SpecialAgentJohnson

Why is development so slow? / prioritization

81 posts in this topic
On 2/16/2017 at 1:12 AM, Verdin said:

It's posted (presumably) by OWI , on your own press page.

Factsheet

Developer:
Offworld Industries
Based in Vancouver, BC, Canada

Release date:
Alpha Early Access - December 2015;

Final Version - Expected mid 2017

http://press.joinsquad.com/sheet.php?p=squad

The Steam store page also states that the game is expected to come out of early access (commonly translated as final version or full release) mid 2017.

So evidently someone in the development team thinks (or thought) you guys were further along in development than you actually are, as those changes were made just a few months ago. 

i think you are interpreting come out of early access = the game is done. 

That is pretty bad wording though i agree!  Final version should not be stated there. 

On 2/16/2017 at 6:28 AM, Ratface said:

It's already been stated that chances are there will be no specified sniper class. Closest thing to that will be the Marksman class once deeper zoom scopes are developed.

I am sure it will more or less fill the role just wont be a barrett 50cal camping rifle to shoot from 2km with. hehe

9 hours ago, CR8Z said:

This game is constantly evolving, growing, improving, and providing endless hours of fun. To be honest, if they simply released a complete game with nothing more to add, the game would be dead within a year at best. Just see every other EA game, and you can hardly call those complete.

Lately, Squad has felt increasingly more like PR and has garnered nearly all of my limited game time. PR was a game that was never the same and always offered a different challenge. Squad is aspiring to this, and I believe they are on the right track to achieve it. 

This game would have died like so many others had they simply tried to dump unfinished content on the masses and hoped for the best. I for one am content with the schedule that they have laid out, and for the most part, I believe they have stuck to and or exceeded. 

How many games have you shelled out good money for only to find out that whatever you bought was an unfinished, final product? Too many, I'm sure.

This is long ball. These guys are dedicated to the community because the community is dedicated to them. Neither one would exist without the other. 

I agree and this is kind of why i spend so much time shaking my head at the forum posts..   say what you want.. people purchase the game and play it.. no amount of speculation about what we are / aren't doing right is going to change that outcome.  (our daily sales are incredibly stable and we are still exceeding our burn rate daily. In addition we have a very healthy and well budgeted reserve to continue building squad for a good while to come) 

The assumptions are just that.. not based on a full picture. 

Even when someone says "I am a developer i know" thats completely cockypop as 99% of developers are not the financial arm of their studio or in any way involved in it (coders and artists running a finance department??) 

We are a studio owned by its employees with a strong business and marketing background even before video games. One thing I know is we absolutely and without question are in a financial position to finish squad in whatever amount of time it takes us. 

Regarding coming out of early access: Its really important to us to put a stamp on our core game before we add more extensive content like PR did. Much like rainbow siege when it came out.. the game won't be "finished" at that point but we will use it as an opportunity to enter the greater market with our core game and code in the stable state that we want it to be in. (in addition to all the fundamental mechanics) 

So feel free to speculate our demise or our failures but it won't affect our outcomes. We know where we are going. (Don't expect me always to take it seriously either if you have absolutely no background in business) 

14 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

So feel free to speculate our demise or our failures but it won't affect our outcomes. We know where we are going. (Don't expect me always to take it seriously either if you have absolutely no background in business) 

This so much, nice wording 

1 hour ago, chaz69 said:

" Choppers were prob the best part of PR. Shooting them down too.  "

so you're already bored/tired of the x-axis fighting. got it.

X-axis seems a bit one-dimensional yes. Rather we have at least also the Y-axis involved. Z even better. 

3 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

i think you are interpreting come out of early access = the game is done. 

That is pretty bad wording though i agree!  Final version should not be stated there. 

Thank you for your answer, good sir. It clarifies some things for me