Drecks

Lets name it Karasu

59 posts in this topic

Hi,

As I bought it almost two weeks ago one can say I'm new to Squad. I do enjoy the game. Inspired by the Gorodok map I decided to install the tools. To see what's possible. I have some experience for other games with older Unreal tools but I have been away from making maps for a while.

As said inspired by Gorodok i decided to start yesterday morning. Must say these tools are very stable and I like the meshes. New to the game I might need help/advice with desired distances and other options. Region is south of Nalchik close to the Caucasus mountains.  Terrain most hills and some flat areas.

As said I'm new to the game so I have to figure out all of the gamemodes and prefered gameplay. It's a new challenge to make this work.

Some teaser screens are made in the editor. Don't even know how to run test a map in Squad  :-)

Karasu3.jpg   Karasu2.jpg

Karasu4.jpg   Karasu.jpg

Thats it for know. I know loads of work needs to be done and I need to learn more about the gamemodes 
and how people like to play Squad. So finishing this might take a while.

Edited by Drecks
Numpty me.

If you ever need any advice/tips/feedback, you should definately check out the Squad Modding Hub Discord. Loads of people on there with knowledge, who are working on similar projects :)

Squad Modding Hub Discord: https://discord.gg/SUm4jZ5

You just couldn't resist could you? lol

Glad to see you getting your hands dirty. Drecks made some great RO2/RS maps for those who dont know, as well as for other games I suspect. He knows his way around....... :)

I couldn't resist. Its have been almost to years now.

Edited by Drecks

WoW... that's long. Well I'm glade you're getting your hands dirty again. :)

Good luck with it! 

Edited by Wolverine

Good luck is what we all need.

So a little update on the Karasu project. The editor still runs smooth. Sometimes it won't let me paint material on the landscape but thats the only issue do far  By now I guess I need to read in the different game modes to add to the map.  And the number of objectives required for good gameplay. So probably I need to play more to get more experience in the game flow.

k1.jpgk2.jpg

k3.jpg

Anyway. More to come next week.

Edited by Drecks

Great, the landscape looks really nice with all of those hills!

Edited by carmikaze

Great to see you in Squad, loved your ro2 maps, so can't wait to play your Squad maps.

Quick tip! when placing foiliage, uncheck "allign to normal" as trees usually grow verticaly, not 90* from the surface :)

1 hour ago, Zeno965 said:

Quick tip! when placing foiliage, uncheck "allign to normal" as trees usually grow verticaly, not 90* from the surface :)

Yeah I understand that thanks for the tip. That foliage tool is nice and this will help. Meanwhile I like some trees to have some angle as in nature not everything is 90*. :-)

Edited by Drecks

On 3/2/2017 at 6:13 AM, Drecks said:

Yeah I understand that thanks for the tip. That foliage tool is nice and this will help. Meanwhile I like some trees to have some angle as in nature not everything is 90*. :-)

I believe there's a variable for random angle. For example if you set it to 5, it will have anywhere from -5 to 5 degrees of tilt, chosen at random.

It helped a lot and work on the map with an editor this smooth is nice. Still have not added any gameplay things like objectives and spawn areas. Need to figure out all of that. Added a nice little stream. It's like Bob Ross all over again.

Karasu44.jpgKarasu33.jpg

Karasu22.jpgKarasu11.jpg

Edited by Drecks

A little update. Two weeks further and a little driving around.

Still lots of work ahead.

Great terrain! :)

My only comment is that the first warehouse that you drive to should have a fence all the way around the yard, not just on the road side. It could be already breached of course if your intent is to make it easy to get inside of. 

And a new update. Driving around in the BTR. Leavin Russian spawn to the area where it seems to happen.
Still Loads of work ahead.

Looking good! And when V9 of Squad drops (any day now! Or 3 weeks if you ask reddit xD) i think it will bring some new statics and things that might be usefull for you on this map, since Gorodok that you mentioned as inspiration is being significantly expanded. (from ~2x2 to 4x4 km) How big is yours roughly? Its hard to tell from just driving around :)

6 hours ago, Gorzu said:

Looking good! And when V9 of Squad drops (any day now! Or 3 weeks if you ask reddit xD) i think it will bring some new statics and things that might be usefull for you on this map, since Gorodok that you mentioned as inspiration is being significantly expanded. (from ~2x2 to 4x4 km) How big is yours roughly? Its hard to tell from just driving around :)

Size now about 1800 by 1800 meter...... Need to figure out stuff like objectives and gamemodes. I found the tutorials on this forum. I will see what new assets there will be in the update.

21 hours ago, LugNut said:

I like this a lot

Thanks, I did set the required gamemode, teams and ticketcount in the Wordlsettings and have added the Russian and Militia spawn areas, player spawns and vehicle spawns. I added 5 objectives. I copied it all from Gorodok and renamed them. They seem to work in the editor when I arrive at the objectives. I have no idea on how to prepare the map to test this all. But time enough to get there is loads of work to be done.  Have to wait for an SDK update anyway with the new assets.

Here a topview with the 5 objectives.

1 - Abandoned Base (Old abandoned Russian base)

2 - Krasno Polije  (A small rural village)

3 - Road Warehouse (Warehouse at the main road)

4 - Karasu  (A small rural village)
5 - Wood storage (Somesort of Lumbercamp)

map.jpg 

I want to add a 6th objective across the river on top of this map.

Any help with the objectives and how to prepare the map for a test is appreciated.

Here another drive leaving Militia Spawn

AFAIK, there isn't a way to play test yet unfortunately. 

Since it's a smallish map, like Sumari sized, I have concerns that with vehicles it's going to be a mad rush to backcap the other guys first spawn(s) in AAS. Unlike Sumari, which has numerous choke points, I can foresee infantry running along out in the open while an enemy vehicle blazes past in the other direction. Risky, but would probably work. Since it's a lumbering region, what about adding stumps and some downed trees in specific areas to force vehicles onto roads as well as providing cover for those on foot? That would give LAT a better chance at taking vehicles out. 

I like bridges and rivers, another objective up top would be cool.