Peerun

Adaptive Height System

Peerun   

In the recaps, we've seen vaulting over walls and this is what I am basing my suggestion on.
Presumably, to vault over a wall you have to walk towards it and hit a key - probably the jump key - unless it's tied to sprint instead, but it doesn't really matter. There's also some debug text in the videos, telling you how high the wall is and whether it's a wall you can vault over or climb.
To recap, the game seems to do 3 things: make sure you are walking towards the wall, measures the wall, makes the character climb over when a key is pressed
Now to the suggestion...
You know how, when you walk into a wall and keep holding W(or other movement key), the character just keeps walking even though there's nowhere for him to go any further?
Now imagine that when you walk up to the wall, your character gets blocked and can't walk any further - the walking animation stops. 
Once you're in close enough to a wall for this to happen, you can keep holding W(or A if you're standing sideways, etc.) and your character will adjust his stance depending on how high the wall is, in relation to his gun.

If the wall is higher than the barrel, when standing - the character will only raise his weapon to blind fire over the wall, unless it's too high.
If the wall is higher than the barrel, when crouched - the character will raise his body to shoot over the wall, unless it's too high.
If the wall is higher than the barrel, when he is prone - the character will raise himself with his arm to shoot over the wall, unless it's too high.

Moving towards the wall at an angle other than 90, stopping movement and changing stance disables the cover animation.
As long as the player is in this cover state his upper body is disconnected, as shown in the recap, to allow him to aim - without moving at a different angle towards the wall other than 90(+-), thus disabling the stance by accident.

There could be only a limited number of stance heights, which would mean that unless the stance height and the wall height match, ie when prone and the barrel is actually floating above the wall the player would receive a nerf for aiming because he's only holding his rifle with one hand. Whereas, if the stance and the wall height match, the sway would stay the same or when crouching or standing the player would get a bonus, because he's using the cover as he would a bipod.
Of course, it goes without saying, that heavy weapons like LMGs would become nearly useless, when either in the prone stance and not resting the barrel on the wall or when lifting the gun above a wall when standing.

I suppose another way to implement this, would be to have the player's character adapt to the height of a specific wall perfectly and put him in a bipod animation, to let him also aim up and down to a greater extent - raising and lowering his body when he aims down or up - like in a DShK technical. Although, that might make it a bit OP.
A mix, where the character's stance height is not always perfect, but his body raises up and down would probably be a good compromise - that way the player gets to shoot up and down the wall without worrying about the weapon clipping through it, but he doesn't always get the weapon-resting bonus. 

Additionally, this could be merged with the bipod system, so that if the weapon has a bipod and the bipod is deployed, the game calculates the height in relation to the bipod and not the barrel and that way, when the height matches - the player gets an even larger bonus for resting his weapon.

Edited by Peerun

suds   

Any system needs to be very careful not to obstruct basic movement. Eg if you walk into cover knowing there is enemy who will shoot you if exposed but the climb animation starts then you will rage as you get shot, ragequits will ruin the game.

remember the cod4 climb? if you jump in the wrong place you suddenly lose control of your character.

I think the climb animations should be a combination keypress or at the very least a specific bind. Eg Press both LEAN keys at once and then JUMP OR hold FORWARD + CROUCH and then press JUMP. All very easy for a typical gamer but giving full control over the action occuring. Also those movements can imitate someone springing from a crouch.

Varied stance heights would be nice, i'd be happy to scroll the mouse wheel while ADS was active and have it gradually move up. 

Peerun   
On 27. 2. 2017 at 2:23 PM, suds said:

Any system needs to be very careful not to obstruct basic movement. Eg if you walk into cover knowing there is enemy who will shoot you if exposed but the climb animation starts then you will rage as you get shot, ragequits will ruin the game.

remember the cod4 climb? if you jump in the wrong place you suddenly lose control of your character.

I think the climb animations should be a combination keypress or at the very least a specific bind. Eg Press both LEAN keys at once and then JUMP OR hold FORWARD + CROUCH and then press JUMP. All very easy for a typical gamer but giving full control over the action occuring. Also those movements can imitate someone springing from a crouch.

Varied stance heights would be nice, i'd be happy to scroll the mouse wheel while ADS was active and have it gradually move up. 

Well, there would obviously need to be a delay to make it controlable. I think a wwwwwww is a good amount.

Macross   

Or lets add manually adjustable character height, by using mouse scroll you could go from lying down to fully stand height?