molotov

computer upgrade question - need help/advice

I'm looking to upgrade some components of my rig, namely a new GPU and monitor. I'm looking at at a GTX 1080 (future proof) and a 1440 monitor. I'd like to keep the cpu and mb i currently have as long as they wont cause real (noticeable in game play) bottlenecks. Any thoughts about comparability/real bottlenecks are appreciated.

Also, ideas for a monitor?

I'm thinking about either:  ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" or Acer Predator XB271HU 27; both of which are 2560X1440, 144 Hz, IPS, G-Sync.

Current rig:

CPU: Intel i7-4770k 3.5GHZ    GPU: AMD R9 280x  MB: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H  RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8) DDR3 Pro Series    Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz  Power: Corsair RM 1000

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D (Full Case)    OS: Windows 10 64 bit (Official version)

Since you have the K version of your CPU, I assume you're open to the idea of overclocking if your CPU ends up being a bottleneck? In that case, the GPU should suffice for quite some time. 

yes, psyrus. while i'm not knowledgeable about overclocking, i bought the K for when i needed to cross that bridge. thanks for reminding me. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Psyrus said:

If you're looking for future proof, maybe hold off a few weeks until the Ti version of the 1080 is released?

http://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-release-date-news-and-rumors

You dont future proof GPU's ffs man.... you spend as much as you can on your Motherboard, CPU and RAM.... the rest doesn't require you to change other components to upgrade.

ALWAYS spend as much as you can on your core components... a gpu is easy as f'k to upgrade later.... a cpu, mb and ram are not (ram because of the cost) and always be 1 to 2 steps back from the latest gear.

DO NOT buy amd or ati unless you want issues for the life of the machine.... I've spent 20 years building PC's so take my advice as you please.... and ALWAYS build it and NEVER buy pre-fab'd shit aka HP, dell etc etc.

My rig.... $3000AUD ( only the CPU, MOBO, Cooler, RAM, SSD, HDD, GPU and sound card are new... the rest is from my old rig that lasted 7 years and nothing fazed it till arma 3 and squad.)

CASE:        Antec 900
CASE FANS:    4x 120mm, 1x 240mm (blue LED)
PSU:        Corsair HX750w

CPU:         Intel Core i7 6700K Quad Core @4.6GHz
MOBO:        ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger
COOLER:        Noctua NH-D15S Multi-Socket
RAM:        Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
DISK:        Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
DISK2:        Western Digital Black 1TB WD1003FZEX
GPU:        Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE 6GB

SOUND:        Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Fx 5.1
DVDRW:        Samsung DVDR 224DB
MONITOR:    ASUS VK222U
KBM:        Logitech G19 / Razor Imperator
HEADSET:     Astro A40

never drop below 60fps on any game in squad, and no less than 55fps in arma3 both on ultra settings.

Edited by v76

6 minutes ago, v76 said:

You dont future proof GPU's ffs man.... you spend as much as you can on your Motherboard, CPU and RAM.... the rest doesn't require you to change other components to upgrade.

4 hours ago, molotov said:

I'm looking at at a GTX 1080 (future proof) and a 1440 monitor

The OP is the one who was looking to buy a GTX1080, I merely offered him/her some advice regarding that purchase decision. I will be buying a 1060 as well when I upgrade, but not everyone shares that philosophy. No need to freak out about it :) 

@v76 is probably running at 1080p with that fps, not 1440p.  I would copy his setup exactly if he's averaging 60 fps at 1440p.  For GPUs, Nvidia 970 and 1070 or AMD 390 and now 480 are usually the best gpu bang for the buck.  The 1060 is competing for value as well.  I would be surprised if a 1080 is appreciably smoother at 1440p than a 1070 in Squad, enough to justify the cost difference knowing that OWI will probably find more optimization in the game since it is still Alpha.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/

DO NOT buy amd or ati unless you want issues for the life of the machine.... I've spent 20 years building PC's so take my advice as you please.... and ALWAYS build it and NEVER buy pre-fab'd shit aka HP, dell etc etc.

Why? I wouldn't buy an AMD CPU, but GPUs are okay. Yes, they are louder and warmer, but they have an better price-performance ratio.
The second thing is right. Build your PC by yourself, that is not as difficult as it seems.

Posted (edited)

He doesn't need to upgrade anything but the gpu. He should just overclock his cpu and buy either the 1080ti or the 1080 since it's price may be getting cut.

Edited by mrbojangles

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, v76 said:

ALWAYS spend as much as you can on your core components... a gpu is easy as f'k to upgrade later.... a cpu, mb and ram are not (ram because of the cost) and always be 1 to 2 steps back from the latest gear.

My rig.... $3000AUD ( only the CPU, MOBO, Cooler, RAM, SSD, HDD, GPU and sound card are new... the rest is from my old rig that lasted 7 years and nothing fazed it till arma 3 and squad.)

CASE:        Antec 900
CASE FANS:    4x 120mm, 1x 240mm (blue LED)
PSU:        Corsair HX750w

CPU:         Intel Core i7 6700K Quad Core @4.6GHz
MOBO:        ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Ranger
COOLER:        Noctua NH-D15S Multi-Socket
RAM:        Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
DISK:        Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
DISK2:        Western Digital Black 1TB WD1003FZEX
GPU:        Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE 6GB

SOUND:        Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Fx 5.1
DVDRW:        Samsung DVDR 224DB
MONITOR:    ASUS VK222U
KBM:        Logitech G19 / Razor Imperator
HEADSET:     Astro A40

never drop below 60fps on any game in squad, and no less than 55fps in arma3 both on ultra settings.

Here have a 1200 dollar custom liquid cooled amd 5 ghz system and is still running circles around most intel rigs for 3x less the price and have  good quality components, very low temps, high clocks. You can buy dual 1080's/1070's whatever and still have money in excess with your budget man, buy three 480's and still have 1000 dollar in excess of your budget.

Please stop talking if you don't know anything about AMD and are just hating cause you have no clue on how to make a proper system, with real performance  for dollar but just know how to waste extreme amounts of cash and lure people into wasting extreme amounts of money on Intel or other absurd expensive parts but getting almost nothing for it.

It's not good advice to tell people to throw 2000 dollars away.

I can make 2 extreme high end systems with 3000 dollars easily with ton of money saved!

With all respect it's worrying to see some people throw so much money away and your advising people to spend as much money on a cpu as possible is very troublesome if you are claiming to be any decent mechanic that cares about his customers's value.

Edited by MDInteractive

1.) V76 listing and 3k Bugs dont fit either he bought overpriced or can`t calculate.

2.)MD grats on a 5 Ghz Bulldozer with 200W power usage and the need for a customloope to maintain thermal balance that still strugels to run Singelcore heavy Software , a simple Gulftown @ 3,6 Ghz from 2010 for 30 bugs  and cheap aircooler will outperform it i both multicore and singelcore save Power and cost less.

pls post a C15 score a test that scales exceptional well with cores of this Rig ?

If i have to guess some 800ish on a 5 Ghz "8"core cpu

Bulli L5640 @ 3,6Ghz allready gets over 900 points.

Btw a 4 Ghz stock 6700k hits around 890 points in C15 allready more then your Bulli so how should a 4,6GHz clocked one be slower as your 5Ghz CPU ?

So befor you tell other ppl to stop talking because you are right check your facts !

Sorry but i can`t read this shit anymore AMDs Bulldozer line was fail in allmoust every aspect (performance, TDP e.g) you don*`t need to be a Intelfanboy to see thsi.

1080 TI launches today. Not sure if you want to wait for that for some serious future proofing. It boasts ~35% performance increase over 1080.

@Psyrus Why a 1060 and not a 1070? (1080 $$$$$ not worth it)

and when are you back form the Land of the Rising Sun?

3 minutes ago, spookyAUS said:

The 1060 (6gb) is more than enough if you want to play in 1080p.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, spookyAUS said:

Date of return isn't set, but will most likely be within the next 30 months. 

The reasons are threefold:

1. The 1070 costs ~63% more than the 1060 6GB but averages ~20% better performance, and I have no plans to move above 1080p in the near future
  2. I'm saving to move back to Australia (budgeting around 15,000 to 25,000 including the move, restarting-life costs and potential wedding) and want to buy a snowboarding set, so funds are tight
  3. I'm pretty much upgrading for squad, which means I want to go all out on the CPU :) and thus due to budget constraints I have to make sacrifices somewhere.

I have to buy everything from scratch because my girlfriend will take over my current PC so we can game together. But I might end up just saying screw it and buying a 1070 or Vega equivalent at the end of the day :P 

Edited by Psyrus

@Psyrus Once again your down with the good info - been tossing up between a 1060-1070 as old faithful 4gb 680 died and am running a mates old 760.

Good luck with the engagement 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, spookyAUS said:

@Psyrus Once again your down with the good info - been tossing up between a 1060-1070 as old faithful 4gb 680 died and am running a mates old 760.

Good luck with the engagement 

Thanks! If I had cash to spare I would potentially bump up to a 1070 just because 20% extra FPS is not insignificant, but I prefer the same thing as @v76 whereby you go for mid or mid-high range gear but upgrade more often. 

3 hours ago, banOkay said:

480 + Freesync monitor has so much more value than the 1060.

I assume you mean much more value than a 1070? The 1060 and 480 are almost identically priced, and I don't think it helps the R480's chances if you have to buy a $200 monitor on top of it (versus the 1060). If you meant 1070, I could get on board with that line of thinking.

Edit: Another reason why I might pick Nvidia over AMD for the GPU would be a few months ago IronTaxi mentioned that during testing of some kind of dynamic lighting technology, the AMD GPUs struggled while the Nvidia counterparts were just fine. 

Edit2 : Found the post

Edited by Psyrus

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

I assume you mean much more value than a 1070? The 1060 and 480 are almost identically priced, and I don't think it helps the R480's chances if you have to buy a $200 monitor on top of it (versus the 1060). If you meant 1070, I could get on board with that line of thinking.

I run a rx 480 with a freesync monitor, the experience is amazing and much cheaper than similar experience from NVidia. I bought a Microboard m340clz monitor a 34 inch 3440x1440 at 100hz with a freesync range of 42-100, for $699, comparable to the Asus ultrawide that costs $1200. Don't buy into NVidia hype for gaming, just make sure your cpu has good single core speed.

1 minute ago, Rexolaboy said:

I run a rx 480 with a freesync monitor, the experience is amazing and much cheaper than similar experience from NVidia. I bought a Microboard m340clz monitor a 34 inch 3440x1440 at 100hz with a freesync range of 42-100, for $699, comparable to the Asus ultrawide that costs $1200. Don't buy into NVidia hype for gaming, just make sure your cpu has good single core speed.

That's great but it's not what we're talking about. When I'm considering dropping $1000 on just a GPU and monitor, I'll be sure to refer back to your post :)  Also, are you suggesting that IronTaxi is "hyping" Nvidia over AMD?

5 hours ago, Psyrus said:

That's great but it's not what we're talking about. When I'm considering dropping $1000 on just a GPU and monitor, I'll be sure to refer back to your post :)  Also, are you suggesting that IronTaxi is "hyping" Nvidia over AMD?

A Nvidia sponsored engine does some stuff better for Nvidia, what a surprise lol. And the devs didn't include that stuff anyway. I was just saying that once you'll be looking for a new monitor you'd be happier with an RX480 because of FreeSync, performance and price Vs 1060 is about the same anyway.

1 minute ago, banOkay said:

I was just saying that once you'll be looking for a new monitor you'd be happier with an RX480 because of FreeSync, performance and price Vs 1060 is about the same anyway.

Oh for sure when I eventually get back into the market for a new monitor I'll definitely make that consideration. Something for the OP to consider.