Peerun

Autobalance based on hours played

Hours played are not a very accurate inidication of the player's ability, I'm afraid. You can have 1000+ hours on Squad and still be a bad squad leader, because being a good squad leader has less to do with time spent (obviously, you need a certain amount of experience too) and more with personal qualities and prioritizing helping the team instead of seeking self-gratification. Maybe just balancing the number of people who have less than a certain number of hours played, e.g. 100-200, that could work better, but it would still create unnecessary trouble for people running training squads or teaching their friends who are new to the game by breaking them up into separate teams every now and then.

I'm not sure you can address this problem by implementing new features without creating more problems in the process, I remember that in PR if teams were too unbalanced, the admins usually resorted to asking some of the clan or well-performing squads to switch team next round, that worked. OR you could leave it up to chance and if one team won by a large amount of tickets, say by more than 50% of the starting ticket amount, then you'd have the server automatically scramble the teams. The only problem with this second approach is that it would once again break up clanmates and people playing together, so I don't think this is a valid solution either.

Edited by MultiSquid

You should have a team shuffle that takes into account tags(Or other ID). If you have 4 guys with a RIP tag, they'll get shuffled over on the same team. So, instead of shuffling the entire teams randomly, it moves groups of players around.

LugNut   

If the game gets more complicated, as I expect, it will be harder for new players to get up to speed, giving an even greater advantage to the experienced player and team. I haven't played a match lately that was close, it's usually one team crushing the other. There seemed to be far more close matches last fall/summer. Part of it is the fact that vehicles + plus insta fob are tools that enable a match to swing widely in the favor of the better team. Those sort of things will change as the game progresses, but the need for better team balancing will always be there. 

Edited by LugNut

Peerun   
On 4. 2. 2017 at 5:43 PM, Tartantyco said:

You should have a team shuffle that takes into account tags(Or other ID). If you have 4 guys with a RIP tag, they'll get shuffled over on the same team. So, instead of shuffling the entire teams randomly, it moves groups of players around.

Exactly. 
Moves groups together while balancing out the hours by auto-balancing randoms. Or hopefully pitches a different clan also on the server against the first one.
Would be even easier, if there was party join function.

Bumping this thread as I think this is a big problem in public servers now. Teams get steam rolled one round after another with no intervention from admins. It's a huge turn off to new players and casual players just looking for a fun balanced match. I'm sick and tired of joining every server to be put on the team with 7 less players backed up to their main base. Does the auto-balance function even work? Or maybe I should just join a clan and start being on the team that's doing the steam-rolling? Oh wait I can't even join that team because they already have way more players then the team I'm on...

Squad is supposed to be getting player stat tracking in the future at some point. Hopefully the devs will be able to include an autoballance function based on something like a players average score per round rather than something like hours played which has little bearing on their skill level.

Peerun   
3 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

Squad is supposed to be getting player stat tracking in the future at some point. Hopefully the devs will be able to include an autoballance function based on something like a players average score per round rather than something like hours played which has little bearing on their skill level.

That would be great.