catbref

team-killing messages

Quick and simple thread:

Back in PR we used to get messages pop up like "Team damage!" or "Team vehicle damage!" if we accidentally shot a team-mate or our team's vehicle.

Also teamkills would scroll up the screen too for everyone to see, including the killer and the victim.

Can we have this for Squad? As far as I know only the server admins get to see this info right now.

With all the server warnings about "you will be banned if you TK" and "always apologise in chat if you accidentally TK" it would certainly clarify things as I don't see any current way to know if you've TK'd someone unless they accuse you! 

I had someone accuse me of TK'ing recently but I'm sure I didn't as my spawn timer was under 40 seconds right after I died. If you TK it's over a minute, right? 

Just hoping it's a quick feature to add and might help reduce accidental TKs and arguments on servers!

(I play as medic a lot but "Hippocratic oath mode" might be a bit extreme)

If you TK someone it shows up on your screen. There's no system for team damage though. They don't broadcast every teamkill to everyone so that revenge teamkills aren't as common.

Supposedly the reason we don't have it is to discourage retaliation.

I have been wanting it very badly ever since I started running into people that shoot a teammate a single time from behind and leave the squad thinking there's an enemy out there shooting at your guys and it takes time to get people bandaged and ready to move on again.

I was playing a round of Fool's Road where it took me around twenty minutes to figure out my squad getting shot at as we were moving was a single teammate who tagged along and kept popping our guys.

How are you supposed to know it's a teammate doing it until you catch him? This isn't a one time thing either.

Just now, Rybec said:

Supposedly the reason we don't have it is to discourage retaliation.

I have been wanting it very badly ever since I started running into people that shoot a teammate a single time from behind and leave the squad thinking there's an enemy out there shooting at your guys and it takes time to get people bandaged and ready to move on again.

I was playing a round of Fool's Road where it took me around twenty minutes to figure out my squad getting shot at as we were moving was a single teammate who tagged along and kept popping our guys.

How are you supposed to know it's a teammate doing it until you catch him? This isn't a one time thing either.

This is exactly the reason I think it should still be broadcast, even if it results in retaliation.

Easiest way I can think of "*name* has been damage by friendly team mate." unfortunately as long as it's broadcast in any form, it'll still cause hate. That's for sure.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I agree that this is a needed feature, but I also don't like the idea that the whole server gets to see the message.

So I would suggest that the person who gets killed get a message of something like:

You have been killed by a teammate. (no name or anything)

And the person who teamkills get:

You killed a teammate, watch your fire!

And if you teamkill 2 times in under 4 minutes or something you get an automatic kick, or it just prompts the admin via a private message or whatever. And that counter could potentially be reset by the person writing "sorry" in team chat.

Something like that. You take away the blame, but you still get the info you need. And it should make it easier to moderate servers.

EDIT: This could also just be an addon or option for the servers to use, since it's not really that hard to code, might not even need to bring the game developers into it.

Edited by byis

"team damage" message would be an interesting addition. If it could happen fast it might prevent some tk's without much effect on gameplay. Not sure how it would effect server loads as it would have to be pretty fast to be effective.

If the devs for some miraculous reason decide to not add a variation of this to the game I will only be playing on modded servers that do.

TKers could be made to glow in a certain color, say red....So you can easily identify them in your squad.  And their guns could be made to jam up when they shoot at friendlies.  They pull the trigger and all they get is clicking noise no shots fired.  How long this penalty lasts....Not sure, maybe can only be removed when saying sorry and fess up. O.o

I was also been acused to TK a member of same squad, but I was already dead were 2 minutes before he died. The guy called me a moron and I still was kicked of the squad wrongly. A message from both sides would be ideal, to avoid these situations.

I've had a guy join a squad and play normally, then sporadically teamkill with a single headshot, not a lot so you think it could be enemy fire, someone camping a spawn maybe, or a sniper. Once we started to figure it out, he was also claiming to be a victim. It took a while to realize it was him. 

I've also fired on teammates at range by accident and have not known if I hit them or not. I apologized anyway, but it would have been nice to know.

I'd like to see messages of some sort.

Just a little FYI, in case you didn't know: server admins get a message like the one being proposed in this thread. This also adds to suicides. I could imagine that it would not be hard to integrate, given the information of the TK, is already being shared/transmitted.

I don't personally need this addition to the game, as I'd like to see people PID'ing their target, rather than shooting at them to find out if they are friendlies, but I do see your point.

A Public announcement of "You were Team-Killed by <noobz name >"

- should be all we need.

stop being paranoid that this will "encourage" revenge-style killings. revenge-killers will be caught out in some way by the admins or the community.

The other option is to allow server settings for Freindly Fire (ON or OFF)  . . .

If the community is bad to the point where revenge killing is this large of a problem, then you do not need admins to check for who teamkilled or suicided, but insteas need admins to ban(not kick) those members of the community. Get it together, we're supposed to be an improvement/alongside PR, but we cant even nail basic manners or respect.

I agree on adding a global message, makes this clear. 'Revenge killers' get punished regardless anyways. theres no need to be scared.

Best solution that I can come up with is adding a team vote-kick mechanic and and flashing TKs for just the one team. If the teamkiller gives an explanation in chat, then it is unlikely that the team will kick him. No admins needed.

Also make it so that you cannot be kicked by vote unless you have inflicted damage to friendlies, so that a large group of players cannot gang up and have free reign. If someone really needs to be kicked for a reason other than TKs, then that should be up to an admin.