RipGroove

Holy Sh!t Ultrawide + G-Sync +Squad is AWESOME

I bit the bullet and bought a used Acer Predator X34A Ultrawide 1440p monitor. I was fed up with jagged edges and the jerky movements whenever my frame rate dropped below 60 (I was using a 1080p 60Hz display before). My only concerns were that my PC might struggle with Squad at 1440p as I was seeing 40-80fps at 1080p on average. (i74790k @ 4.7Ghz & 980ti FTW) and that going from a 43" display down to a 34" might be underwhelming. The size isn't really an issue because all I did was move the new smaller display 10" closer to where I sit, problem solved. I'll probably still keep my 43" display setup somehow for when playing racing sims as I sit way back when using the wheel and pedals.

And so far 1440p with no in game AA has made the shimmering jagged edges almost non existent, they are still there a little but nowhere near as obnoxious and annoying as they were before and G-Sync is just amazing, I just jumped into a full server and surrounded my self with smoke and made my frame rate drop to 40 and it was exactly buttery smooth. With my old 60Hz display literally any frame rate under 60 would be jerky.

I'm sure with the current version of Squad my FPS will dip below 40 at some rare points in the game, surrounded by smoke while being suppressed etc so I'll see if G-Sync helps at that low a level of FPS but those moments in game are quite rare so we'll see. For now though I'm extremely happy as the game optimisation can only get better so hopefully from now on I can just turn off my FPS counter and enjoy the game!

Oh, and Ultrawide, OMG, absolutely perfect for Squad.

EDIT/ added photos:

DSC01885_zps82yoernf.jpg

DSC01884_zpsxs8fp6hf.jpg

HighresScreenshot00000_zps0msptog8.png

I'll post some photos after I've changed a few things around, my whole setup was built to work around the 43" TV so all I've done at the minute is pull the TV out and drop the new monitor in, I need to change a few things around to make it photo worthy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of VERY quick photos, bear in mind I've literally just dropped this on to my desk and no thought has gone in to how everything is right now with the new monitor. And quite clearly there's dust all up in my lens so sorry about that.

I actually really don't like the look of the monitor or the stand (probably going to wall mount it on a gas arm so i can move it around depending on what I'm doing or playing at the time so at least that'll rid me of the stand.

click to enlarge

DSC01885_zps82yoernf.jpg

click to enlarge

DSC01884_zpsxs8fp6hf.jpg

And a very quick crude in game screenshot at native 3440x1440 to give you an idea of the in game field of view at 21:9

click to enlarge

HighresScreenshot00000_zps0msptog8.png

Edited by RipGroove

Lookin' verynice indeed.

Thanks, I'm just glad I can finally play Squad without all the sub 60fps stuttering. And as a bonus it's upped the res to 1440p so all round it's been a very useful upgrade. To me personally the expense was well justified because now I can stop trying to get my PC to play at an absolute minimum of 60fps (which was proving pretty hard).

First full game I played on the new monitor I had the most kills in the server (25) and I'm sure this was down to being able to relax more and concentrate on the game because there was no lagging/stuttering etc and also because of the increased resolution and field of view.

Also have 21:9. Bought the Asus RoG PG348Q. Makes a big difference in Squad... can drive with map open, can see much more peripherally. I was skeptical about the benefits of 21:9, but I wouldn't go back to 16:9.

14457552_10154327970440813_7973009142626035364_n[1].jpg

Edited by eggman

Also have 21:9. Bought the Asus RoG PG348Q. Makes a big difference in Squad... can drive with map open, can see much more peripherally. I was skeptical about the benefits of 21:9, but I wouldn't go back after playing with a 21:9 monitor.

14457552_10154327970440813_7973009142626035364_n[1].jpg

I nearly bought that one actually, just the X34A came up at a good price, basically the same.

I don't think I'd go back now either.

Glad to hear you like it! I was considering getting a 1440p monitor myself but was skeptical if my rig could handle the upgrade from 1080p.  I have a i54690k and a MSI GTX 1070. I usually hover around 60ish (dips in huge firefights however I running an increased res scale) on a fully populated server but was afraid with the new monitor FPS would decrease and it would look worse.  You might have talked me into at least a 27inch 1440p.  I think I should be able to lower the res scale some.

Well, I still got a decent FPS when switching to 1440p but G-Sync has helped massively when the FPS does dip. Hopefully game optimisation will improve at some point.