Drecks

karasu
Lets name it Karasu

57 posts in this topic
Just now, LugNut said:

AFAIK, there isn't a way to play test yet unfortunately. 

This is correct, you can only "test" in the SDK itself, we will get Steam Workshop support in the future, but at the moment there is no way to use custom content/maps on a server as far as I know.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, LugNut said:

AFAIK, there isn't a way to play test yet unfortunately. 

Since it's a smallish map, like Sumari sized, I have concerns that with vehicles it's going to be a mad rush to backcap the other guys first spawn(s) in AAS. Unlike Sumari, which has numerous choke points, I can foresee infantry running along out in the open while an enemy vehicle blazes past in the other direction. Risky, but would probably work. Since it's a lumbering region, what about adding stumps and some downed trees in specific areas to force vehicles onto roads as well as providing cover for those on foot? That would give LAT a better chance at taking vehicles out. 

I like bridges and rivers, another objective up top would be cool. 

Yeah some good points. As i'm new to Squad its big maps and gameplay its all trial and error for me. More cover for sure will be added. Yeah main spawn positions and distances was my biggest doubt. How about longer captimes or lesser vehicles?

Edited by Drecks

6 minutes ago, Drecks said:

...How about longer captimes or lesser vehicles?

I think you should decide that, some people like smaller combat maps, other people like maps with a lot of vehicles (I am the later one :P).

If you did not do it yet, I highly recommend using the modding discord that was already recommended. A lot of really helpful and nice people in there that can help you with questions about everything modding/mapping related! :)

Posted (edited)

Yeah I should join that discord, meanwhile I think I'm to concerned on performance, but my guess I can drop in far more trees and bushes as I have now. Another question are there any communitymade maps out there and plyed already ?

Edited by Drecks

2 hours ago, Drecks said:

Yeah I should join that discord, meanwhile I think I'm to concerned on performance, but my guess I can drop in far more trees and bushes as I have now. Another question are there any communitymade maps out there and plyed already ?

The map Kokan is made by ChanceBrahh, but it is already in the game, he made a deal with the dev´s. There are no other custom maps playable at the moment.(except the SDK itself)

EDT: Oh and Kokand is also a remake of the old PR mak Kokan.

Thanks for the info. But they must have plans for this otherwise releasing tools to make maps makes no sense. :-)

Yes, they are working on bringing Steam Workshop support to the game. Then everyone can just subscribe to a map and Steam will download it. (And other mods as well)

Lets see the positive side. Until than there I have loads of time to polish. :-)

6 hours ago, Drecks said:

Yeah some good points. As i'm new to Squad its big maps and gameplay its all trial and error for me. More cover for sure will be added. Yeah main spawn positions and distances was my biggest doubt. How about longer captimes or lesser vehicles?

I don't know if you can edit cap timers or respawn timers on vehicles, but if there were just a few and they were thin skinned, I think it would be OK. I think the trend moving forward will be for big maps with every sort of vehicle available now that we have more, so I think an infantry focused, smaller map will be a nice change of pace. 

I can add some size to it to make it 2 KM by 2 KM and started to add more dense areas of forest to add more cover and it looks better.
I noticed the cull distance of the foliage in the stock maps is huge..... Probably they have something flying in mind. 

A little update. Added a minimap. It need some work to make it look more sexy. There are 6 objectives
And it seems to work. Now working to add some more details in the various objectives.
Size of the map is a bit larger compared to Fools road.

minimap.jpg

Posted (edited)

On 22/3/2017 at 11:03 AM, Drecks said:

I can add some size to it to make it 2 KM by 2 KM and started to add more dense areas of forest to add more cover and it looks better.
I noticed the cull distance of the foliage in the stock maps is huge..... Probably they have something flying in mind. 

Yup, helicopters are planned, both transport and attack :) In addition to that tanks and more APCs/IFVs are also comming in the not so distant future as the game will go more and more into the combined arms it was always intented to be about. Thats also why the (newer) maps are getting bigger and bigger. With that said though its totally up to you what kind of gameplay you want your map to focus on, and helicopters for example will never be for all maps. Fools Road with its 2x2km is in the in smaller end of the spectrum and wont get them, whereas the new Gorodok (4x4km) most likely will. (at least for some of its versions)

So if you want infantry and mostly light vehicle combat then i would say you're on the right track. But if you want more heavy vehicles and especially choppers then 3x3km would be my guess for the smallest suitable map size.

Regarding playtesting: Like others have said, theres no way for us to test maps ourselves yet, so the only possibility would be to beg the devs for help. They do closed and semi open playtests of new maps, although so far i dont think they've done any for maps that werent chosen to be added to the game. They did one yesterday for the community made map called "Al Basrah" which will be added to the game later this week for example. I have no idea how much work it takes for them to set up such a test though, so i dont know if they would be willing to do one with you.

Edited by Gorzu

Gorzu, thanks for the info. For this one, my first squad map I will focus on Infantry/small vehicle gameplay and keep it this size. To change all for that would not make sense. With the latest update we had more assets for city maps so a next map will be a larger map. :-). For now I must focus on polishing this map and make it look better and better and hope it will get noticed as a nice addition to play. Well see what happens.

Posted (edited)

Is this map 4x4km?

Edited by DanielNL

1 hour ago, DanielNL said:

Is this map 4x4km?

No its a little bit bigger compared to Fools road. Here is the updated minimap.

minimap-1.jpg

And all the dark-green areas are thick forest? :)

11 hours ago, DanielNL said:

And all the dark-green areas are thick forest? :)

No it has quite some fields also. Probably need to fine tune that in the map.

1 hour ago, Drecks said:

No it has quite some fields also. Probably need to fine tune that in the map.

Would be cool if you can bring in as many elements as possible from the PR map "Kozelsk"! 

I will seek for that map. Don't know much about PR.....:ph34r::ph34r:

You can play it on local server for free :) download on realitymod.com

Last movie I will post. A 9 minute drive around the map. Visiting the 6 objectives.

Looks nice! Already added some tunnel systems? :) (Pleeeease! :D )

nice work, heres to hoping some tunnel system in the future :) 

No tunnelsystem in this one. Busy polishing the map. Fixing things like grass on roads,floating stuff and replacing to close to one another placed trees. Also decorate the objective areas. 

A tunnelsystem in this rural setting does not comes logic to me. When I get home tonight I will post some high res screens.