Axton

[Free Assets] Oil Jack and Modular/Spline Pipeline Set

Hey all! I've spent the last few days making some more free assets to use in your maps. This time I've whipped up an oil pump jack model and a fully modular, spline compatible, pipeline set.

Here's all the assets:

480XNvg.jpg

You can spline them!

TD1iLHh.jpg

Splines and statics combine seamlessly! (Make sure the spline width is 55 for them to be the same size)

ElKj7xl.jpg

You can even go over stuff!

Eid6XYB.jpg

Or you can just use the normal statics!

WvH4xia.jpg

The Pumpjack ain't too bad to look at either:

gU9A7Rt.jpg

Installation:

1. Unpack the downloaded .rar file to your Content directory (Anywhere else and it will not work)

2. UE4 should import the assets automatically, if not attempt to import them manually.

3. Done!

A few tips on using these assets:

You can change the color of the pipes in the material instance!

Don't be afraid to use a bunch of the static pipes! They're fully LOD'd and well optimized.

Try not to make sharp corners in the spline pipes, or the collisions may not match up!

When using the spline pipes, be sure to uncheck "Scale to Width" (Right under where you add the mesh to the spline)

If you're using a lot of the splines, make sure they have a cull distance set! Each spline pipe has 700 polygons, so it adds up somewhat quick. 

DON'T use the spline pipes as statics or vice versa, the splines have no LODs and the statics aren't high poly enough for splines!

Here's the Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3nhvab6yla8br8z/Pipeline-Pump.rar

If you have any suggestions or requests for other simple modular sets I should make please say so! :) 

Edited by Axton

Very nice work! 

6 hours ago, Axton said:

If you're using a lot of the splines, make sure they have a cull distance set! Each spline pipe has 700 polygons, so it adds up somewhat quick. 

Is that a technical limitation due to the way splines work? (Sorry I haven't worked with them at all before)

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

Very nice work! 

Is that a technical limitation due to the way splines work? (Sorry I haven't worked with them at all before)

Unfortunately yes, LODs don't really work with splines because they require a lot of polygons to be able to stretch/curve meshes. The best thing to do is use splines sparingly, and set their cull distance as close as gameplay allows.

what relationship does oil have to conflict zones?

oh wait....

:)

Nice work