75°C.

Only issue I'm having is I'm part way through stress testing at 5.0GHz and it's still not stable even at 1.39v, not sure I want to add too much more voltage even though temps are OK. I need to do some reading up on this before proceeding.

Anyway, here's a very quick photo, no GPU as yet as I'm awaiting the 1080ti Hybrid, but I read yesterday it could be 4 months away ☹️

f98bee798521300975af468cc28b683d.jpg

Once I'm happy with whatever overclock I can get I'll stick the 980ti FTW in it from my current PC to keep me gaming until the new GPU is available.

Full spec for anyone interested:

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (Tempered Glass)
MOBO: ASUS Z270 TUF Mark 1
CPU: i7-7700k @ 4.9GHz (maybe 5.0GHz)
CPU COOLER: NZXT Kraken X62
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 3000MHz
PSU: Corsair RMi 850w
SSD: M.2 Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 500GB
FANS: 4x Corsair ML140 & 2x NZXT 140
GPU: None as yet

Looking real nice... 

Thanks, hopefully it'll play Squad pretty well when it's finished.

I have a somewhat stable 5.0GHz clock I think. Very quick test in Squad, 70-100fps in Chora not in any engagements, and 55fps in Fools Road, not in any engagements.

Note that I'm using my monitors fps counter which maxes out at 100 as it's a 100Hz monitor, so my max FPS is being G-Sync'd to match my monitor. So actual fps would be higher at times if I wasn't limited to 100.

Lots more testing to go obviously as I want to see the absolute minimum fps under heavy fire and smoke etc.

That's with HT on as well so I need to disable that also.

Pyle_DK   

relly nice, you got lucky with the temp. on that cpu. with the 1080ti hybrid it will be a killer pc! :) 

relly nice, you got lucky with the temp. on that cpu. with the 1080ti hybrid it will be a killer pc!  

Well it did peak at 83°C during stress test so I'm not 100% how good of a chip it is but time will tell.

banOkay   
36 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

Well it did peak at 83°C during stress test so I'm not 100% how good of a chip it is but time will tell.

That's really not much, my 6700k went to about 93°C peak in prime95 but it hardly ever even reaches 70°C while gaming. I use air cooling.

Pyle_DK   
13 hours ago, RipGroove said:

I'm using custom watercooling with high end parts, it works 2h squad ultra 200% my titan x hits around 55 degree and it has a big oc, but the cpu in games 75-81 degree p95 totur test 93 degree then I stoped it :D 83 isent bad at all. I need to delid to get there

Pyle_DK   

you are running 4.9 5ghz It pushes it to 1.36-1.41v at 5ghz? if so 83 for a non delided chip is kind og good, what i'm trying to say is it's no potato cpu, maby not a winner of the lottery, but it's better of from start, then mine 7700k :D 

Cant whait for my 34'' screen too, I hope you enjoy it.

Ah Ok good. I need to do a couple of hours of Squad to see what the CPU hits really.

Pyle_DK   

whats your max temp after prime95? dont rely on asus temp. they are most times wrong, i use real temp or cam. Asus auto oc and there oc profiles also uses about 1.4-1.41v and thats makes mutch heat, and it can run the same ghz at lower vol. 

I use HWMONITOR for temps and I've OC'd manually. Personally I don't like P95 so I've been using x264 stress test. My MAX temp after 15mins of x264 is 83°C. It loads all cores to 100% instantly and keeps them there.

Pyle_DK   
7 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

I use HWMONITOR for temps and I've OC'd manually. Personally I don't like P95 so I've been using x264 stress test. My MAX temp after 15mins of x264 is 83°C. It loads all cores to 100% instantly and keeps them there.

You got a good cpu :D I'll have to bump mine down to 4.6-4.7ghz to handle loads in stress tests like these at max peak temps at low 80s 

Its relly nice to have your sys to compare with :) I hope to get temps down after delid, so that mine can cross the stable 5ghz line too.

You got a good cpu  I'll have to bump mine down to 4.6-4.7ghz to handle loads in stress tests like these at max peak temps at low 80s 

Its relly nice to have your sys to compare with  I hope to get temps down after delid, so that mine can cross the stable 5ghz line too.

I'm just paranoid I've missed something somewhere as overclocking it was strangely easy.

What sort of FPS  are you getting in a full squad server?

With the 7700k at 5.0GHz and 980ti FTW at 3440x1440 with everything maxed out (no AA or SS) I was getting 80-90fps average with dips no lower than 65fps under heavy fire and smoke in full servers in Squad v8.9

But

With Squad v9.0 I get 30fps lows on a lot of the maps for some reason even when they are completely empty.