Sign in to follow this  
Aniallator

Incentive to fully dig deployables

Right now, the only incentive to fully dig a deployable is so that it would take longer for the enemy to dig it up. However, really the only time the enemy digs up deployables is when they dig up razorwire/sandbags blocking the entrance to a cache/FOB building. Deployables have four stages, in order; when they haven't been built (0%), when they're partially built (~30%), when they're built to the point where they're usable or visually appear fully built (~60%), and when they're actually fully built and can't be shoveled any more (100%). The problem I see is that there's no real incentive to build deployables all the way to the fourth stage, and people often stop shoveling at the third stage.

My suggestion is that the second stage should occur when the deployable is 50% built, the third stage gets ditched, and instead the second stage is followed by the fourth stage at 100%, meaning deployables must be fully dug to be usable.

Though a formal solution might sound alluring, I prefer the laissez faire approach. The approach is to communicate to other SLs and get those SLs to order their squad mates to dig. I hate the nanny state.

4 hours ago, Aniallator said:

Deployables have four stages, in order; when they haven't been built (0%), when they're partially built (~30%), when they're built to the point where they're usable or visually appear fully built (~60%), and when they're actually fully built and can't be shoveled any more (100%)

Surprised it is even staged, as you describe.

If the above bit  is true - 60% = usable asset - then the simple fix is to not allow access or usability of said asset until it is 100% built.

Same goes with damage taken to the asset - if  the build/health of the asset is less than 100%, then it needs to be built/repaired to 100% before being usable again.

This way the asset  must be fully Dug to be usable.

Surprised it is not this way already, tbh.

2 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

Surprised it is even staged, as you describe.

If the above bit  is true - 60% = usable asset - then the simple fix is to not allow access or usability of said asset until it is 100% built.

Same goes with damage taken to the asset - if  the build/health of the asset is less than 100%, then it needs to be built/repaired to 100% before being usable again.

This way the asset  must be fully Dug to be usable.

Surprised it is not this way already, tbh.

That's what I'm suggesting, yeah. I'm surprised it's not this way already as well. Next time you're fobbing up, just take note of when a deployable becomes built/usable and then how long you can continue shoveling it after that until it's actually "done". Shoveling an HMG, it feels like a good 30 seconds of extra shoveling to have it 100% built.

The OP is 100% correct. Some assets like Hesco walls are more useful 1/2 built since they are flat on top. The ONLY reason to fully dig anything is it takes longer to undig. Having only 3 stages would be far more logical.

Edited by LugNut