Chuc

Announcement: Alpha 9 Features & Changelog

1 hour ago, BattIeBorn said:

The devs have stated over and over that this IS NOT a simulator

Exactly. And as also stated over and over again by the devs, this game's vision from the start was to make a game with the same basic principles as PR (Not a carbon copy of PR in all it's details). A PR-like game, as it was recently put. The best possible way to make that a reality is to always strife to find the perfect balance between realism and gameplay like PR has done. The way this is, and has been done, is by representing weapon characteristics as realistically as possible, while at the same time finding other means and ways of balance. Which often comes down to asymmetrical balance, examples of which you'll find on map layers with conventional vs non-conventional/irregular armies.

56 minutes ago, BattIeBorn said:

Why on earth would you want a high ROF 30mm chain gun with nothing to properly counter it at the moment?

1 hour ago, DonDOOM said:

- why even implement the 82A now if according to the devs the only way to balance it out is to have a proper counterpart.

Again, you're exactly right.

56 minutes ago, BattIeBorn said:

Your decision to jump on here and quickly rush a gripe about a weapon characteristic, BEFORE you've spent enough time to evaluate how much something like this would change the gameplay is short sighted and lacks creativity.

That's a very presumptuous and eh... short sighted thing of you to say, hue.

My post wasn't rushed or made quickly. Having had ~11 years of experience regarding situations and issues like this from PR, both from the perspective outside, as well as inside the team being a deputy test lead.

Again, I'm not arguing how this will affect gameplay one way or another. The point I'm trying to get across is the fact that changing weapon characteristics as a means of balance is a step in the wrong direction, and I hope it's not something we'll see more of down the line.

For people thinking that pointing out issues like these is being dramatic, try interpreting someone's post with the idea that this person has the best possible intentions in mind, instead of seeing it as some sort of attack on something you hold dear.

On 3/12/2017 at 0:14 PM, SandSukka said:

With this new FOB, implentstion, What will prevent someone from burying the radio under hescos, sand bags, and razor wire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very good point. Stick it upstairs in a building and stuff it fulll of junk. If defenses ever get nerfed to take longer to dig down than build, it'd be hard to kill. 

A very good point. Stick it upstairs in a building and stuff it fulll of junk. If defenses ever get nerfed to take longer to dig down than build, it'd be hard to kill. 

Oh yeah, didn't even think about that. That would be hell.

So maybe the strategy is to dig up the spawn point first, then deal with the radio, however insanely protected it may be.

11 minutes ago, SandSukka said:

Oh yeah, didn't even think about that. That would be hell.

So maybe the strategy is to dig up the spawn point first, then deal with the radio, however insanely protected it may be.

That's the key. Lots of people will be going straight for the radio, as they usually do. But this should make it so that people need to worry about the HAB a bit before going directly for the radio. 

2 hours ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

That's the key. Lots of people will be going straight for the radio, as they usually do. But this should make it so that people need to worry about the HAB a bit before going directly for the radio. 

Not to mention it'll be much harder to find the radio, now that people won't be streaming from the general direction of it.

Edited by Peerun

22 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Not to mention it'll much harder to find the radio, now that people won't be streaming from the general direction of it.

One more caveat, the FOB itself can now be "entrenched". That is, the FOB itself can now be hidden behind emplacements/sandbags/hescos, and entrenched in a room/location. This means that while players spawning in can still get away from the FOB area, it may require some work for the attackers to even get to the radio. Again, this emphasizes removing the HAB first. 

It's gonna make FOB play different in general.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

when you barricade your own radio u deny your team the possibility to remove a Fob/Hab that already turned into a spawntrap and with this also the possibilty to save the 25 tickets

not too sure in which situations this would be viable

/edit

which raises the question ... is your team-hab removeable? with shovel? or by the SL?

so what i imagine is that you should camp the Hab and then find the radio and take it down to deny the other team to set up a new hab before you removed the radio since only one hab can be placed

Edited by gshAT

9 minutes ago, gshAT said:

when you barricade your own radio u deny your team the possibility to remove a Fob/Hab that already turned into a spawntrap and with this also the possibilty to save the 25 tickets

not too sure in which situations this would be viable

With a HAB you don't spawn on the FOB, you spawn on the HAB. Ideally, you place them far enough away from each other that there is no "spawn trap" as you say. If you put the FOB and the HAB right next to each other, you're going to have a bad time.

But, I see your point. We will need to see how the players adapt and start to use the new HABs. I actually foresee the situation of digging up your own FOB happening less, but that is if (and only if) the player base gets better at placing FOBs in defendable locations. 

11 minutes ago, gshAT said:

which raises the question ... is your team-hab removeable? with shovel? or by the SL?

so what i imagine is that you should camp the Hab and find the radio to deny the other team to set up a new hub before you removed the radio since only one hab can be placed

Yes, it should act like any other deploy-able; you will need to dig it up before placing a new one (according to the preview). 

As for camping the HAB while searching for the FOB, this should be entirely possible but should require a slightly larger number of men than simply camping a FOB (as it is in a8). The problem comes in camping the HAB, as I believe there will be a variable number of spawn points that can be chosen when spawned in, rather than a single point like the FOB. Thus players spawn in various locations around/in the HAB, not a constant location.

i got the idea of HABs and FOBs and that HABS now beeing the spawnpoint ... and im sure there will now be Hab-Spawntraps

was little missleading with the "Fob/Hub" sry

k actually if you can deshovel it ... you should deshovel it half so its still placed but not operative and have it guarded till you find the Radio

where did you got the Info that they spawn in on random/selectable points "around" the Hub?

what i understood is you spawn in the bunker with the 2 or 3 exits but i might have missed something

but actually the longer i think about how it could play out i can imagine that saftey rallyes close to the fob will become more frequent especially with the "barricaded-radio-tactic" which really could make this a viable tactic cause u win time when u lose your hab-spawnpoint in some situations or on some flags. probably at super-fobs-on flags! making a hated tactic even more hated with another hated tactic :) more viable or not ... we will see

Edited by gshAT

7 minutes ago, gshAT said:

i got the idea of HABs and FOBs and that HABS now beeing the spawnpoint ... and im sure there will now be Hab-Spawntraps

was little missleading with the "Fob/Hub" sry

k actually if you can deshovel it ... you should deshovel it half so its still placed but not operative and have it guarded till you find the Radio

where did you got the Info that they spawn in on random/selectable points "around" the Hub?

what i understood is you spawn in the bunker with the 3 exits but i might have missed something

but actually the longer i think about how it could play out i can imagine that saftey rallyes close to the fob will become more frequent especially with the "barricaded-radio-tactic" which really could make this a viable tactic cause u win time when u lose your hab-spawnpoint in some situations or on some flags. probably at super-fobs-on flags! making a hated tactic even more hated with another hated tactic :) more viable or not ... we will see

My best guess for it being around the HAB would be this quote:

"Even though it is more visible, a single enemy will not as easily be able to take down an entire enemy FOB as he cannot kill every new spawn while also taking down the radio, unless the defenders have really poor placement of course. "

Now, a single enemy was able to take down a FOB in the past because of the fact that any spawns happened at a constant spot. My guess is the HAB is larger and gives a bit of leeway into exactly where you spawn, plus the HAB may have multiple entrances/exits as well.

I guess what I meant to say is it should be harder to predict exactly where someone will spawn/come out of the HAB.

As for the RP comment, I can also see that becoming a thing to quickly get back to a FOB that is being taken.

Needless to say, SLs will need to adapt, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

well but you just could go inside an sit in a corner ... u will always have the advantage of not spawning there  ... like it was now with the fob

actually i never could take down a fob alone since always you started shoveling someone spawned ... but i guess i had bad luck.. sometimes even thought it was scripted... in my oppinion at least 2 guys were needed minimum to get on a frequently spawned fob

always hated it when you lie on the floor with your shovel ... wished for an F button like the SL has so often for the enemy radio

Even though it is more visible, a single enemy will not as easily be able to take down an entire enemy FOB as he cannot kill every new spawn while also taking down the radio, unless the defenders have really poor placement of course. 

I think this refers to the point that they are separate items, so unless you put them right next to each other, one person can't do two things at once. Since the HABs are small structures with mulitple exits, I think the assumption is not knowing any better that you'll spawn  directly inside it. 

Even if barricading in the radio isn't the greatest idea since you can't shovel it down, if it's possible it will still be done. I'd love to see limits implemented somehow that would prevent it, since I'd rather not introduce stupid gamey opportunities into deliberately realistic-ish gameplay. No placing other assets within X raidus of the radio for example, so you could have it inside a compound, but not walled off inside a room.

Edited by LugNut

3 minutes ago, LugNut said:

I think this refers to the point that they are separate items, so unless you put them right next to each other, one person can't do two things at once. Since the HABs are small structures with mulitple exits, I think the assumption is not knowing any better that you'll spawn  directly inside it. 

Thats a good point. I'll just go with the "HAB has multiple exits" explanation for what I said then.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

while thinking little bit more about it and the official idea behind this

isnt it actually easier to take down the Spawnpoint now?

since you just have to deshovel it a little bit ... under the assumtion it works like every other deployable (smart) object?

just run close to it and press right mousebutton for some seconds

could imagine this takes less time than it took for a radio

Edited by gshAT

I really don't see how it would be any harder for a single enemy to take down an FOB. 

There is still only one spawn point and only one radio, even though they are now separate structures. 

Before and after V9 a single soldier still needs to choose between killing the soldiers spawning in, or digging down the FOB. He cannot and never could do both. 

If anything, it should now be easier for a single soldier to dig take down an FOB alone. In V9, there is no risk of enemies spawning in directly on the radio while the soldier is digging. They will spawn somewhere else, potentially far enough away that they would not notice that their radio is being dug down. 

3 minutes ago, gshAT said:

while thinking little bit more about it and the official idea behind this

isnt it actually easier to take down the Spawnpoint now?

since you just have to deshovel it a little bit ... under the assumtion it works like every other deployable (smart) object?

just run close to it and press right mousebutton for some seconds

could imagine this takes less time than it took for a radio

I'd assume that the HAB would take longer to shovel up and down than normal structures. Should end up taking as long as it takes to deactivate spawning on FOBs in V8.

15 minutes ago, Flat896 said:

I really don't see how it would be any harder for a single enemy to take down an FOB. 

There is still only one spawn point and only one radio, even though they are now separate structures. 

Before and after V9 a single soldier still needs to choose between killing the soldiers spawning in, or digging down the FOB. He cannot and never could do both. 

If anything, it should now be easier for a single soldier to dig take down an FOB alone. In V9, there is no risk of enemies spawning in directly on the radio while the soldier is digging. They will spawn somewhere else, potentially far enough away that they would not notice that their radio is being dug down. 

So much wrong in this post.

True, there is only one spawn point, BUT and this is a big butt, there is no way except grenades, presumably, to spawnkill people. Now players that spawn in on a HAB don't have to rely on reflexes to kill the camper, instead they can peak through 2(TWO) doors at the same time and thus he cannot kill both of them, all of the time, every time.

I think what we'll be seeing quite a lot is a HAB situated in a position which is far enough away from the FOB itself, but with direct overwatch on it, so that anyone who spawns in can clear the FOB from a distance.

"not notice that their radio is being dug down"
Nothing short of removing the FOB status bar could make that possible, stop being ridiculous.

just tested shoveling up and down a 50cal

it seems it stays operational even when you shovel down the bunker which i didnt know

so who knows how its going to work... no more assumptions for me

37 minutes ago, Flat896 said:

I'd assume that the HAB would take longer to shovel up and down than normal structures. Should end up taking as long as it takes to deactivate spawning on FOBs in V8.

+1

Edited by gshAT

24 minutes ago, Peerun said:

So much wrong in this post.

True, there is only one spawn point, BUT and this is a big butt, there is no way except grenades, presumably, to spawnkill people. Now players that spawn in on a HAB don't have to rely on reflexes to kill the camper, instead they can peak through 2(TWO) doors at the same time and thus he cannot kill both of them, all of the time, every time.

I think what we'll be seeing quite a lot is a HAB situated in a position which is far enough away from the FOB itself, but with direct overwatch on it, so that anyone who spawns in can clear the FOB from a distance.

"not notice that their radio is being dug down"
Nothing short of removing the FOB status bar could make that possible, stop being ridiculous.

Not even sure if you read my entire post. I'm not talking about a single soldier killing all the fresh spawn alone, I'm talking about a single soldier taking down an FOB alone, which is only possible by shoveling down the FOB while simultaneously defending himself (which is impossible). Now with HABs, enemies are not spawning directly onto the guy who is shoveling, removing the need for him to defend himself. I'm not saying that his chances of going undetected are 100%, just that will be better than before HABS. 

Don't get me wrong, I am excited for HABs and really want to see how they will change the game but I am just addressing the quote that was being discussed earlier in the thread: Even though it is more visible, a single enemy will not as easily be able to take down an entire enemy FOB as he cannot kill every new spawn while also taking down the radio, unless the defenders have really poor placement of course. 

It will definitely be more difficult for multiple people to take down an FOB, but for just one guy? I'd say that his chances of taking it down have improved. 

"Nothing short of removing the FOB status bar could make that possible, stop being ridiculous."

You are overestimating the situational awareness of players in public games. I've had a ton of instances where I am the only one to notice that the FOB bar is going down, out of 5+ people within FOB range. Many players will just spawn in and immediately run back to the front line, not checking HUD elements because they are still thinking about how they just died. 

Can we get a some more hints when the update will come(this week I know...)? 1h or 48h ?

Oh, **** me. 
Here we go.

17 minutes ago, Flat896 said:

Not even sure if you read my entire post. I'm not talking about a single soldier killing all the fresh spawn alone, I'm talking about a single soldier taking down an FOB alone, which is only possible by shoveling down the FOB while simultaneously defending himself (which is impossible). Now with HABs, enemies are not spawning directly onto the guy who is shoveling, removing the need for him to defend himself. I'm not saying that his chances of going undetected are 100%, just that will be better than before HABS. 

If you can decimate any newly spawned troops instantly, you have effectively made the FOB unspawnable. This is most likely what they mean by one person taking down an entire FOB.
I am also not quite sure, but I think even one person, if given enough time, can bring the FOB down to a point where it is actually unspawnable, if he can keep the enemy presence to 0 - ie kill anything that spawns.

21 minutes ago, Flat896 said:

It will definitely be more difficult for multiple people to take down an FOB, but for just one guy? I'd say that his chances of taking it down have improved. 

You seem to forget this part of the quote.
unless the defenders have really poor placement of course. 

23 minutes ago, Flat896 said:

"Nothing short of removing the FOB status bar could make that possible, stop being ridiculous."

You are overestimating the situational awareness of players in public games. I've had a ton of instances where I am the only one to notice that the FOB bar is going down, out of 5+ people within FOB range. Many players will just spawn in and immediately run back to the front line, not checking HUD elements because they are still thinking about how they just died. 

Yes, I was not being serious, hence the exaggerated language. I myself, have experience many instances where I was digging out a FOB and people just kept spawning and running away, not caring one bit.

5 minutes ago, Dundish said:

1h or 48h ?

Could be until sunday. We dunno.