Sign in to follow this  

Sup' everyone,

So I think that a lot of the things that I will talk about in this post might have been talked about between the devs, but I havent seen anything about it on the forums. So what i'd like to talk about is the

-Main menu & options

-Add friends in-game

-Create squads

First of all i'd like to talk about the options i'd personally like to see in the main menu, and for that I have made a small concept main menu.

Posted Image

((BACKGROUND IMAGE BY MELBO SEE THREAD http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/250-melbos-thread-of-war-stuff/ ))

Above you can see a main menu as I personally love them. Giving a lot of information and options in a clean format.

First of all we've got the option 'quik match' which I think everyone is familiar with, this just allowes you to instantly join a game on your own if you do not want to join a specific server / just dont care. You would be able to select an amount of players, which mode, and which maps you would like to play.

After that we have the option 'play with friends' which also kind of speaks for itself, this would allow you to create a squad and invite friends before you even enter a server. This way you could just hang around in the lobby waiting for all your friends to arrive and drop into action together. The squadleader (creator of the squad) can invite,kick, and give other players the right to invite so they can invite their friends. I'd like to see the option to invite friends in-game so I dont have to add them on steam if I don't want to.

After that we have the good old 'server browser' no explanation needed there. Im sure it will include all information and options such as 'history' (shows previously played servers) 'favorites' (shows servers you have added to your favorit list) 'friends' (shows the servers your friends are playing on) and ofcourse the 'internet' (shows all servers) which should show your ping, if its locked or not , current players / max players, mode, map name, how far in to the round the server is, and maybe even if a friend is playing on it, or if you have previously joined it.

Than we have the 'statistics' option, now I dont know if this game will keep track of your kills, deaths, revives, if it will have leaderboards of some sort? But if it did, i'd definetly like to have the option to see all your stats, maybe even your friends stats.

The option 'manual' speaks for itself too, i'd like to have a link on the main menu to a .pdf or a forum thread with the full manual in there.

An option 'forums' to quickly reach the forums from the main menu.

'credits' and 'quit' explain themselves.

Besides all of this, i'd love to see this image from melbo be the background on the game menu. I absolutely frikin love this image it would just need a few adjustments.

I know most of this stuff is obvious, and will probably be in the game, anyways let me know if you like or dont like some of the options I gave here, and if you miss anything on this list.

cheers,

TickL Me Tibbers

It looks nice. The logo in the middle and on the left makes it a little redundant though.

Agreed, the logo on the left could perhaps be left there and we could enjoy the scenery without the middle-logo ;) ? The menu being in the left is a design pattern that has proven to be quite working one in the past - people are familiar with the concept. Although should the discussion of what type of information is needs to be shown in this view be discussed in suggestions or somwhere esle - at least "quick match", "create squad", and "statistics" sound to me as a feature that are needed to discuss more.

i know, that was what i meant with changing the background image a bit. Melbo provided the image with the logo already on it. Also I would like the logo on the left to be in a gold gradient just like the other text, it would give an amazing effect. But this is just a concept.

Meh, that looks pretty bad. Why would a main menu button alt-tab from a game, open another program that shows... a PDF. Makes no sense and would be very annoying if you'd misclick on it. 

The whole screen also shows exactly 1 information - number of friends currently online.

Now let's look at a good main menu layout:

Posted Image

Here you have a lot of useful info nicely shown on 1 screen. It doesn't just show number of friend online, it shows what and where they're playing. It also shows your quick stats. And the main part could easily be customized to show (in tabs) latest news, forums, manual etc.

Much better and useful.

I don't like the yellow color and I think it's too early to create community content. We don't know anything about the look and feel of the game.

Correct me if i'm wrong lol

Here you have a lot of useful info nicely shown on 1 screen. It doesn't just show number of friend online, it shows what and where they're playing. It also shows your quick stats. And the main part could easily be customized to show (in tabs) latest news, forums, manual etc.

I disagree, I would never want a main menu as encumbersome as that.

Personally, I would like special attention paid to the server browser. It should be able to display detailed server info. It would also be very important to show how long the current round has been going on. Players like me prefer to join a server closer to when the round is about to end, and having functionality to help us do that would be awesome.

I disagree, I would never want a main menu as encumbersome as that.

Personally, I would like special attention paid to the server browser. It should be able to display detailed server info. It would also be very important to show how long the current round has been going on. Players like me prefer to join a server closer to when the round is about to end, and having functionality to help us do that would be awesome.

I'll add that in the main post, its an awesome idea.

Much better and useful.

Couldn't disagree more.

As TickL says above me, a clean and simple main menu would be tops. None of this news, friends, ranks crap. If I want to look at that information I'll click the button for it. Plus with Steam overlay (as per what the devs have said about it being hopefully on Steam at some point) it makes that reasonably redundant anyway. The CS:GO example is a product of an overly complex game with so many ins and outs. That menu UI also adjusts terribly on smaller screens.

Focus should be completely be on entering the game as quickly as possible and for a menu that looks exactly the same regardless of screen size.

Not particularly a fan of the design but I understand what you're getting at OP. 

Couldn't disagree more.

As TickL says above me, a clean and simple main menu would be tops. None of this news, friends, ranks crap. If I want to look at that information I'll click the button for it. Plus with Steam overlay (as per what the devs have said about it being hopefully on Steam at some point) it makes that reasonably redundant anyway. The CS:GO example is a product of an overly complex game with so many ins and outs. That menu UI also adjusts terribly on smaller screens.

Focus should be completely be on entering the game as quickly as possible and for a menu that looks exactly the same regardless of screen size.

Not particularly a fan of the design but I understand what you're getting at OP.

At least someone knows what I was talking about, also I designed the menu concept as I like it. I personally love it like this except for the squad icon top left corner, i'd like that to be gold too but im too lazy to photoshop that right now. Anyways everybody likes something different, but the main thing i was hoping to reach with this thread is what we would like to see. A clean menu, or a clusterfuck of information? If we would like a quik play option etc.

cheers,

So you guys would actually prefer to have a button for things like Manual and Forums that alt-tabs you out of the game and launches another program instead of having the possibility to show it while in-game? And if server browser is the priority than simply display that in the first tab instead of News. This way you could see what and where your friends are playing and what servers are populated, instantly. Your main-menu looks like one from 2002 - useless.

So you guys would actually prefer to have a button for things like Manual and Forums that alt-tabs you out of the game and launches another program instead of having the possibility to show it while in-game?

If it werent possible in-game, there is always this thing called confirmation request, so it doesn't alt+tab you out of the game when misclicking.

For god's sake, just don't make top menu, it is one of the worst thing developers made.

For the style, I don't care, but I would like to see video background, same as in BF2:PR. Becouse, It was great looking. My friend, that did not know anything about PR just from seeing the background video said "well, that looks like serious gaming"

Too much yellow. I'd like to see another colour instead.

Please guys this isnt about how the menu should look like as in graphics, it is in what you would like to see and how. I just quikly created a main menu concept that shows a minimal menu. Nothing else on the front page, no news, no friends list etc.