Endgame

Returned and left again

Hey there SQUAD devs and/or community management,

i thought that i should give my feedback to the developers on this game, since i'm a backer and did put about 700hours into it, right after launch.

I stopped playing Squad about 6 or more months ago because of the poor game performance and the lack of improvement in that area.

Yesterday i came back to see how this game developed over the past months and if it's worth putting my everyday afternoon gaming time into it.

Today i decided: It is not.

Warning: This isn't supposed to be a hate thread and i also don't want to trigger the overly attached hardcode fan bunnies (is BLITZA still here?), but i feel like giving you - the devs - my opinion on the games current state.

First off: i really like that vehicles are now in the game and i've also tested some of the new weapons. Both looked and worked better then expected (still having arma2 flashbacks, when i think about vehicles). Effects and sound design improved as well.

However, all of this i couldn't really enjoy, because of the - still - poor performance of this game. Don't get me wrong, this is much better compared to the first few months after the game release, but it's still not even close to where a multiplayer FPS title should be - not even in alpha.

I experienced FPS drops, i experienced low average FPS, i experienced mouse input lags and i experienced hit-reg desyncs.

For me, as a longterm FPS fan, these are things which make a game fun and playable, or not fun and not playable to me.

Squad went a long way already with its performance topic when i was still playing. But where are you guys now?

It's over a year since release now and this game is still nothing to take really serious on the multiplayer FPS market.

If you can't expect a first person shooter, where you rely on reflexes, aim, fast decision making (and alot more), to run at least on a stable frame rate of - let's say - 60 FPS, you did something wrong. If you can't expect the game to always register your fired bullets correctly and with (almost) no time lag, you did something wrong. If you can't expect the game to not let you randomly drop to 20 fps, even while you are in a building with almost no players on the server, you did something wrong.

Squad is the most atmospheric shooter i've ever played. I've played tourney matches with my old team, i've played hundreds of public matches with new and veteran players and i was a active community member for a quite long time.

I just really hope that you guys gonna start changing priorities in your product management team.

Why would you add more performance hungry features, when even the base game is still not running how it is supposed to be?

Yea, i know.. "That's how alphas work. First: add all features, then you improve performance". No! That's not how it works. You can't take this as an excuse for a whole year, while still working on new performance hungry features.

Who will be left in the end? If this game will ever be "totally finished", with working FPS performance coming with the last update, i'm asking: who will be left?

This early access phase IS your published content. It IS what the people are playing and talking about. It IS what players will stop recommend or give a bad rating.

You guys already know that it's simply not possible with the current engine state, to give a stable performance, while still trying to reach your "100 vs 100 players on a map big like half the Iraq" vision. The questions are: will you guys still trying to push out content and hope that there will be some players left who don't care about a stable game performance in the end? Or will you guys change your vision and adjust your game goals to reach the standard of modern shooters game performance?

Only you guys know, but i will not be around to find out.

--- 

To whoever feels triggered right now (in the months i was active at the forums, there was alot of easily triggered people here):

- Game was played on a i7 5820K, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 980Ti, Win10 - average FPS were 40.

- Yes, i tried every in-game setting combination to try improve the performance

- Yes, i could have turned my resolution down to 640x480 with everything on low, to get stable and high fps. I would have chosen this option if this game isn't about spotting players on long distances and long to med range fithing.

- Yes, i know how to tweak stuff in the game config files to try to improve the performance (is it still possible to turn off shadows and foliage? ;-))

- Yes, i get it, "Squad isn't made for me" and "i am an ******". I "should really go play CoD or CS", since those are the only games where performance matters.

- Yes, i know, you guys get "good FPS, game feels totally smooth to me" - even if most of you guys don't even know how to turn on a fps display. As an addition here: it still doesn't count when you get 60+ FPS ONCE at firing range, while looking at a wall. It only matters what your average FPS line is, while you are in a live game with the max possible - by the devs recommended - amount of players on a server.

- Yes, i know. Netcode isn't something which matters in this game, since it's not about hitting moving targets, it's about just spraying bullets all around, so we can all feel like real life soldiers.

---

Thanks for reading. Goodbye.

Endgame

Edited by Endgame

Complaining that your not getting 60+ fps isn't a statement about gameplay.  Fps isn't the end all of gaming.  

Playing at 3440 x 1440 and getting 40+ at epic. You sure your not having issues, that you can't resolve with setting.  

Happy gaming. 

Welcome back to Squad @Endgame,

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

[...]

I stopped playing Squad about 6 or more months ago because of the poor game performance and the lack of improvement in that area.

Yesterday i came back to see how this game developed over the past months and if it's worth putting my everyday afternoon gaming time into it.

[...]

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

[...]

If you can't expect the game to not let you randomly drop to 20 fps, even while you are in a building with almost no players on the server, you did something wrong.

[...]

Due to these statements, I assume you had Squad installed for quite some time.

I'd suggest you to clear the game cache user data in the settings (see picture)

NKU8b1o.png

It is known, that outdated config files mess with the performance. - Just give it a try. Maybe you'll have a better experience.

Thats a beast PC you should easily be able to run it on high settings with high FPS.

I got I7 3820, GTX660oc, 16gb RAM and running high graphics with decent fps. Ofcourse I would like to have more FPS to easily kill exploiters in the game, I guess that will come with time but with your machine you can have much better performance than what I pull out with my machine.

Best of luck to you
Rain

What is your internet connection speed?  You got a wireless router?  Who is your ISP?  Do you live far away from city in the boonies? You in USA?

It will get better mate @Endgame I've total faith in our Devs (Fingers & toes crossed). ;)

9 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

What is your internet connection speed?  You got a wireless router?  Who is your ISP?  Do you live far away from city in the boonies? You in USA?

I think his Location: Is Germany!?. :D

i have a crappy pc 2500k +780 gtx 3gb

I barely drop under 35 fps with medium settings, runs tourney mode.

Running on windows 10 is also a problem. Make sure that xbox DVR app crap is disabled.

because if a i5 4690k, a GTX 750ti can do a solid 60 on most maps with medium settings (gorodok pls no more trees) than something is wrong somewhere

Edited by homfri

It's important to remember the primary optimization stage isn't until Beta. No point adding in content, only to optimize, only to add in more content - and repeat. 

Might as well get all of the content out of the way to build the game, then once it's near complete, go ahead and polish it/optimize it to make it playable. Which is what OWI plans on doing. There's no point expecting early access games/games in Alpha to being well optimized right off the bat (not saying you're making such an assumption).

2SZKTRl.png

Edited by LMR Sahara

I'm just gonna ignore the comments witch try to find a relation between FPS drops and internet connections and the comment posters who obviously didn't read the full text and still decided to post something "very clever".

I'm running Win10 on full gaming optimized settings. I did a fresh install of Squad, verified the chache and cleared the game chache user date, before starting to test the game.

18 hours ago, Imprezagm4 said:

I have a mediocre PC compared to yours and get 60fps on average at high settings.

I know i'm gonna regret this.. but: can you show me any evidence of that? a video for example? 

I would really like to see a video where a player with my PC Specs (or lower) runs Squad on 1920x1080 Reso, medium (or higher) settings, on a  full 70 slot server, getting a CONSTANT framerate of 60 or higher (visible in the video).

I would also really like to see that you don't get any mouse in-put lags, flickering or hit desyncs (aka broken netcode).

If you show me this video (preferably about 10mins long and active fights in it), i will donate you 100$. I'm not joking.

---

Oh. And "Hi"to Arcapse and the rest i know!

I run around 50 fps average, but it feels smooth. v7 was unplayable on full servers (around 40 fps and just plain felt bad), but in v8 I rarely consider the performance when Im playing. Skylake 6600 and nvidia 970.

Can't believe you getting that drops to 20fps with your PC. I hope you'll find a way back in the future may be in the Betaphase when more optimization comes in.

I say not good bye but see you later alligator

Gesendet von meinem C6603 mit Tapatalk

Average 40fps with a 980ti and a 5820k, which are pretty powerful high end components, I think the ti can do a lot more, that ti can reach above 60fps all ultra on full or near full servers I am sure. Strange man it could be a bottleneck problem somewhere in hardware beside squad. Is the cpu overclocked? Try if there is change in fps perhaps. Also at what precise settings you running it? Cause that is a little vague and matters a lot. Turn off aa and af and also force disable the tessellation, clean install laters drivers, clean install squad, as above dev said, wipe cache. 

Edited by MDInteractive

thereandbackagain.jpg

Internet speed can effect game, give you lag, which looks like FPS drops.  But we see it's because you need a Super Computer!  Just kidding.  The game will improve we hope, where is your hope?

On 1/27/2017 at 1:42 PM, Endgame said:

I know i'm gonna regret this.. but: can you show me any evidence of that? a video for example? 

I would really like to see a video where a player with my PC Specs (or lower) runs Squad on 1920x1080 Reso, medium (or higher) settings, on a  full 70 slot server, getting a CONSTANT framerate of 60 or higher (visible in the video).

I would also really like to see that you don't get any mouse in-put lags, flickering or hit desyncs (aka broken netcode).

I'm not as into computer stuff as I once was, my specs are i5 6600k, 16GB, GTX 970, WIndows 7 64bit. It is pretty middle of the road as I understand it. My resolution is 1600x1200 in game. I definitely drop below 60 at times... but I will say pre v8 I was well below 60. Like in the 30's and 40s.

Welcome back @Endgame. Still salty about your application for the RedCoats being rejected I see. Calling me out and all that. Sorry I'm late to respond, holidays and RL commitments.

As for the topic:

There must be an issue your end somewhere. With the PC you have should not be getting those FPS drops like you are. 

Do you have any more information on the experience? Server? Game mode? As modes like insurgency tank the server performance with lots of deployables etc. I'm not saying this was the cause, just a question for more specific detail. I can't see why you would be getting performance hits like that.

As for net-code, yes it is an issue at the minute for a lot of the servers. But a lot of it is server dependant. I have seen better hit-reg on different servers. So it does seem to be more severe/worse depending on the server host's. 

Just a reminder, and don't try and claim this is a fan boy comment because it's simple truth. It hasn't been a year since release, so whining about the way squad plays vs other FPS titles is a bit deluded. It's been a year since EA launch. As you know (I would hope) the game isn't at full release yet. Once Squad IS released then sure, compare it. But due to this being alpha (yes I said it, the fact) then performance really isn't going to be on a comparable level to an FPS that is released, or has been released for X amount of years. I think it's fair to accept that. And throwing toys out the pram because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't true. 

Alpha performance =/= release performance.

I understand some of your frustrations, I have a few myself so I've been taking time away from the game. Maybe it's worth taking even more time out? The game is obviously not in a place you want it to be right now, that's fair enough. Save yourself the tears and come back in a few more months, or after a couple of updates.

Good feedback though. Constructive as always