alcatraz0001

Free look & weapon rest position

44 posts in this topic

Personally, I think this would add another level of realism to the game. Free look in the way that Arma does it (maybe a bit different). And, instead of having weapons in a constant up position, why not in the ready position? You bring the weapon up when ready to fire, and lower it when not in contact. It'd be simple enough to do, considering I've seen people do crazier things than that. 

i don't think that SQUAD is striving for realism (anymore?) so i doubt there will be anything like wepon rest/wepon placement.

free look seems to be implemented soon, there is a video showing free look being worked on.

While the weapon will always stay Ready in 1P, Low Ready will sometimes happen in 3P. We feel 1P shouldn't ever look empty, and overall 3P visual could get a bit of love such as this.

56 minutes ago, alex.sweedensniiperr said:

what would that add to the game?

realism/immersion?

51 minutes ago, KaB said:

While the weapon will always stay Ready in 1P, Low Ready will sometimes happen in 3P. We feel 1P shouldn't ever look empty, and overall 3P visual could get a bit of love such as this.

It always looks odd when a group of players are running in a line with their weapons pointed at the back of the friendly in front of them, so it's good news that you guys are adding those 3p animations.

1 hour ago, KaB said:

may i ask what 1P and 3P actually stands for?

2 minutes ago, FIXXXER said:

may i ask what 1P and 3P actually stands for?

1P stands for first person. This is everything the player is the only one to see, which is usually his hands, his weapon, and sometimes his legs. And 3P stands for third person, and is the way you see other players (and the way the other players see you). Most of the games make 1P looking different from 3P so that the 1P remains as intuitive as possible.

Some games display the same things in 1P and 3P (as Squad currently). This is called "True 1P", but most of the FPS games do what I described above.

thanks for the info, i am even more confused right now!

does this mean that you are planing to abandon true1P in the future?

2 hours ago, KaB said:

Yay

5 minutes ago, TheSCRUB said:

I'm guessing some type of weapon resting may come with bipods? 

Yep

24 minutes ago, KaB said:

Yea that's the plan.

oh, that's actually some bad news. is there a particular reason for this decision?

7 minutes ago, FIXXXER said:

oh, that's actually some bad news. is there a particular reason for this decision?

How is that bad news? It has been requested that there be resting for bipod weapons for a really long time, and they showed an example of a rough implementation in a recap a while back.

Edit: Here is the recap it was in http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=135

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

yeah, weapon resting and bipods would be nice but not by sacrificing true first person view! ;)

8 minutes ago, FIXXXER said:

yeah, weapon resting and bipods would be nice but not by sacrificing true first person view! ;)

I would say that the true first person was detrimental to the rest of the features they want to implement, such as freelook, part of the reason they are moving away from it. A split system allows for significantly more flexibility. 

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

Artistically True 1P is the worst thing that could be done. It's limiting animators who want to polish 1P view and offer the players a nice and smooth motion to what they have right in front of them, and also designers who want to implement complex features.

It also makes the character sliding when the player is turning, and it makes Squad looking like a 10 years old game.

Hmm, yeah. A reoccurring theme seems to be people not actually understanding what true first person is - a majority of people have some serious misconceptions about it and think removing it / using a different method is a negative thing.

I'm looking forward to the really awesome stuff that's already been shown, and that's only a fraction of it. Animators and designers will have a lot more fun and the game will look and, more importantly, feel a lot better.

47 minutes ago, KaB said:

It also makes the character sliding when the player is turning, and it makes Squad looking like a 10 years old game.

Yeah changing this up will make animations look so much cleaner. Separate question, will 3P character models lean over when sprinting and turning or is that not planned?

1 hour ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

I would say that the true first person was detrimental to the rest of the features they want to implement, such as freelook, part of the reason they are moving away from it. A split system allows for significantly more flexibility. 

well, i do not know anything technical about this, so maybe i do not exactly understand how this is done but just from a logical point of view, if you make the 3P animations absolutely correct and then place the "camera/view" into first person shouldn't this automatically result in an accurate, true 1st person view?

for example, if you animate the head so that it can move anywhere and not firther than a real persons head would be able to move and place the camera into first person wouldn't that represent a highly realistic and logical view in first person regarding free look? my thoughts are simple i know, i guess recreating this

is way more complicated...

1 hour ago, KaB said:

Artistically True 1P is the worst thing that could be done. It's limiting animators who want to polish 1P view and offer the players a nice and smooth motion to what they have right in front of them, and also designers who want to implement complex features.

i understand but i am not sure if making the game look more artistic will make the game actually better, maybe i am still looking for that

realistic SQUAD game. as for the character sliding when turning, this seems like a 3P and not a 1P problem to me, if you get the 3P animations 100% right the

1P should "follow". it's jsut a thought, i do not know how game engines work, maybe the UE i simply not capable of doing this.

36 minutes ago, Assifuah said:

Hmm, yeah. A reoccurring theme seems to be people not actually understanding what true first person is - a majority of people have some serious misconceptions about it and think removing it / using a different method is a negative thing.

I'm looking forward to the really awesome stuff that's already been shown, and that's only a fraction of it. Animators and designers will have a lot more fun and the game will look and, more importantly, feel a lot better.

let's assume i really do not understand it, could you explain it to me in simple wirds pelease?

EDIT: btw i do not care if the game features a triúe 1st person view or not as long as ther animations look correct and do not interfere with the gameplay.

Edited by FIXXXER

14 minutes ago, FIXXXER said:

i understand but i am not sure if making the game look more artistic will make the game actually better, maybe i am still looking for that

realistic SQUAD game. as for the character sliding when turning, this seems like a 3P and not a 1P problem to me, if you get the 3P animations 100% right the

1P should "follow". it's jsut a thought, i do not know how game engines work, maybe the UE i simply not capable of doing this.

Thing is human brain is able to compensate the shaking your entire body is applying to your head, which makes your view staying very steady. If this thing wouldn't exist you'd want to throw up everytime you walk (kinda what happens when you're sick or drunk). That's a fact and proves True 1P is scientifically wrong too.

Also fixing the 3P to get something right in 1P (like that sliding issue) is technically and humanly close to impossible. I invite you to go do some gaming dev and make your own opinion.

no offense i am just trying to understand how things are working!

also, not a long time ago true 1st person view was stated as a feature in SQUAD and now it's being abandoned, this is confusing...

actually i do not care if the game has true 1st person view as long as the 1st person animations look good/realistic and as long as

the the 3rd person animations do not completely deviate from the 1st person view like the 1st person view showing the player with a

pointed gun and the 3rd person view showing the weapon resting down ;)

from a player pov, nothing has actually changed really. Youll still be able to see your body, it just means we can move things round a bit for first person view. A good example is weapon aiming. When aiming at the moment, we cant pull the weapon closer than now, as the buttstock starts clipping into the shoulder. With the new system, we can have different animations for 1st and 3rd person, so from 3rd person, the guy is aiming one way, but for 1st person we can bring the sights closer for a better sight picture.

Same kinda thing for things like vaulting actually make the experience nicer, not worse.

4 hours ago, KaB said:

This will be a very welcome addition IMO, it works really well in PR.