Merlin

Game Title Opinions And Suggestions

This is personal opinion, but suggestions should steer clear of colons and latin. It's obviously preferable to be succinct, with three or fewer words in the title. It has to be accessible, easy to read, and easy to pronounce. I'd also like to see suggestions drop the use of Squad altogether, as this thread doesn't exist to extend or modify a current name which we already acknowledge as flawed. Titles don't have to be military-themed nor do they have to embody the subject matter of the game, in the event that they seem to embody a feeling that we're trying to instill in a player.

I want to reiterate this point because I believe it is important.

As a game we really would like to stick out, and at this stage I see two good options:

• We double down on Squad. While it is certainly flawed in that it is especially hard to find on search engines and may cause confusion, over time it will build its own level of uniqueness and should definitely work as a game title (as evidenced by the common casual usage on the forums here). It is easy to remember, compelling, generates intrigue, and captures the spirit of the game.
  • We pick something completely different and market with that. Something like the Chain of Command or Overwatch as suggested in this thread. While it may generate a small amount of confusion early on among the people we have already reached out to, and it will likely be a pain moving all of our marketing accounts to a new name, it really won't be that bad when you consider how much ground we have yet to cover marketing wise in the future. At this point we are still well underneath the radar (intentionally), and mostly composed of PR players. Changing the name should be a straightforward operation.

Having talked about it amongst the team, we really don't think that adding some sort of Suffix to the name is the way to go. While it adds uniqueness, it only causes more confusion and makes the title a great deal more wordy and hard to remember. For people searching for just "Squad" it would make the game even harder to find if we are including some sort of suffix and diluting how much value we place in Squad as a title. The fact that generally such title's are used with sequels and expansion packs / DLC detracts even further.

So to people in this thread I would encourage you to continue coming up with as many more cool and unique titles as you can, but at this point refrain from suggestions of Squad: Some Title, as we are probably not going to go that route.

The short version is that while Squad as a title is flawed, it sounds good, is compelling, and will get the job done as a game title (although I know many would contest that). But if someone comes up with a really good completely different title that captures the spirit of the game, it is certainly not too late to completely change it at this stage and we are prepared to do so.

As a side note, we can't use Overwatch as it is currently trademarked as a video game title by Blizzard.

Bottom line though, more ideas!

Are you asking for actual suggestions for a game name?

I am assuming that Squad will be strictly a Modern day tactical FPS that will depict conflicts in the Middle East, China, and Europe. If this is the case, then I guess it'll have to have a vague sort of name, like "Armed Assault" or "Combined Arms" that is inclusive of all factions and eras in the game... which is kind of challenging to think of.

So to people in this thread I would encourage you to continue coming up with as many more cool and unique titles as you can, but at this point refrain from suggestions of Squad: Some Title, as we are probably not going to go that route.

Remove that option from the poll, pl0x.

All For One

Blood Brothers

Men-at-Arms

Honour - Valour - Pride (stole that from Bolt Thrower)

And basically any song or album title by Bolt Thrower

I think people really underestimate how easily a game can scale the ranks of google. You have a huge network of people who all talk about the game on external forums like reddit, on youtube, sites write articles on the game, and you have the ability to land on Steam's front page.

I won't rule out the possibility of a better name, but it really won't be nearly as hard as some people think.

Also single word names are all the rage these days in gaming.

I think people really underestimate how easily a game can scale the ranks of google. You have a huge network of people who all talk about the game on external forums like reddit, on youtube, sites write articles on the game, and you have the ability to land on Steam's front page.I won't rule out the possibility of a better name, but it really won't be nearly as hard as some people think.Also single word names are all the rage these days in gaming.

I like this mans thinking.

Remove that option from the poll, pl0x.

For now I've removed the poll since we've got a pretty good idea of what the spread is on people's opinions. We may introduce a new poll later once we've got some more ideas with the best ones.

Here's a list of cool single name titles that i've stolen from a certain band

Cenotaph

War

Domination

Spearhead

Zeroed

Honour

Valour

Entrenched

Salvo

"Squad" fits perfectly for the game

it's meant to be a teamwork based game, where everybody is basically supposed to be in a squad helping their mates.

And for the search mechanisms, just use "game" after the name, like "squad game forums" and etc. 10/10 works everytime i tried with any other game that isn't a triple A title.

SQUAD

SQUAD

SQUAD

Rally Point

Contact Front

Stand To

Down Range

Belt-Fed

Dust Off

Hostile

Wheels Up

SQUAD

SQUAD

SQUAD

Hard to find ones that don't make it sound like the next Call of Duty game.

P L A T O O NIt's like Squad, but I think it'll be more search-engine friendly. The only conflict there might be is with that old Vietnam War movie (from the 70s I think), which is also called "Platoon".

Some other ideas:

Opposing Force

Detachment

Battalion

Defilade

Enfilade

It would be a lot easier to think of names if the game depicted a historical event. I always thought names like "Red Orchestra" (WWII Eastern Front), "Nostrum Mare" WWII North Africa), "Rising Storm" (WWII Japan vs USA) are excellent striking names that give you a good impression of what the game is about.

I suggest a single-but-motafakin'-awesome word to the game, like Arma, Battlefield or Insurgency. This bring strength, uniqueness and open space for future iterations like "GameName: Future Iteration" or "Gamename: Community Mod".For now, I'll stick with Deployment or Overwatch, these may not be the best name possible, but they are the two that I find most fitting. Platoon is also a reasonable name, but it sound a bit general, in my humble opinion. 

Yeah, I think at least here in the U.S. Platoon wouldn't work because it is a pretty well known movie and you'd have a tough time toppling it from the top of the Google search