RipGroove

Separate mouse sensitivity while aiming?

29 posts in this topic

Is this ever likely to be a thing in Squad? I like my sensitivity quite high when walking around and it's great for quick QCB engagements but it's a real pain in the ass when trying to acquire a medium to long range target.

It's not 'so' bad for me when sniping as I just knock the dpi down on my mouse as it has dedicated buttons but that's just not viable option when on patrol while using iron sights/red dots.

A game called 'Insurgency' on Steam which many of you are probably already aware of has 3 in game sensitivity sliders: normal/iron sights/scoped which IMO work really really well. At the very least I think Squad needs a separate slider for ADS sensitivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a thread on this, feel the same way. I set mine to 25 right now because being able to engage at longer ranges i IMO more important than being able to turn around faster, but it means that I have to swipe my mouse practically across the desk to do a 180. Devs, please...

Did a thread on this, feel the same way. I set mine to 25 right now because being able to engage at longer ranges i IMO more important than being able to turn around faster, but it means that I have to swipe my mouse practically across the desk to do a 180. Devs, please...

Yeah exactly, I'm not one for full arm movements with the mouse, I basically do it all with my wrist so I pretty much have to have my sensitivity high/fast.

I think I did get it working in Squad last year sometime with a mouse script, I seem to remember being able to have a lower dpi while the right mouse button was held down but I remember that something else in the game didn't quite work well. It was probably fine for sniping but to slow for when I was using iron sights, which is exactly why we need actual in game integration of it. The way I had it made it fast for walking around and hip firing but all ADS was slow so tracking targets quickly across the screen with iron sights and red dots was too slow.

I agree with this. Each optic magnification should have a different sensitivity slider IMO (hip fire, iron sight/red dot, acog, sniper). I don't care about FOV, I just want separate sensitivity. It was the first thing I noticed when I bought the game yesterday (excellent so far by the way).

I think this would be an awesome addition to the game. I would love to have different sliders for iron sights, red dot, acog, etc. Or having an ADS sensitivity slider and another while you have your gun lowered. 

I would like a separate aim sensitivity for vehicle turrets. I have mine at 24 and that is fine for a soldier, but when I get in a turret it is way to slow to be useful.

On 20/01/2017 at 4:49 PM, RipGroove said:

Is this ever likely to be a thing in Squad?

It's already implemented. AFAIK it was a thing for as long as Squad exists.

bEnableFOVScaling=True
FOVScale=0.011110

It changes mouse sensitivity depending on your current FOV(no zoom, IDS, 4x scope, etc.).

Don't know why they haven't added it to in-game options.

Edited by Skul

It's already implemented. AFAIK it was a thing for as long as Squad exists.

bEnableFOVScaling=True
FOVScale=0.011110

It changes mouse sensitivity depending on your current FOV(no zoom, IDS, 4x scope, etc.).

Don't know why they haven't added it to in-game options.

Really?! I'll have a look, thanks.

I would like a separate aim sensitivity for vehicle turrets. I have mine at 24 and that is fine for a soldier, but when I get in a turret it is way to slow to be useful.

I suspect this is intentional, to keep turrets rotating at a realistic speed instead of spinning around at hyper speed like in the Battlfield games.

a scope will always have a higher sensitivity, the bigger the magnification the more sensible it is, so why

taking this away jsut to get an advantage in the game, i don't get it...

a scope will always have a higher sensitivity, the bigger the magnification the more sensible it is, so why

Yes but a human can move very slowly and very quickly in real life, this range of very slow to very quick cannot be portrayed by a mouse mat that's 300mm long.

It's not about getting an advantage it's about making the game more realistic. Humans can turn on a dime very quickly when needed and also move extremely slowly when needed (while aiming a scope for example), both of these movements should be accurately available to players in the game. As it is now in game we can either have everything very quick or everything very slow, not realistic at all...

that's right, BUT, even if you move a scoped weapon very very slowly the sight picture will still be very sensitive and "shaky",

so having the mouse movement reduced when aiming down spoces would be extremely unrealistic. if  you need a fast mouse movement

without using scoped than you have to live with the fact that it will be extremely sensitive when using scopes, it's a compromise of course

and you have to work around it. if you set the mouse to a lovwer sensitivity then aiming with scopes will be easier but you will not be able to react quickly

looking around, i think that's OK and fair.

We use the mouse in game for both character movement (pivoting) and for aiming, the mouse has to somehow replicate both of those movements which simply cannot be done with one sensitivity.

A human can pivot on the spot almost instantly but then use a completely different muscle group when led prone aiming a rifle for instance so in real life there is no compromise or happy medium between the two so I don't see why there should be in game. In real life the two movements are completely different yet in game they've been combined to one method of control, the mouse.

Just because in real life you can turn on the spot very quickly doesn't mean your movements while aiming a rifle are also very quick.

9 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

you consistently make really bad posts

6 hours ago, RipGroove said:

Just because in real life you can turn on the spot very quickly doesn't mean your movements while aiming a rifle are also very quick.

that's not what i am talking about, fact is the sensitivity wehn using a scope is higher.

having a high mouse sensitivity for "looking" and a lower sensitivity for aiming,

(which does help immensely and that's why people want this ;)) is simply wrong. it gives a big advantage but it's wrong.

39 minutes ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

you consistently make really bad posts

thanks! :)

i guess that's because i am from a different generation, where gamig required skill to be better and not an ingame option ;)

16 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

a scope will always have a higher sensitivity, the bigger the magnification the more sensible it is

In fact, all scopes in Squad(and even when you aim down iron sight) have lower sensitivity compared to the sensitivity when you don't ADS.

Let's say your sensitivity 36 cm/360° when you don't ADS. Meaning you need to move your mouse by 36 cm to make a circle around yourself. When you ADS with sniper rifle, you will need to move your mouse more than by 36 cm to turn by 360°. It means your scope have a lower sensitivity compared to the state when you don't ADS. Don't need to take my words for it, go test it.

13 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

that's right, BUT, even if you move a scoped weapon very very slowly the sight picture will still be very sensitive and "shaky",

Em, no. Because of bEnableFOVScaling=True and FOVScale=0.011110. Because of these 2 settings both of them will be Ok.

without using scoped than you have to live with the fact that it will be extremely sensitive when using scopes, it's a compromise of course

It isn't extremely sensitive when you play with sensitivity like 46 cm / 360°. Most people play with sensitivities in 10-25 cm range(very sensitive). It's not the game. It's just your bad settings.

and you have to work around it. if you set the mouse to a lovwer sensitivity then aiming with scopes will be easier but you will not be able to react quickly

You mean, something like this?

Done with 46 cm / 360° sensitivity.

Edited by Skul

6 hours ago, FIXXXER said:

that's not what i am talking about, fact is the sensitivity wehn using a scope is higher.

No, it's lower(source: game files, tests). Check your claims before you go to the forums and claim something like that without even testing it.

having a high mouse sensitivity for "looking" and a lower sensitivity for aiming,

(which does help immensely and that's why people want this ;)) is simply wrong. it gives a big advantage but it's wrong.

That's exactly what most of the games, like, CS:GO, BF series, Insurgency, Quake Live and others have(including Squad).

In CSGO variable which is responsible for zoom sensitivity is zoom_sensitivity_ratio_mouse.

Looks like you've got no idea what you're talking about, man.

thanks! :)

i guess that's because i am from a different generation, where gamig required skill to be better and not an ingame option ;)

You mean like CS 1.6(1999)? Crossfire(2007)? Battlefield 2(2004)? Quake 3(1999)? Half-life(1998)?

There's your different generation, where gaming required skill to be better. And I've just listed for you few of the best e-Sports and skill-based games in the whole gaming history.

Well, you know what? All of these games have zoom sensitivity ratios(just as Squad).

http://www.hltv.org/?pageid=18&threadid=78677

http://www.esreality.com/post/2235053/zoom-fov-and-zoom-sensitivity/

https://progamercity.net/cf-guides/884-crossfire-sniping.html

Never knew a person can be so clueless and wrong about so many things at the same time. And that's fine. I just don't understand why would this person come to the forums and claim things that he doesn't know and understand himself.

Edited by Skul

unfortunately you are the one who does not understand a single thing,

scopes have higher sensitivity than let's say iron sights  and surprise surprise

i am refering to a god damn REAL LIFE situation.

it's this way in real life and it should be this way in a realistic game.

everything comes with pro's and con's, with a scope you can see further but

your aim is way more sensitive.

move the rifle 1mm and you will miss by 1meter at certain ranges.

having different sensitivities in the game will eleminate the con's and make it

1. easier to play and 2. less realistic that's why i think that it's bad but well,

some people simply do not want to understand...

in general making things realistic is the BEST way to balance a game, if it was for me personally i would restrict the moving sensitivity

by adding realistic physics that only allow as much movement as possible in real life.

for example, if you are carrying an LMG, well this thing is sort of heavy, you can not swing it around 360° like nothing.

more weight>slower moving, does that make sense?

this would automatically lead people to start playing a bit more seriously and it would require more skill and patience.

you may think of something like this as a major disadwantage but it isn't, especially when it counds for everybody.

oh, btw FOV should be fixed for everybody! ;)

graphic settings should be somewhat fixed, for example, having terrain detail on LOW vs HIGH

is a day and night difference. i like to play on HIGH as it looks much better and adds to the

immersion but it is such an disadvantage

when facing people who have the details set on LOW.

i am crouching in deep grass thinking that the enemy won't see me and all the enemies see is me crouching like an idiot

on an open field. is this balanced or competitive in any way? nope i don't think so.

but that's how it works today, people will rather spend hours of tweaking settings to get the most advantage out of it instead of

investing the same time to actually learn/adapt to the game and get better by developing a sense and feeling for this certain game.

as you have mentioned games like CS and BF above i am going to tell you something you probably won't understand.

when i was younger i enjoyed playing fighting games. so, while everybody else was picking the characters who had the best

and easiest moves i always picked the chararters whosy fighting style i liked even it was sure that these characters were not the best

when i came to balance. what do fighting games have to with this? well, nothing i am talking about the mindset of people.

looking at battlefield, i was an very active BF3 player. the game has such an extreme variety of weapons and customization and guess what, everybody was running around with the same rigle, the same suppressor the same foregrip etc. get the point?

it was simple stat comparison and even the game was trying to be as balanced as possible at the end people found the

things that worked together best and used this exclusively.

in my case i always used the guns that were optically the most appealing, as for the mods i modded the rifle to the point where i liked

it optically, i did not give a **** about the stats and i was by all menas not a bad player back then ;)

Edited by FIXXXER

cleaned up a few posts.
keep it civil.

Thank you.

oh, btw FOV should be fixed for everyone.

Well that also makes no sense either because for example I use a 21:9 Ultrawide monitor so therefore have an FOV advantage, how would you solve that?

Squad isn't the competitive E-Sports game you think it is.

what you are doing with you screen is another thing,

the FOV ingame should be fixed, just as the graphics settings, mouse sensitivity etc.

the game should be way more hardcore than it is in it's current state.

i also absolutely do not think of SQUAD as a competitive shooter, i just do not want this to become another COD clone.

Edited by FIXXXER