RipGroove

Anyone here gone from 4790k to 7700k?

I'm very close to starting a new PC build (mainly because I'm a bit bored with my current 4790k @ 4.7GHz & 980ti config and it's getting on a bit now).

Among other things the new spec will be an OC'd 7700k (4.8GHz probably), 1080ti, M.2 SSD. I know I'm currently CPU bound with Squad (like most of us here) so going from 989ti to 1080ti alone probably won't have any effect on performance at all in Squad, so the 1080ti part of my upgrade is currently purely for other games.

What I'm interested in is the CPU, on paper and benchmarks the 7700k isn't really that much better than the 4790k hence why I want to hear from anyone here who might have recently done that exact upgrade as maybe you've seen a performance increase in Squad what with switching to DDR4 as well.

For reference I do OK in Squad (55fps average across most maps at an Ultrawide res of 3440x1440 with everything maxed out accept in game AA) with my 4790k @ 4.7GHz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad Ash   

I went from a [email protected] to a [email protected] I got a large fps boost in Squad and a small one in other games where is was CPU bound. Before i would drop down to low 50's on a 80 player server, now i never go below 75fps.

Here is a short clip from Fools Road with 79 players on the server.

I went from a [email protected] to a [email protected] I got a large fps boost in Squad and a small one in other games where is was CPU bound. Before i would drop down to low 50's on a 80 player server, now i never go below 75fps.

Here is a short clip from Fools Road with 79 players on the server.

You're looking at 10-15% improvement clock for clock. For 300+ it's not worth it at all.

But I'll actually only be £150 max out of pocket by the time I've sold my 4790k for a minimum of £180.

Also that 10-15% increase could mean going from 55fps average to 60-65fps.

M.I.K.E.   

I have the 3370k also running @4.6ghz and its still holding strong for me. Ill wait for the next one maybe intel wil wake up after this ryzen cpu.

Gonna wait for something smaller then 14nm.

I have the 3370k also running @4.6ghz and its still holding strong for me. Ill wait for the next one maybe intel wil wake up after this ryzen cpu.

Gonna wait for something smaller then 14nm.

This was my first thought too BUT from what I've been reading the 10nm architecture could be a fair wait from now.

banOkay   
6 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

But I'll actually only be £150 max out of pocket by the time I've sold my 4790k for a minimum of £180

What about your motherboard?

What about your motherboard?

Ahh yes of course we'll the total build is going to put out of pocket by quite a bit BUT most of the build is going ahead anyway regardless, case, coolers, SSD's, PSU and all that but I WAS maybe thinking I'll keep my 4790k, motherboard and RAM in the new case BUT then I figured why not just go all in, that way all my new kit matches colours, be a little faster and therefore last me another year or so.

My current build is a right Frankenstein of parts as it's evolved over time with no real thought to how it looks, I mean it's tidy and well put together but the case airflow and the fan setup isn't ideal to keep an overclocked beast very quiet so after thinking about upgrading certain parts I just figured it would be easier to design the whole thing from scratch again and of course if anyone was going to start a brand new high ish end PC build in 2017 you wouldn't go out and buy a 4790k...

Pyle_DK   

I went from 2600k extreme to 7700k but changed so much stuff, so its a bit hard to compare, with all the new hardware thats also changing stuff, but for me a big jump, but the 2600k. with 16gb 1300mhz ddr3, with a 980ti hybrid didt relly well. and it an 2011 sandy bridge cpu :) it ran squad in highest settings at 45-60 fps on 1080p But using vsync so it locked it at 60fps max

Edited by Pyle_DK

M.I.K.E.   
2 hours ago, RipGroove said:

This was my first thought too BUT from what I've been reading the 10nm architecture could be a fair wait from now.

Yeah first theres gonna be a cannonlake on 14nm named 8700K this year to compete with Ryzen and then next year maybe there will be 10nm for desktops.

I hope i can hold that long.

Yeah first theres gonna be a cannonlake on 14nm named 8700K this year to compete with Ryzen and then next year maybe there will be 10nm for desktops.

I hope i can hold that long.

I deffo can't wait that long so my logical choice is 7700k then a CPU and mobo swap later on. There's no point me waiting for 8700k because it won't be a big enough improvement over 7700k to justify waiting for it to be released.

SHO-SHIN   

4790k vs 7700k clock for clock is about 15% improvement in Squad.

I just got one but more for my VR stuff and I needed a second rig (laptop) commercial project's.

4790k vs 7700k clock for clock is about 15% improvement in Squad.

I just got one but more for my VR stuff and I needed a second rig for a commercial project.

Awesome thank you! I've just this minute ordered the new case from one retailer now I just have to bring my self to order the remaining £1400's worth from another retailer, THEN I have to wait patiently for EVGA to release their 1080ti Hybrid which will be another £800 probably

So, a 2017 build is happening!

SHO-SHIN   
2 hours ago, RipGroove said:

Awesome thank you! I've just this minute ordered the new case from one retailer now I just have to bring my self to order the remaining £1400's worth from another retailer, THEN I have to wait patiently for EVGA to release their 1080ti Hybrid which will be another £800 probably emoji44.png

So, a 2017 build is happening!

Well good luck with the build mate, I am very happy with the i7 7700k, M.2 nvme SSD, 32GB RAM and GTX 1080 combination in my new fancy laptop!

But don't tell the wife!

Well good luck with the build mate, I am very happy with the i7 7700k, M.2 nvme SSD, 32GB RAM and GTX 1080 combination in my new fancy laptop!

But don't tell the wife!

Haha! Thanks.

I would go with the 7700k for sure. Best gaming cpu out right now. Even when the 8700k drops it probably wont be leaps and bounds ahead of the 7700k anyhow. Pair the 7700k with a 1080ti and you'll have a bad-ass untouchable gaming rig for years to come...

banOkay   
21 minutes ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

I would go with the 7700k for sure. Best gaming cpu out right now. Even when the 8700k drops it probably wont be leaps and bounds ahead of the 7700k anyhow. Pair the 7700k with a 1080ti and you'll have a bad-ass untouchable gaming rig for years to come...

4c8t is not future proof at all...

Personally I usually swap motherboard and CPU every two years and GPU every year so I'm not necessarily looking for future proof out one config.

Then I'd say the 7700k is the way to go. The zen r5 and r3 line-up definitely won't be able to go toe to toe with the 7700k so you should be good.

Yeah I'm not remotely interested in AMD at all, been there, got burned, not going back lol

20 hours ago, RipGroove said:

Yeah I'm not remotely interested in AMD at all, been there, got burned, not going back lol

The new Ryzen's are destroying Intel i7's in multi threaded and close or even single threaded performance across all boards, (blender, cinebench, encoding, gaming) with new drivers and new motherboards and 50 percent cheaper with far far lower clocks and power usage. 

Imagine how lazy Intel has been these years when their so called "top i7's" can't even touch a stock AMD ryzen with new drivers that are crap and motherboards that have not even been optimized for it. :D

Edited by MDInteractive

The new Ryzen's are destroying Intel i7's in multi threaded and close or even single threaded performance across all boards, (blender, cinebench, encoding, gaming) with new drivers and new motherboards and 50 percent cheaper with far far lower clocks and power usage. 

Imagine how lazy Intel has been these years when their so called "top i7's" can't even touch a stock AMD ryzen with new drivers that are crap and motherboards that have not even been optimized for it. 

I'm no fan boy but I'm team green and blue for the foreseeable future. I've spent (wasted) many many hours trying to get decent performance out of AMD CPU's in the past so I'm just not going to do it again while I know for a fact that a 7700k will do what I want no questions asked. This new build is costing around £2400 so I'm simply not going to risk it, especially on a new AMD architecture that among other things will have teething problems and won't be well optimised on a lot of engines for quite some time. My money is going on a tried and tested route where I know it'll be safe.

24 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

I'm no fan boy but I'm team green and blue for the foreseeable future. I've spent (wasted) many many hours trying to get decent performance out of AMD CPU's in the past so I'm just not going to do it again while I know for a fact that a 7700k will do what I want no questions asked. This new build is costing around £2400 so I'm simply not going to risk it, especially on a new AMD architecture that among other things will have teething problems and won't be well optimised on a lot of engines for quite some time. My money is going on a tried and tested route where I know it'll be safe.

Yes that is true, intel at the moment runs Squad very well, however keep in mind that gap is changing very fast each day, with new technologies, drivers, engine updates and other things it's a interesting time to see what is a good choice for the future, but i think the 1080ti is a card to keep eye on, dx12/vulcan support, ryzen etc.

greets